How long have you been working on your project?

This can mean when the idea was first conceived or when you started outlining or when you started writing… or all three. :blush:

For me, the idea was first conceived in 2015 (seven years ago). I tried writing it then… didn’t work out so I shelved it. Finally pulled it back off the shelf around 2018-2019 to start the outline. I had already outlined a lot of it in my head but the official (written) outline took a month (and it wasn’t finished yet) and then came NaNoWriMo in 2019. I stopped outlining and went to writing.

Three years later, I’m now over 60,000 words in… and still not finished. :sweat_smile:

How about you?

7 Likes

Since 2019, and there is no end yet in sight. Maybe writing an epic love story was a bad idea…

1 Like

Most the ideas I’m currently waiting to finish are about a year and a half old. The Cinderella Smut is 2 weeks older than NaNo. Everything else goes from 2 to 15ish years?

But nothing is written on has dragged on for actual writing time of a full year. Most are merely months.

2 Likes

august 31 2020

2 Likes

I wanna say late 2019. I can’t really remember because I am all over the place with this Alterra story.

3 Likes

RISE: The Red Sun Rapture Saga was a story that my angst-filled, anime-fueled teenage self had constantly day-dreamed about throughout middle and high school, like waaaaaay back since 2006 at the earliest. (I was a bit of a mal-adaptive daydreamer back then. Still am, I guess haha.) I finally decided to put it to paper and get it out of my head in November 2019. 170k words and three months later, I finished writing my very first book on February 14, 2020.

The very first “draft” of Marvela Mystic was done in crayons on construction paper when I was a wee little kid in elementary school. The characters and story were both inspired by my favorite stuffed animals lol. :3 When covid hit decades later and I ended up being furloughed from work for six whole months, I thought, “Well, I’ve got all this free time now that I’m out of a job and Rise is over with, might as well write something else.” And then a month later, I finished the first draft of Marvela Mystic. I’m 29 now, for what it’s worth.

Both Rise and Marvela are very different stories now than how they originally began in my head lol.

And then the writing bug bit me and now I can’t go back. :c

I had the titles “The Dark Between Dreams,” and “Hollow is the Heart” stuck in my head since the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 but no stories to go with them. And I had a desire to write about people in the afterlife and something with swords (because swords are cool) but no real ideas of how to tackle those plot bunnies. Then ONC 2021 rolled along and the first draft of The Dark Between Dreams just kinda exploded into existence that Spring/Summer. Its sequel, Hollow is the Heart followed very quickly after.

Weird that my “youngest” series is the one taking up all the real estate in my head right now hahaha.

1 Like

The idea for my current main project first came about way back in 2014-2015

Started writing it on May 2020, by then it became an original story rather than a fanfic

1 Like

Finished my previous book in October, started something else for NaNo, gave up on that about halfway through November, so started this in December? Something like that. (♯^.^ღ)

1 Like

I have several projects.

Lunar Heart, Shadow Bound: The idea was created in 2012, but I didn’t expand or touch it until NaNoWriMo 2016. I got it professionally edited 2021, and now rewriting some of it.

Atlia Princess story: It’s a merging of several ideas. The oldest idea in there is from around 2013 or so. The newest idea in there is from 2019. I finished one POV. Taking a break :sweat_smile:

Their Posthumous Lives duology: The magic realism stories, well, the idea was created in 2016 or so, with the desire to write a sequel of sorts to my satire story, The Facade of Quad in Nimrod. But the full idea didn’t come out until 2017, and then I wouldn’t start writing it until 2019. I’ve since finished book 1, uploaded to Wattpad, and now editing book 2. Book 2, I finished drafting through NaNoWriMo 2020.

Some epic Oz-inspired thing: The idea came to me in 2020 and I’ve finished the draft, but still kind of on and off working out the kinks.

1 Like

Simple answer for my current WIP… Mid 2013, junior year in high school.

I took a break for about four years, and only really started working on and off the project in 2018.

1 Like

I came up with the idea for my wip in the last week of October 2021 and worked on it for NaNo, but most of what I wrote then had to be rewritten for lack of conflict, most of which happened over the past two weeks, along with writing the rest of the first half.

Now I have a deadline of a week from yesterday to finish it and I’m not sure I can get it done but I’m gonna try anyways.

1 Like

Okayyy here we go

Rise: The series began at the end of 2017, but I didn’t start working on Rise specifically until early 2019

Tell: 6 years

Shelter: Like 7ish months?

Serpent in the Shadows: Original version started way back in like 2015 but it underwent a huge revamp about 6 months ago and is practically a completely different story now

Sheep Among Wolves: Series began in 2018? Started working on Sheep Among Wolves specifically about a year ago

Untitled story with Elm: Like 3 months

Devilgames: Around 8 years

Untitled story with Tatum: Like 6ish months

Untitled story with Fallon: 4 or 5 months?

Untitled story with Tessa: Also 6ish months?

Asunder: Just over 2 years

Of Blood and Ashes: I think 8 years

Untitled story with Hazel: About a year and a half

Untitled story with Melanie: A week lol

Untitled story with Cyra: A month or so?

Untitled story with Anneliese: A year

Those are my main active projects at the moment at least lol. I have plenty more I’m not actively working on, including 2 series that have been around for 11 and 10 years respectively, if I remember correctly

My now discontinued / on the shelf project was ideated first in 2019, and I wrote a draft of it for 12 or so chapters, then shelved it, restarted in March of 2020, and finished that draft in three months. Then I grew up in my writing a lot, so I decided to rewrite, but the rewrite is a hot mess of plot, so it’s currently shelved.
The other idea of mine, the one in my current wip came around Feb last year. I wrote around 12 chapters, restarted twise, and I’m currently on the 10th chapter this time. I’ve decided not to go back and edit, no matter how strong the temptation, because I’ve been struggling with finishing.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.