How many people are avid fiction readers, really?

I might either do Overdrive or Hoopla by getting a library card one day.

So, I can get audiobooks better.

2 Likes

the struggle :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I donā€™t really have a comment on the ā€œare there more writers than readersā€ thing but as an avid reader I can recommend some sci-fi that Iā€™ve been loving lately

1. Nyxia by Scot Reintgen was on the NYT bestseller list but I recommend this because Iā€™ve had the pleasure of meeting Scott and heā€™s seriously the nicest person you will ever talk to and the most encouraging. He does a lot for new writers and his series is genuinely good
  2. The Three Body Problem
  3. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
  4. Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
  5. Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Iā€™ve also been reading a lot of Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury which Iā€™ve always enjoyed. And although older/classics, Blue Mars, Hyperion, Foundations, Childhoodā€™s End, and Neuromancer were all stories that I read this year and loved.

Donā€™t be worried if there are more writers than readers. Itā€™s okay to be Sunday writers if the industry ends up being too competitive for us and thereā€™s nothing wrong with self publishingā€¦thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to be better at accepting. For me right now I donā€™t care if no one ever reads my story again I just want to finish it and undo all the things about it that people told me to do that made me miserable and made me hate my own work.

And more people are reading than we think. My own students are constantly talking about Harry Potter and how now theyā€™re reading Warriors and Eragon and Brandon Sanderson novels. I donā€™t like J K Rowling but if her writing is getting kids into reading then I am not going to stand in the way of that.

2 Likes

āœ§ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ: * āœ§ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ:* If today, all you did was hold yourself together, Iā€™m proud of you.āœ§ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ: *āœ§ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ: *

3 Likes

I just have a suspicion that keeping up with bookweb trends is going to cause you to ignore a universe of great literature.

Maybe itā€™s because I have followed booktube EXTREMELY CASUALLY (my favorite booktuber is Generally Pooky) but never have I ever heard the name ā€œRay Bradburyā€ ever come out of a booktuberā€™s lips. Never. In my life.

1 Like

My favorite booktuber is Jack Edwards, who seems to like Shakespeare, Sally Rooney and The Great Gatsby. Of course, he seemed to like Heartstopper too, but never mind that. I love his video about how reading Wattpad books scarred him for life. ćƒ½(ļ¾ŸŠ”ļ¾Ÿ)ļ¾‰

2 Likes

If he likes Shakespeare, heā€™ll love the Norse Sagas!

Of course, this line of thinking is how I scarred @sunlets for life with Berserk. Be specific when you say you like dark fantasy, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying.

2 Likes

I engage with bookstagram and take everything with a grain of salt because I wasted my money on Shadow and Bone trilogy thanks to the hype. But I read it all because I review books on my IG account and I wanted to warn people against the trilogy.

As for being an avid reader, I did just come here after reading and feeling like ranting even though Iā€™m not done reading yet :upside_down_face:

This book is a different kind of unacceptable compared to S&B. The MC is tolerable personality wise unlike Alina in S&B. Everything else is not. The entireā€¦

deep breath

I shouldnā€™t start ranting about a book too much before I finish reading it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching Jack Edwards here and there and today ā€œaw heck with it!ā€ I subscribed :stuck_out_tongue: His tastes are not my tastes at all, but heā€™s funny and I can learn about contemporary books, so thatā€™s nice :wink: Also, I like how he roasts books XD Is there a fantasy booktuber that is similar to him?

2 Likes

There seem to be a lot of fantasy booktubers, but Iā€™ve never watched any so I really donā€™t know if any of them are as likable as JE. But you could check them out and see what you find. (*ļ¼¾-ā€˜) 乃

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fantasy+booktube

2 Likes

I thought maybe you might have some recommendations, but thanks for looking it up :wink: I immediately recognize one there. Iā€™ve come across bookswithemilyfoxā€¦but sheā€™s not really for me. I thought ā€œmaybeā€ because her name has a fox in it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You should try Libby. All you need is a library card which you can apply for online. Some places canā€™t access the app but if you can itā€™s completely worth it.

1 Like

Thereā€™s definitely more readers than writers. But Iā€™d say that most do go based off of whatā€™s popular. Until last year I didnā€™t touch anything that you count as the bookweb. So Iā€™d say more read whatā€™s popular than are in that community.

3 Likes

I see.

DARK FANTASY IS A BIG DAMN GENRE!

2 Likes

Only bigger after learning about Dark Fantasy Anime!

2 Likes

:pensive:

2 Likes

At least Berserk has inspired good music.

2 Likes

And violence, i bet.

2 Likes

Yeah, but thatā€™s not an argument for who has read him. I mean, I quite literally have never brought his name up here for any recommendations, and I loved the oddity of his short storiesā€“and if I really really think about the creepy vibe I sometimes put in my shorts, heā€™s an influence. Anything under 5K Iā€™ve written (and weā€™ll above 500) shows that Iā€™ve read authors like him, Poe, King, ect. Demented drama suits me.

Iā€™ve just never had a reason to bring him up and I seriously need a reread to familiarize myself with the works again.

2 Likes