How do you write in a POV of a blind man who is using magic to "see" the world around him?

Seriously, how?

I’m going to search online for answers on my end. If you have any tips or advice then please let me know.

Lend me your thoughts.

3 Likes

You read DareDevil comics until you can’t take it anymore.

3 Likes

Maybe he can’t see what people look like, but he can feel where stuff is located, like echolocation.

2 Likes

Yeah, he can.

People are like very blurred images to him even with the assistance of magic vision, but everything else is a bit clearer.

1 Like

Does he get a romantic arc?

1 Like

He makes friends with some amazing people. Far as falling in love, nope. I don’t add romance in my fiction.

1 Like

Almost might be worth researching bats because they use echolocation.

2 Likes

So, learn a thing or two from researching bats, huh?

2 Likes

There’s already a blind boy who uses it, too. He clicks so he can tell when something is in his way.

2 Likes

Dolphins use it, too. It’s more common than you might think.

1 Like

Use Toph from ATLA as an example. The creators did a wonderful job of giving her an extrasensory way of “seeing” while still keeping her completely blind. It’s similar to echolocation but more that she can sense the vibrations of her surroundings to pick up on their shape, without using sound. Using magic to enhance the other senses, especially physical sensation, could have the same effect. Using this route, your character wouldn’t be able to get color or be able to see what is written on a sheet of paper, but they would be able to sense the paper is there without touching it directly.

4 Likes

Holy shit! I have totally forgotten about Toph!
How could I have forgotten about such an awesome character?

Damn, you make me want to watch the series all over again. LOL!

2 Likes

It’s my favorite cartoon series lol.

2 Likes

It is still a very good series. LOL!

1 Like

To write this story in first person might be even more of a challenge than writing it in simple third person…

1 Like

Not sure if this could help, but I watched an anime with a blind swordsman

He sees other living beings like this:

Its more like a “soul sight” thing, since what he sees are their souls

2 Likes

Which anime was that? Do you remember the name or not?

1 Like

Yep! It’s Dororo (the 2019 version specifically, there’s another from like the 60s)

2 Likes

Ah, alrighty then.
I think I’ve heard of that anime.

2 Likes

Interesting. It reminded me of a character I had who was a blind Sorcerer using his magick to see. He could see clearly, anyway, that was the idea then. I decided that him being some obstacle in the story wasn’t working. Also having an evil blind Sorcerer was kind of like…idk it didn’t seem like good representation. So, I took him out of the story.

Several people have mentioned echolocation. You might watch this video about a blind girl, Molly Burke and how she sees the world although being completely blind. And they talk about human echolocation like making clicking sounds. Video is sixteen and a half minutes. Might give you some inspiration?

1 Like