How do you write in a POV of a blind man who is using magic to "see" the world around him?

Jesus that’s creepy.

3 Likes

well you can’t use sight as a sense so you gotta use all the other senses to describe things to your readers. Touch and propioception are the easiest to replace sight with imo, like, instead of “the walls were yellowed” it would be “the walls felt layered with grime”

there’s also a lot of orienting based on sound. So instead of seeing a window to the left and a door to the right, you hear birds chirping outside and footsteps in the hall muffled by a closed door.

If you’re a reader I recommend Blind by Rachel DeWoskin for… i hope obvious reasons.

If you’re a watcher I believe someone already recommended Molly Burke. You can also search ‘blind’ or ‘visually impaired’ or similar tags on tiktok and go on a scrolling dive. Tiktok obviously isn’t the place for reliable accurate information but I find it helpful to see how real people with this disability interact with the world.

And of course depending on why your character is blind he may ‘see’ different things, like the shapes of people. Being legally blind doesn’t mean having absolute zero black out vision! So do ya research.

2 Likes

When he “sees” a person, it is a shadowy figure that he can’t make out. However, when it is the scenery, it is a black and white blur that he can still sorta make out.

He can “see” the world just only in blurry black and white due to his magical powers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.