How many chapters can you get through in a single day?

Whether reading or writing, how many chapters can you get through in a single day?

My Turn:

Writing: one chapter. Then there’s times when I can do one chapter and a half.

Reading: three to five to ten chapters depending on my reading mood.

What about you?

5 Likes

@Akje

@lowarlo

@NotARussianBot

@TheTigerWriter

@JojoDahlia

@J.L.O

@Churro

@copyedit

@stella_vigo

Depends on density-I used to read whole books in one day as a child!

2 Likes

What about writing?

1 Like

Usually one long one I have split into smaller pieces

1 Like

Reading? It used to be approx 10 chapters but now I’m lucky if I get through one because of my head.

Writing? Depends on the day. Sometimes half a chapter. Sometimes anywhere up to 5

2 Likes

It’s more useful for me to count pages, not chapters lol. I don’t write linearly so I’m never done with a chapter in a day. I write 1-3 pages a day :skull: .

The same with reading. I read 60-100 pages, which could be a single chapter, 3 chapters, or 12 chapters depending on the book lol.

3 Likes

Writing = 1 or 2

I usually try to read a chapter a day :smiley:

2 Likes

Reading… Average three to four (Life shit gets in the way).

Writing… Wrote three quite large chapters in about five hours once (I was on a roll that evening), but usually one, size and content depending.

SD

It depends.

I could read a whole book in one sitting when I was younger, so chapters scmapters for the reading record side. Now? I give up far quicker.

Writing? Also variable. I think about 6K is what I write comfortably during the day unless I’m stalling.

For writing, it depends on wordcount, chapter length, and my motivation that day.

But, at my creative peak, I was writing like 10k words a day for roughly 3ish months (my greatest achievement LMAO). I think I could probably achieve this peak again if I really wanted to, but I set boundaries for myself now because (physically) doing that messed me up, even if it was extremely fulfilling and delightful.

Nowadays I tend to write around 5k words a day on average.

My chapters (on average) are around 3k.

So, during my peak: three chapters a day.

Average: one and a half chapters a day.

For reading, I’m a speedy reader. Daily, I tend to consume roughly 3-5 chapters a day (typically at night before bed). But if the tale is especially gripping I can finish an entire book in a day or two.

Heeeyyy :grin: I feel like I haven’t appeared in your threads in a while.

Writing: If it’s a first draft situation, I could write a chapter which is about 2500-3000 words. I could. Sometimes I do more. Like maybe a chapter and a third of a chapter or something like that. Good days, like, really good days, I could write two chapters.

Reading: Depends on the book. I once nearly finished a middle grade book in a day. A heavy book like Perdido Street Station, probably can’t take more than a couple chapters of the thing (dense worldbuilding), but it depends on what part because the latter half went pretty quickly. If I really push myself, I might be able to finish a book in a day, but that’s really pushing it and considering I have no obligations.

Yes, same!

1 Like

oh wow! That sounds intense :open_mouth: Every single day?

Yes lmao. I was unemployed at the time and coming off a really bad mental health spiral that motivated me a LOT, so I think I was in a specific headspace where I was able to achieve a level of creative/emotional intensity that allowed that. I also type roughly 90 wpm on average, which I’m sure helped.

While it was extremely cathartic, it also genuinely destroyed parts of my physical health. Like, for example, I have hyper extendable thumbs–and for some reason when I type I overextend one thumb back A LOT. Holding that tension in my thumb did some type of nerve damage, and I now have to sleep with/write with a thumb brace to prevent it from bending back. Atop that, my shoulder got really messed up because I had to extend myself a certain way, and it got so stiff/swollen that I had to physically stop myself from writing.

Overall, was an experience I wouldn’t trade for the world, but it was fs a “perfect storm” type of creative pressure cooker lol.

2 Likes

reading: can be countless

writing: not sure, never much probably tried writing more than one

Reading: Depends. If I get hooked, usually I’ll keep on reading until my eyes hurt or I fall asleep.

If I’m not that hooked but still a good read, once a day would be fine.

Writing: I once finished 6 chapters a day. Ahh, my wattpad days were something. Now, I barely finish one in a week hahaha.

1 Like

Depends on what I am reading. Fan-fiction? 5-6 chapters/70-80k words MINIMUM within a single day. Fiction? 3-4 chapters/40k-60k words. For non-fiction, my attention wanders around and I end up reading 1-2 chapters/10k-30k words. Unfortunately, I’m too busy with school/work to read as often as I would like.

Writing - it depends. I usually don’t go through chapters I go through words. So in a day I can get around 2200 words out if I’m really into it and sometimes I get around 1400 words out. It also depends on what the chapter needs is and what the chapter is about and all of that stuff because I’m writing a first draft and it’s usually very hard to determine or do everything correctly the first time.

for reading - I don’t read anymore, but I used to be able to get through a 300 page book in around three days. So I guess a third of the book day? These days I mainly watch shows because it works better with my brain but I can get through a single season of a show in around a day

2 Likes

Do you have a plan for the stories you write? Like what do you want to do with your writing for the future?

2 Likes

IDK, I have to publish someday. Although right now I’m just writing for fun. I don’t really care where it ends up I just wanna be entertained. I want to keep my love of writing alive and I will do what it takes to do that. I also like reading.and it’s just a part of who I am and so I keep doing it and it helps me process the things and coping. that’s the main purpose of writing for me and so I don’t really need to do anything else with it.

like reading and it’s just a part of who I am and so I keep doing it and it helps me process the things and coping that’s the main purpose of writing for me and so I don’t really need to do anything else with it.

I would really like it published though but that’s a future mе

2 Likes