I did it. I finally did it. šŸ˜¬

Not to be a downer but if youā€™re uncomfortable with homeless people than a library might not be a great fit for youā€¦ as much as we like to cling to the idea of libraries as quiet timeless bubbles, current libraries fulfill the role of community hubs and are only progressing more towards that with things like outreach programs and makerspaces. Even if your city has a very small homeless population there will be homeless people in the library, and it is the libraryā€™s responsibility (ergo the staffā€™s responsibility) to provide for them in the same way they provide for every other patron.

I hope the best for you and that your interview goes well! I just wanted to touch on this because if itā€™s an area you know youā€™re going to struggle with then you might want to hang on to your fd job. And if you have any questions feel free to ask! Iā€™m in school to be a library tech and at least 3 of my classmates are currently pages (the position you applied for) at the public library so I can field questions to them, too.

2 Likes

Awh! Iā€™m sorry! I hope all goes well the next time you submit!

Thank you, and will do! :blush:

I do know that the homeless will come in every now and again because it is the best and easiest way to get help with jobs or whatnot (using the computers, etc.)

Though, to be honest, Iā€™m not comfortable around most people anyway. :sweat_smile: But I would prefer the homeless rather than drunks. Iā€™ve had to deal with a lot of drunk people, some were belligerent while others were creeps or nuances.

The town I live in is rather small and we donā€™t have an actual village of tents like in other places. We do have people in very bad circumstances, though. Quite a lot. But theyā€™re not homeless. My sister has dealt with them because she works at a church and people go there to ask for help. They have homes, but they live in very poverty-stricken circumstances like how they donā€™t have beds at all. My sisterā€™s come across plenty of families here in town where they and their kids sleep on the floor or on a single mattress. Her church donates beds and bed frames to these families. So, I am sure that the church gets people to help them with other things.

So, I do know itā€™s not all about checking peopleā€™s books out or shelving books. Iā€™ve done a little bit of research on how libraries work as they are different than typical bookstores.

But honestly, helping someone who is down and out is rather better than dealing with crazy people at a hotel. Hotels are known to lure the drug addicts, stalkers, creepers, violent drunks, and more. And while the hotel I work at isnā€™t that bad compared to others Iā€™ve been to (based around ones Iā€™ve lived in in the past), it still makes me uncomfortable. I work alone at night, and at a library, Iā€™d be working with others in the morning. Even if someone comes off as crazy, I wouldnā€™t have to deal with it all by myself like I have to now which takes some weight off my shoulders. Honestly, there are times when Iā€™m afraid to go into work because some of our guests are questionable as Iā€™ve almost been sexually assaulted before.

Thank you and will do! :blush:

2 Likes

I had my interview today!!

I think it went pretty wellā€¦? :sweat_smile: As Iā€™ve stated before since itā€™s obvious, I was incredibly nervous but I got through it and we had a great conversation! I had an interview with three peopleā€”all very nice and open about the workspace and common interests.

There were some questions I may have gotten wrong, but like I said, it turned out to be a wonderful conversation which makes me hopeful. :relieved: Iā€™m not expecting much because I know not to expect it even after a good interview, but I do hope there is good news that comes of it. I wonā€™t hear back for another week or two, unfortunately.

But I did it! I got it over with! I became more at ease as we started talking more, so it was really nice and I feel accomplished and proud because of that. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Awesome. I hope you get it. But even if you donā€™t, itā€™s still an important first step that youā€™ve taken.

3 Likes

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope so, too, though yes, I donā€™t expect anything to come with simply having an interview lol. But definitelyā€”an important first step. Still an achievement, and thatā€™s the positive side to this experience. :relieved:

Butā€¦ if I did get it, thatā€™s even a bigger achievement for me. :sweat_smile: It would technically be the very first job Iā€™ve ever gottenā€¦ on my own. All the jobs Iā€™ve had before were ones my mom was in charge of. Never had to go through the dreaded process because she would just put me to work anywhere. And when they left here, I stuck around because no one fired meā€¦ then I was promoted. :joy: I have gone through the interview process before, though. Twice, actually. This was my third. The first one was for a movie theater which he did call to hire me, but we moved away. So I never actually worked there. And the second was for Target, and they called me for a second interview but my parents told me not to go through with it because at the time, we were living 15+ minutes away, I didnā€™t drive, and not long after we moved even further away. So, if I was hiredā€¦ Iā€™d feel so much more accomplished. I already, honestly, do by having the guts to submit not only a resume and application but a cover letter and getting an interview. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think I got the job.

My interview was on April 29th. They told me I should hear back from them within a week or two since the hiring manager was away at New York. I sent a thank you and follow up email on May 5th. Got a response saying that they were back in town and I should hear back within the following days. Itā€™s now a full week later and still no response. I even sent a second follow up email yesterday (though they wouldnā€™t have gotten it until today) and no response from that.

I also looked back at the advertisement on their website and they took it down, meaning they already filled the spot.

Soā€¦ Iā€™m taking this news as I didnā€™t get the job.

Oh well. :pensive:

3 Likes

That sucks! Iā€™m sorry to hear it!

Where else will you try?

2 Likes

Thanks.

And nowhere, really. Thereā€™s nothing in this dumb little town. Itā€™s either trade stuff, truck driving, or manager-type positions that Iā€™m all unqualified for. Or working at the grocery store or gas station, and I donā€™t really want to do that. Or work at another hotelā€¦ and Iā€™m already working at a hotel so thatā€™s out of the question since I wanted to get out of the hotel industry.

:confused:

4 Likes

Wow, that is really unfortunate. :slightly_frowning_face:

hugs You hang in there and stay strong. That is really terrible that there arenā€™t many job options for you in your town.

I am going to kick myself in the rear for saying this cliche, but it can be helpful.
When one day closes, another one shall open.

Stay strong and I hope what I am saying makes sense.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.