I did it. I finally did it. šŸ˜¬

I finally applied to the local library.

For the last two years, Iā€™ve been wanting to work at the libraryā€¦ or a bookstore, but I donā€™t live near a bookstoreā€¦ but they never seem to have a position open. Plus, the last time I tried to apply (about two years ago), I did it in person by giving them my resumeā€¦ and the lady at the desk quickly looked me up and down, went in the back to talk to someone, then came back and was like, ā€œWeā€™re not hiring.ā€ :roll_eyes: Really? Because the advertisement is still on the websiteā€¦ :thinking:

But otherwise, I hadnā€™t gotten the motivation or the confidence to send in anything. I was going to wait until after Halloween last year, because I went on a vacation, but then my sisterā€™s cat died and then my other sisterā€™s dog died within the same month and I got depressed over that and just decided to keep to where I am because itā€™s a steady job.

But now Iā€™ve been getting to the point where Iā€™m done. I hate my sleeping schedule. I hate how I barely have a full weekend because of my work schedule (night shift, so I barely get much of a weekend). Iā€™m sick of not being able to reach any of my managers (which I know is common, but I work alone and if something goes wrong, I have to contact them) when I need guidance. Thereā€™s barely any communicationā€”we communicate through a book but it doesnā€™t always do the job and according to some of the other staff, if they have questions or concerns, everyone is out the door instantly.

And tonight was my final straw because I made a comment in the book about how a guest gave a bad review of one of the staff members because she didnā€™t help him and I mentioned who it was or mightā€™ve been and to pass on that if those problems rise, she has the ability to fix them. Sheā€™s our new girl and is also the baby of the group (sheā€™s seventeen, Iā€™m the next youngest at twenty-five). But then one of my managers said to ā€œquit the negativityā€ in the book and Iā€™m like, ā€œWhat negativity?ā€ It wasnā€™t meant to be an opinion. :roll_eyes: The guy literally told me, ā€œthe girl babysitting the front desk told me there was nothing for her to doā€ (in regards to his broken TV and a broken light). There actually wasā€”get maintenance or move him. Problem solved. Canā€™t wait to have this conversation with herā€¦

Then they took away the front desk chair because ā€œno one is cleaning and stocking the market.ā€

Umā€¦ I do clean. I may not do all the cleaning but thatā€™s also because itā€™s not part of my job to clean up the gym or laundry room or fold laundry. Thatā€™s why thereā€™s different departments: breakfast person does the main lobby area and there should be laundry attendants to fold laundry. Not front desk.

And for the market, I do stock it if we have stuff to stock it with. But the kitchen has been a disaster as theyā€™ve been redoing some of it and itā€™s hard to get to specific things in the pantry. I could barely get a can of oatmeal because of the crap in there by the maintenance guys. :roll_eyes:

And like, what Iā€™m I supposed to do when all my tasks are finished? It takes me roughly 1-2 hours to get it all done. Am I supposed to stand all night? They want us to sit in the back officeā€¦ but how when thereā€™s no monitor to see the front desk? And theyā€™re saying it looks bad to have a chair at the front desk?! I am so sick of corporate America where people think sitting is lazy. Like office jobs have chairsā€¦ how are they not lazy?! It looks bad when thereā€™s no one up front or is sitting in the lobby. UGH.

So all of this caused me to finally send in my application, resume, and cover letter to the library. Maybe I can get out of the hotel industry. I donā€™t know. It would be nice to be surrounded by books and people who enjoy reading. I know that libraries arenā€™t all about books and reading material, but still. :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

Of course it would be. You could be the librarian who goes around giving the best recs and you can shhhh all you want :joy:
I hope you get it and have lots of fun!!

3 Likes

I hope this goes well for you!! It soundā€™s like your current job is only creating negative stress and you deserve to get away from thatā€¦ also yes, being around books all the time is really fun.

I actually currently volunteer in a library and itā€™s actually been the thing has gotten me back into my love for reading. The temptation of being around books means that I often canā€™t leave without borrowing one myself :sweat_smile:

Also on the work side of thingsā€¦ the books are a large part of it (checking out/returning/ re-shelving/ inventorying) but even the things outside of that are pretty easy. Of course different Libraries are run differently, and depending on the size/area/services the library provides then it changes the workload but again the tasks themselves are relatively simple.

3 Likes

Definitely need a change of venue.

3 Likes

That would be so niceā€¦ I know that here in Canada you need to have a graduate degree to be a librarianā€¦

4 Likes

Congrats. I hope you get it. We all deserve our dream job.

3 Likes

I hope it goes well. Even if you donā€™t get the job, at least you had the courage to start looking for a better job. Itā€™s too easy to settle into a pattern where you keep telling yourself that youā€™ll do this or that tomorrow to make things better, even though taking the first step is never quite as scary as we think it will be.

3 Likes

Umā€¦ yā€™all. I got an interview set for next Friday!

At 8:30 this morning I saw an email saying they were interested and it frickinā€™ blew my mind. I didnā€™t even know it would work! :sweat_smile:

Thank you all so much for the support! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pleading_face: :heart:

Hahaa always wanted to do that. :rofl:

The miscommunication is like the main thing I hate the most. Even though Iā€™ve been working there for two years, Iā€™m still learning and working as if Iā€™m new. I truly only had two days of training and that was on the very quietest days. Ever since then, Iā€™ll take notes and continue to learn whatever so I donā€™t make the mistake again.

But the problem is that Iā€™ll come up to the end of a road on my end and my only solution is to call someone for guidance because how they heck am I supposed to know everything? But then no one answers because Iā€™m working alone in the middle of the night.

Just a few weeks ago, we were incredibly sold out to a point where I couldnā€™t sell four rooms to people who were expecting to arrive. The shift before me is supposed to cancel it all out so I donā€™t have to turn expected guests away. But she couldnā€™t because our manager decided to give people rooms that we didnā€™t have or extended rooms that werenā€™t accounted for. Our manager was the one who put us into a pickle and I was the one who had to turn people away and get people mad about it. Not to mention, during one of those nights I was oversold, I had rooms to sell but was afraid of turning more people away so I didnā€™t sell rooms and I tried calling someone but no one picked up and then I was ā€œyelled atā€ (the words were in CAPS on the book) about itā€¦ like sorry I turned them away. I didnā€™t know I shouldā€™ve because it never happened to me? :roll_eyes: And it shouldnā€™t have happened in the first place anywayā€¦

I know Iā€™ll never be away from drama, negativity, or whatnot because it happens everywhere but it would be nice to start fresh.

That is so cool! :scream: :heart_eyes: Hahaaha at least itā€™s not a bookstore. Iā€™ve heard so many people on TikTok who work at bookstores spend so much of their paycheck on books. :sweat_smile: So borrowing is better than buying. Hahaha

I was thinking that for the most part. Like I know itā€™s not going to only be checking out or restocking shelvesā€”thereā€™s cleaning, organizing, etc. involved and while itā€™s not difficult work, it still can be hard labor and hard on your feet. But simple enough.

Definitely. Iā€™d love to get out of hospitality. Hate it here. :sweat_smile:

The only thing Iā€™ll miss, though, are the room discounts or heck, staying at the hotel for free if I have an ā€œemergency.ā€ :sweat_smile: Those beds are super comfortable!

You have to here in the US as well, but thatā€™s for a librarian spot. My spot is the cashier type of personā€”checking books in and out, restocking stuff, etc. A librarian is the person who manages the library, so they have a whole other set of things they do.

When I was younger, I wanted to see if I could become a librarian but at the time of me looking it up, you had to have a bachelors degree, a driverā€™s license (because you apparently drive to schools and events?) and needed specific certification? I didnā€™t even know that. :sweat_smile:

Thank you! And yes, we all do! :blush:

I was telling my sisters that this morning because I never had this kind of courage before due to my social anxiety and introversion. :sweat_smile: Iā€™ve noticed the job inquiryā€™s been there for months and I never had the courage before despite saying I was going to just because I didnā€™t feel ready. I hate applying to jobs because I always feel like Iā€™m not good enough for them and the long list of requirements and what youā€™re supposed to do is intimidatingā€¦ so I never did it.

Until now. I was just so angry that I was like, ā€œif it happens, it happens. If not, no harm or foul.ā€ Because itā€™s not like Iā€™m quitting my current job right now. If it falls through, I have a stable job to keep me going even though I donā€™t like it. It pays the bills and Iā€™m already comfortable, soā€¦

Exactly!

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for you!

4 Likes

3 Likes

Sending you good luck!

I had the same nervous energy when I applied to my current job at a bookstore (after deciding that working at a library required too many hoops to handle due to the degree in being a librarian thing) so I hope everything goes well for you too!

4 Likes

This sounds so terrible, and I admire you for sticking with them for as long as you did. :vulcan_salute: The library sounds like a place youā€™ll truly flourish and be able to enjoy, Iā€™m glad youā€™ve applied! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get the job! All the very best! :four_leaf_clover: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I hope you get out of there asap! That sounds TERRIBLE!

3 Likes

:partying_face:

Yay!! Good luck!! I hope it goes well for you!

I mean, I thought this too, but then I got to work with people that are actually responsible, accountable and reliable and it makes you realise that a lot of ā€˜adultsā€™ just arenā€™t really adultsā€¦ never say never. Lioke i didnā€™t realise how much workplace drama is really just people who lack certain skills that then carries over into their job if that makes sense?

Also yikes, sounds like you canā€™t get out of there fast enough!

Haha, I think the most difficult part for me was really just remembering all the information. That and (for me any way,) IT/photocopying support just because Iā€™m technologically challenged lol.

3 Likes

Haha, yeah, Iā€™m super nervous. :sweat_smile: It doesnā€™t help my anxiety and my constant overthinking. :rofl: Especially since this is the third interview Iā€™ve ever had in my lifeā€¦ :upside_down_face: But hopefullyā€¦ all goes well. Haha

Thanks! :sweat_smile: Though, honestly, I didnā€™t have much of a choice because there wasnā€™t any jobs here in town and I was already comfortable anyway. haha

Thank you! :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:sweat_smile:

It honestly isnā€™t that terrible, but it is annoying to deal with.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oh, I know, right?! My sisters also deal with a whole bunch of drama at their workplaces because some of the people they work with donā€™t even act like adults. And one of my sisters works at a church, so youā€™d think theyā€™d be better but nope. Theyā€™re just as bad. :rofl: :roll_eyes:

The people Iā€™m working with areā€¦ okay. But thereā€™s too much miscommunication, a small bit of favoritism, and a lot of drama in-between because of it. Itā€™s just that no one is on the same pageā€¦ and things get thrown out of proportion when things get missed or not done right. :confused:

Haha same. :rofl:

I have to remember a lot of stuff with my current job, so I take loads of notes to help me. Most of what I have to remember deals with the computer, though. Our software system isnā€™t really user-friendly and thereā€™s a lot of things Iā€™m still learning about it.

Understanding the copying/faxing machine was a bit hard for me, too. xD But that was also because our old one was confusing and the paper always got stuck or it wasnā€™t doing what it was supposed to do. Then we got a new one and it took me a moment to figure it out and now itā€™s super easy to do. What I also hate is our printers whenever they randomly stop working. I just think they need brand new ones. Haha

But otherwise, Iā€™m a bit of a quick learner if I take notes and mimic what they do. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Crossing fingers!

3 Likes

People are human. The assumption that Christians are better is one of those self-harm mentalities. Christians are called to be better, and thatā€™s really about the difference. Where itā€™s toxic from the Christian end is when the Christian assumes they are better, and where itā€™s toxic from the secular end is when the secular end holds up standards that they donā€™t hold on themselves on ā€œpeople who are supposed to be betterā€. Itā€™s an absolutely merciless cycle.

And itā€™s why Paul made it very clear that all Law (right and wrong) ever did was convict him of sins and made him twice the sinner he would have been while ignorant. Pretty damn blunt worldview from a man who wrote the majority of the New Testamentā€™s letters.

2 Likes

Letā€™s hope you donā€™t have to deal with rowdy homeless people on the library

3 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s true. :sweat_smile:

Hahhaa hopefully not. :sweat_smile: Thankfully I live in a small town and we donā€™t have a lot of homeless people. Every now and again, youā€™ll see some people panhandling, but itā€™s not often. And Iā€™ve never seen a homeless village like Iā€™ve seen in other places, so it may not be bad if I do work at the library? ;sweat_smile: Though, even then, hopefully theyā€™ll be way better than the drunks Iā€™ve dealt with, and Iā€™ll be working with others so I wonā€™t be alone. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I love this!

Iā€™m still a student and Iā€™ve been trying to apply to my local library for months now. I sent like two applications for the same position, which was the only one open for my age group and I donā€™t think theyā€™ll accept me again anytime soon.

But itā€™s great that youā€™re making a move to a job you would love more!

Iā€™m not giving up! And I hope you get in, be sure to keep us updated!!

4 Likes