Hey, to those who use pc computers only!

So, I’ve been thinking a lot, about technology.

The thing is that when I need a computer STRICTLY FOR writing only.
It can be a pc desktop computer and/or small-ish laptop.

I say laptop because if I plan on going somewhere to focus on writing, then I rather have that.

Honestly, I say this purely for distraction reasons and to strictly focus on writing and things of that nature.

I am torn because sometime next year, there will be a Windows 12 and I currently have Windows 11.

I would like to go back to Windows 10, but I worried because I read that Microsoft will get rid of Windows 10 in 2025.

I mean I’ll have it again for this year and next year along with half of 2025, than I can purchase something newer when things go great, but still.

I don’t have too much of an issue with that, but I am so used to Windows 11 that it feels weird to go backwards like that.

I want to get another desktop computer or laptop to make it happen.

I am still waiting to regain money once more like I did in the past and things may change after a certain phone call, yet I am really torn about this.

What are your thoughts and feelings on this?

NOTE: I HATE APPLE PRODUCTS AND I AM NOT BUILDING A GAMING PC!!! ALSO, I WOULD ACCEPT AN ALL-ONE-DESKTOP AND/OR A 15.6 LAPTOP!!!

I shall thing recommendations of that nature.

I lack money now and I could sell stuff (very iffy about that), but I just need some answers.

Sorry, for being a pest.

I used my stimulus check to purchase my gaming computer. Bad decision in hindsight. At the time I had a stable job and income, bought my pc, four months later and I hit a financial decline.

Honestly still happy I have it tho. I bought an Alienware gaming computer. It has shit storage, but that’s easily fixable if you purchase a terabyte block. It runs really smoothly, has its own programmable settings/update tracker that keeps your PC running well, and it has really cool customization–you can change the color on your PC and the little alienhead is cute. Still have Windows 10, hoping that Windows 11 will become better before I decide to upgrade.

Also hate apple products, but they have their place. My boyfriend has a Macbook and he says it runs really well and is great for organization/productivity and I can’t help but agree. I owned an apple phone for a few years before switching to Android.

Overall, kinda hate apple because of their shitty business practices but I gotta admit it’s the most organized piece of platform and is really good for people who need to keep track of their social media and other types of accessible information, great for people who work on computers.

I personally use my laptop to write on, mainly because my PC monitor is ginormous and I don’t like the big screen lol. My laptop is a hand-me-down from my brother so it’s kinda old, but it’s touch-screen which is something I’ve always wanted.

Overall, I think if you’re looking to purchase a nice gaming computer I would either look into constructing one and I do recommend alienware, it’s pretty nice and simple. Also runs games well! Recently played BG3, DAO, DAII, and DAI on it and it all ran smoothly. Also tried out the Diablo IV game and it ran great, too

1 Like

My two cents: build / buy an AMD AM5 system, and look for a CPU with an integrated Graphics Card (GPU). AM4 is last generation technology, and has a limited shelf-life. 16GB RAM (DDR5) should be enough for graphics (GPU) + word processing. 32GB RAM is almost overkill. Also look for a 500GB / 1TB SSD M.2 PCIe for your main Windows OS drive. This should give you plenty of space for software and documents…always backup your documents on other drives / media…

1 Like

I thought about getting a laptop for my writing but I got a desktop instead because I got into PC gaming. I absolutely love my desktop for writing. I take a notebook with me everywhere and write by hand when I’m not at my desktop. This works better for me than a laptop. But having a PC with two big monitors where I can see everything I’m doing, my documents, my notes, my outlines etc. all at the same time is so great for my writing projects. I use Google drive for pretty much everything but having a terabyte of storage on my PC is great for downloads, pictures, fan art, whatever…all stuff that a laptop memory usually doesn’t accommodate…along with a bunch of games haha.

I rebuilt my PC from a 2010 Dell Xeon I got for free off Craigslist. I updated the specs, replaced the processor, etc–that’s another benefit is that specs are easier to update on a PC rather than a laptop so you can keep it pretty much forever…hell mine is over a decade old and it’ll have a good bit more life in it because all the specs are new. I did the entire upgrade for less than $500 (got lucky with the video card though, my friend gave me a NVIDIA 2080 for free when he upgraded to the 3000 series). However, even if I had bought a new PC it would’ve ben worth the investment. I definitely recommend a desktop over a laptop. This thing is f*cking awesome.

2 Likes

Oh, this is my current PC parts wish-list for a word doc + flight / driving sim + photo editing + Stable Diffusion / Daz-3D computer system…For word processing alone, ‘overkill’ would be an award-winning understatement…

R.I.P. Bank account.

CPU: AMD AM5 7600 (or AM5 7700)
M/B: ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus
RAM: DDR5 Kingston 56000Mhz 64GB (x2 32GB kits)
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3060 12GB
OS Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 M.2 EVO Plus
Steam / DCS Drive: 2TB Samsung 970 M.2 EVO Plus
SD / Daz-3D Drive: As Above
PSU: 1000-Watt Gold-Rating NZXT C1000
Monitor: Either the 27" or 32" Samsung Odyssey G55TB curved 2K monitor…No 4K monitors within my price range…
Flight-Sim HOTAS: Logitech G Pro Flight X56 Rhino
Driving Wheel: Logitech G29 + Logitech shifter

Not listed: chair, keyboard + mouse, CPU cooler, and PC case

1 Like

I use mainly Mac OS now, for music production, video editing, and writing things.

My problem with Windows 11 for what I want to do, is that it has too much forced bloatware and it’s hard to just focus when you’re using it for anything other than gaming. I only use Windows for gaming now, and not productivity tasks. I am a lot more focused when I use my Powerbook G4 12-inch from 2004 without all the crap surrounding me when I write. Windows 7, XP, and 95/98 were great, Vista was garbage, and Windows 8/10 and 11 for me have been garbage too (not as bad as Vista).

I prefer the Mac OS Pre OS 11 system when it was less bloated, but for me, using Mac OS is the “lesser” of the two evils from a productivity standpoint. I don’t have pop-ups attacking me, forced updates, all these pre-installed Microsoft Apps that are useless, and a Windows system that is impossible to navigate. Everything is right there for me. In front of me, laid out simply. Saves me time trying to search for things.

I have an iMac 2019 and it works for what I want it to work for, and I have sufficient storage space and a 4TB drive. But if you’re a gamer, and you want to stick with what you know, then I guess you are better off on Windows. But I fell out of love with it because of those reasons. Just not for me, and what I want to do. Other people might love Windows, and that’s fine, too.

But if you are interested in laptops, my laptop is an Ideapad Gaming 3 from Lenovo; it is a budget gaming laptop, but the keyboard on it for typing is very nice, and its gameplay is great. The screen is also anti-glare, which would be great for strong lighting conditions. I don’t use it much, but when I do, it’s nice because of those things @anon39043209

1 Like

@JohnnyTuturro, @MatthewJH, @lowarlo, and @RowanCarver:

Are you all suggesting to purchase a gaming pc or gaming laptop just for writing?

1 Like

No, just saying what I have and that the keyboard is nice and it was cheap :joy: and it works well for gaming, but also typing is nice on it in Word.

1 Like

No…Well, only if the PC is a tax deduction or a wealthy benefactor’s gift…

1 Like

What recommendations do you all suggest?

Show pictures!

Soley for writing? Maybe not. If you plan to play videogames on it or download a lot of apps, I do recommend one.

I use mine for gaming a lot of the time, so it’s very useful. But my writing is kept mostly on my laptop, which is ancient. It doesn’t need a lot to run (although when I forget to close word docs before shutting down my laptop they all pop up the next time I open word and make my laptop almost DIE with how much it’s having to load in lmaoo).

1 Like

Honestly I’m broke as hell right now and my old laptop’s motherboard decided to die on me so now I just use a Chromebook that boots Linux in chroot. All in all, only £100 and does everything I need it to study and lab report wise.

In hindsight, though, I wouldn’t have gotten an ARM-based processor if I knew how much it was going to limit me.

Desktop computers can be cheap if you know how to optimise.

3 Likes

Sorry for misunderstanding you all!

No, but having a gaming PC is nice because the specs are beefy enough for whatever other work you want to do. I’m not a fan of gaming laptops. They break easily and they’re difficult to work on.

Here are my specs. You can get a lot of these for very cheap on Craigslist and build your own PC like I did.

Summary

2010 Dell Xeon
Precision 3500

Processor: Intel (R) Xeon(R) CPU x5690 @ 3.47GHz
24.0 GB RAM DDR4 Kingston
64 bit operating system
OS Drive: 250GB Samsung SSD
DCS Drive: 1TB SSD SanDisk
NVIDIVA GeForce RTX 2080 super
Windows 10

Monitor: Asus 28" similar to this one which is on sale…it’s a little smaller but it’s nice

Keyboard: Razor Ornata (this one)

My mouse is just a cheap RGB one I got from Amazon and so were my speakers.

The project cost me about $500. This is my quarantine baby…well this one and my book.

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Is it just going to be mainly writing and productivity-based tasks? If so, you don’t need a high-end desktop. I would honestly get a laptop if you’re not actually gaming or being a power user and downloading a lot of apps.

If you really want a desktop experience, you can get a monitor and keyboard and hook that up to the laptop. Good screens don’t cost a lot at all. Or you could do what @Cai did and get a Chromebook. It can do the basics for you and they’re not expensive at all.

1 Like

Yup. That’s pretty much it.

Didn't think hard enough...

There’s also the option which I should utilize more of is to turn off the wifi on the electronics that I got now. Well, far as the desktop and laptop.

1 Like