How do you feel physically after a good cry and emotional breakdown? (POLLS)

Choose wisely:

• 1.Exhausted.
  • 2.Better, even if a little.
  • 3.Fine.
  • 4.sleepy Zzzzz.
  • 5.Other (explain in the comment section).

0 voters

Care to explain?

1 Like

Ok, so, I always feel better emotionally after a cry, but I hate crying specifically because it makes me feel awful physically. It gives me a headache, it makes me tired both in the sense of being sleepy and in the sense of being exhausted, it makes my sinuses clog up so it’s harder to breathe, it makes my eyes sore and itchy and oddly dry afterwards, despite how wet they were when tears were coming out, and of course, there’s that terrible sore lump in my throat. I hate it. Crying sucks.

3 Likes

Yeah…that makes sense. I was feeling exhausted and sleepy after my cry earlier.

Yet there was a sense of relief regardless of the obvious physical toll.

So, yeah crying can suck, but it is just nice to get it over with…I suppose.

1 Like

Scientific studies show that it is healthy to cry when you need to and helps both with physical and mental health. So as much as I hate it, I should do it more often. And you’re right, it is cathartic and I do feel better emotionally afterwards.

3 Likes

Yup.
I cry when I am really down and completely overwhelmed with life or other things.

Another thing is that I may be a bleeding heart of a person and some type of sympathetic cryer (possible oops).

2 Likes

I generally don’t cry often, but when life is shitty and I get overwhelmed, things can trigger it. Lately I’ve been crying a lot more often, but that’s because my dog died over the holidays and I’ve also been off my anxiety and depression meds because I recently moved and don’t qualify for health insurance in this state. Life has been rough lately. :sweat_smile:

Nah, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, no oops necessary. I also tend to tear up when I see other people cry, especially people I am close to.

2 Likes

I meant oops because I might have spelled the word “cryer” wrong…if it is a real word.

:sweat_smile:

Same here.
My mental health is getting worse the longer I am without a therapist and medication. I have crappy insurance and can’t always get the best or close to the best. No job or type of income to help me out or my mom, yeah things are pretty terrible in some aspects.

So, I totally get/see where you are coming from.

Usually once I’ve finally gotten myself back together, I’ll be motivated to come up with solutions to try and fix the stress that made me breakdown in the first place, if it is fixable, but then in the morning I’ll feel exhausted, sore, and emotionally done. A couple days later is when I finally start to feel better and have the energy to implement the solutions I thought up of.

2 Likes

So, you have a crying session, wait a bit after you cried, then take the time to tackling the situation that caused you to breakdown crying in the first place???

1 Like

After a good emotional breakdown with continuous sobbing, I both feel sleepy and exhausted. Mentally and physically exhausted, like I can’t take anything else and need to just… die. Disappear.

A lot of people often say that if you talk to someone about what you’re feeling or cry, it makes you feel better. To me, it makes me feel worse. Crying, specifically in front of someone, is a sign of weakness to me (for me, I don’t think it with others doing it) so I try to limit it when I’m alone or bottle it up. And talking to someone feels useless to me because it’s not like things will change, it’s not like my mind will automatically forget it all and move on. All it does, in my eyes, is burden someone else with this information, with this emotion of mine. There’s nothing you can do to make it better unless you can magically take away my insecurities, my thoughts, my depression. In a fairy-tale, that might happen. But this is real life where fairy-tales aren’t real. Unfortunately.

So, I’m always feeling exhausted, and sometimes, a good nap helps drown out the overwhelming thoughts for a little while.

2 Likes

I will say the tired cliche “depression sucks”, but everyone who has dealt with depression knows that already.

I don’t mean to drag things down, but being human is bitterly exhausting to me.

I can’t do it. I might feel a bit well, but the lingering depression and negativity is still there.

So, that feeling you have about crying is understandable to me.

1 Like

You know that feeling after you do a big poop in the toilet and you relieve yourself? Yeah, I feel like that.

2 Likes

Yeah…LOL!
I get it!

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I try to :slight_smile: usually I’ll try to wash my face or take a comfort shower to try and get myself back into it. Make some food. Do some kind of easy, mindless task while I wait for my brain to stop screaming at me (this is usually cleaning or watching youtube). And then once it quiets and I can focus again, I’ll try to pinpoint and analyze what built up and if it’s something I can change.

Usually this requires me to talk to people about what’s stressing me out and ask for advice, and I’m so thankful I have a friend who I can discord and comfortably talk about these things with. Like I’m aware that anxiety attacks often are your body telling you that something in your life desperately needs to change, so if it’s something I’m capable of changing, I’m going to try my best to find out what I can do to move forward.

It just really sucks that not everything can be changed with some analysis, an ear, and some advice, though. There’s a lot that is out of your control and that’s when it’s so absolutely difficult to approach the situation, and that’s usually when I just feel absolutely drained and struggle with feeling trapped or depressed. I’ve been trying to change my mindset about those out-of-your-control things but it’s so difficult and I’m not having much success there haha.

2 Likes

I could never relate to people who say that it feels good to cry it out. I don’t know what they’re feeling because I certainly don’t enjoy it.

I don’t enjoy it during because it’s frustrating. It’s a sign that I can’t control my emotions. Even more frustrating if I cry in anger. That makes me even angrier.

And after, my eyes sting, my head hurts, and emotionally, I feel like someone kicked me when I was down. Nothing cathartic about it.

You know what’s cathartic? If I feel like I’m going to cry but then I manage to swing my mood in the other direction and I find a reason to be happy. It’s rare though. Once it gets going, it’s hard to stop it.

3 Likes