I don't know what to title this... I want your advice? or just talk

So, apart from writing stories about girls turning into rats, I also do research. Yeah, I keep that research side of my life out of my writing life most of the time because I consider myself more a writer than a researcher. Anyway, I need your advice or just talk or something.

If you want to collaborate with someone on an academic research paper, how do you find and ask them without being stalkery or pushy?

The paper must be me as the first author. And preferably the other person must be more experienced than me in writing academic papers.

I considered creating a linkedin account until my mom said strange men tried to talk to her. So, not an option.

I am part of an academic association, but I haven’t really been keeping in touch with the people I met. Yes, I have their business cards, but wouldn’t it be weird contacting them after 5 years?

Contacting them again would be like going up to them saying:

“Hey…” awkward wave “remember me? The girl from Japan? Yeah, we talked for two minutes during coffee break at a conference attended by hundreds of people. Would you like to write a paper with me?”

Wouldn’t it be kind of like that? And these are established people. Not some nobody like me.

Or is it not weird? Would they be down to collaborate if I came up with a solid plan and showed it to them?

Oh, and the reason I’m asking you guys is that I value your thoughts and consider you all friends :relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t think it will be odd, perhaps you could single one of them out and just begin to speak with them again. Mention that you appreciate their insights as colleagues, and want some collaboration writing this academic paper. If they need time to think it over, or want more information, you can offer your number/socials.

You’re good and you’re totally fine asking someone that type of question, I don’t think it’s stalkerish at all! You’re just a professional wanting to collaborate, which is oftentimes what occurs in business.

2 Likes

So, it wouldn’t be weird even though we’ve barely talked and they might not remember me at all? There are some I met twice (I went to the conference in person twice) but it wasn’t clear if they actually remembered me.

And you don’t think that I’d be bothering them?

You’re not a bother, it’s perfectly fine to want to collaborate on projects, and if they don’t want to–worse they’ll do is say no. If you’re worried about whether or not they remember you, then maybe mention it. “Hey! I don’t know if you know me, I’m TigerWriter, and I was wondering if you’d like to collaborate on a project about _____.” Perhaps offer them time to think of it, hey here are my socials, here’s my number if you have any questions.

I think it’s professional, and I don’t think it’s weird at all. You are not a bother <3

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right. The worst they could do is say “no”. It’s worth a try, isn’t it? Thank you for reassuring me :relaxed:

I might try contacting one of them on Monday.

1 Like

Americans are more “Oi, wana do this?!”…well, without the Oi.

3 Likes

A linkedin article?

They have something like 6 sources to try, in the article, so it’s not just up to the one you objected to. Lol

I would say just go ahead and ask. If you have a research topic in mind already you can try and find someone with similar interests, or if not nbd you can figure it out with your future paper partner. You can just reach out and be like, “hey i want to try writing an academic paper, do you want to collaborate with me?”