Help needed for this YA fantasy blurb

Update Feb. 22, 2024

Genre: YA fantasy

Any thoughts are welcomed! :blush:

Blurb 2

Seventeen year old Eryn tries to be like her popular friend, ignoring the icky feelings when acting selfish, and ends up avoiding her family when they need her the most. She discovers an old bracelet in her late grandmother’s room. It transports her to the surreal land of Upperland where the Red Queen wants a power called “the alyce” which can unlock Eryn’s world. It’s extraction could put her life at risk!

After escaping the Red Queen, Eryn goes into Underland and meets a friendly little hare boy, Duxim. He takes her to the Red Queen’s sister for help, but it’s too late. The manifestation of madness, the Jabberwocky, controls the White Queen, too.

Then the Red Queen’s army captain, Ace of Hearts, appears and claims Eryn’s alyce permanently freed him from the Jabberwocky. This stirs belief in its future defeat. But if Eryn can’t figure out how to use the alyce, it would have to be extracted. Eryn is frightened and wants to go home.

Her heart wavers as Ace of Hearts, Duxim, and others need her, but to her surprise, they’re also willing to give up and help her get home if that’s what she really wants. But time is running out as the Jabberwocky’s power is growing, threatening to destroy Upperland and Underland. Eryn must make a decision soon.

Tick tock, tick tock…

Final blurb?? Here

2 Likes

Your blurb sounds super fun!! Though i do associate this with more of a middle grade feel, but that’s probably because of the whimsical nature of alice in the wonderland. Still, it captures the adventurous and urgent tone you were hopefully looking for?

2 Likes

Thank you!

Hmm, since I wrote Blurb 1, people are responding that it’s middle grade :stuck_out_tongue: Interesting.

I wrote up a Blurb 2 above. What do you think?

Anyone have thoughts on this new blurb?

@J.L.O @Akje @TheMidnightAssassin
dragging you guys in but not forcing you to answer if you don’t feel like it :wink:

1 Like

I know nothing about teen fiction or whether it has any conventions for blurbs, but this sounds great to me! (*^-‘) 乃

1 Like

if: of: misprint.

Other than that, it feels like it tells most the basics of the story, which is better for younger readers. This would be shorter and more mysterious for an adult book.

But it definitely covers everything important.

2 Likes

ooops, thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

Think that one is better? Do you think, like a cover, a blurb can’t please everyone, too? Facebook people told me I wrote a synopsis, and not a blurb, so I cut it to this:

Seventeen year old Eryn wants nothing more than to be popular with her best friend, but her world turns upside down when she puts on an old bracelet discovered in her late grandmother’s room. Transported to the surreal lands of Upperland and Underland, two queens try to capture her for a power called “the alyce” which can unlock Eryn’s world. Its extraction could cost her life!

During her escape, she meets a queen’s army captain Ace of Hearts who claims Eryn used the alyce to free him from the Jabberwocky, the manifestation of madness.

The Jabberwocky’s power turns friends into enemies. Time is running out. Eryn must figure out how to use the alyce, or have it extracted.

Tick tock, tick tock…

I looked at YA Fantasy books that came out new on Amazon and the blurbs range anywhere from 120-220 words.

So, really, Blurb 2 is probably fine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

This definitely has the feel of “come read this to find out more” without “let me tell you all about it”.

1 Like

I think I want it to do “come read this to find out more”.

Last attempt for the night, I tried to play on that “selfish” part of Eryn. She doesn’t care, but she does learn to care.

Someone on facebook suggested “Eryn’s home world” and I think that will satisfy the few confused people caught on “Eryn’s world”.

Seventeen-year-old Eryn is a popular girl who acts selfish although conflicted with her own actions. One day, a bracelet discovered in her late grandmother’s room transports her to a surreal realm where two queens try to capture her for a power called “the alyce” which can open the door to Eryn’s home world. It’s extraction could cost her life!

During her escape, Eryn meets a friendly little hare boy Duxim, and an army captain Ace of Hearts. Ace claims Eryn used the alyce to free him from the Jabberwocky, the manifestation of madness. Many around her, including Duxim, now believe Eryn can defeat the Jabberwocky.

Focusing on going home would mean turning her back on Duxim, Ace, and other new friends, and is that who Eryn really is? But if she decides to help, she would need to figure out how to use the alyce before it’s too late.

The Jabberwocky’s power is growing, and friends turn into enemies. Time is running out.

Tick tock, tick tock…

2 Likes

popular mean girl is more concise.

1 Like

I’m afraid that writing “mean girl” in the first sentence might put people off :sweat_smile:

Then the long route is justified.

1 Like

Seventeen-year-old Eryn is popular for her looks and acts selfish to keep her status although she’s conflicted within herself. One day, an old bracelet transports her to a surreal realm where two queens try to capture Eryn for a power called “the alyce” which can open the door to Eryn’s home world. It’s extraction could cost her life!

During her escape, Eryn meets a friendly little hare boy named Duxim, a quiet soldier named Clue, and an army captain called Ace of Hearts. For decades, they had all been living in fear of the manifestation of madness, the Jabberwocky. When Ace claims Eryn’s power freed him from madness, she’s suddenly seen as a potential hero.

Eryn could focus only on going home, but she would be turning her back on Duxim, Ace, Clue, and other new friends. Is that who she really is? But to help, she would need to figure out how to use the alyce before it’s too late.

Madness and violence are spreading. Total destruction may not be far behind.

Tick tock, tick tock…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.