How to do the First Draft? (and other questions)

Hello people, Angel here.

Currently finished the outline of my novelette and am wondering if you could kindly help me with the actually drafting part. For context, I’m habitually more a poet and haven’t even finished anything beyond a story of 2k words. This novelette (Enigma) that i’ve outlined is dual POV, planned to be at around 20k words. idk if it will be that long, but that’s the plan.

point is, i’ve never written prose that hefty before. so do you guys have any tips on how to write the actual chapters if the book without getting stuck? how to pace yourself? how to let go of perfectionism? how to make a skeleton of the chapter? any ideas?

also have the issue that i’m quite the pantser when it comes to first drafts, but can’t live without an outline. how can I reconcile this fact?

3 Likes

It depends, but most of the time I am jumping right into the story without much planning.

I tend to go with the flow.

2 Likes

so do you mean you don’t outline? or that you don’t do a skeleton of the chapter beforehand?

1 Like

Nah, I don’t. When I do, I just don’t follow it like I am meant too.
So, I just go with the flow and work my way through there.

1 Like

got it.

1 Like

Following a routine is really hard for me, mentally.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

honestly, same.

all those writers who say to follow a strict schedule and discipline yourself to write better? their advice has long gone out the window. I tend to write when I feel like it and what I feel like lol.

it’s interesting, becuse then the output of the work tends to be higher quality.

2 Likes

Exactly! LOL!

1 Like

yup.

1 Like

I wish I could outline properly because when I do a really detailed outline, the actual writing goes so much easier. But I’m more of a plantser, so I do a skeletal outline with just a few bullet points listing what has to happen in that chapter to move the story forward. Have you searched YouTube videos yet? I think Shaelin Bishop and Reedsy have done videos on how to draft/outline/begin a novel. /(=^ェ^=)\

2 Likes

Your first draft is essentially a word dump. Weite down what you want to say then worry about getting it in the right order for your second draft. That way you have most of the words to look back at. First drafts arent meant to be good. Theyre meant to be word vomit.

It does help if you have a general idea of what direction you want the plot to go in.

As for chapters, thats mostly just instinct. Wherever you think is the right place for a chapter to end, even if it’s after 2 sentences, then end it there. You can always go back and change it later

4 Likes

It’s weird. My first draft is crappy and grammatically not the greatest, but in the moment, I am very pleased with that.

And yet when I see an underlined flaw, I can’t leave it alone to change back! It will draw me crazy as a mad hatter if I don’t.

If it’s the character’s name, location’s name, or something else pertaining to my story’s world or plot, then I don’t mind it underlined though.

You are right about it being word vomit, though! LOL!

3 Likes

thanks!

yeah, i’ve searched YouTube. that’s why i’m here :joy: I couldn’t find anything.

though I think it was mostly motivation. I caught myself thinking “well i’m not going to enjoy this so why try?” and from that point on it was easy lol.

I do, I have a fairly detailed outline.

2 Likes

@Qualeshia12 @alenatenjo @Akje

I fixed everything myself already :joy: but thank you for the input, your help is very much appreaciated.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.