I’ll edit your first chapter for free

So, I’ve been missing this writing community. I’ve not written anything for a year, and I haven’t interacted on here in just as long. I was editing a lot last year too and had to drop some of the longer term commitments.

I’d love to do editing again but starting small, so I wondered if anyone wanted me to edit their first chapter?

Editing will include (but not be limited to) making suggestions on:

• Grammar, spelling, punctuation
  • Tenses
  • Passive voice
  • Sentence structure
  • Word choice
  • Info dumps
  • Flow
  • Metaphors
  • Dialogue (beyond just the punctuation of it)

I’ll do it for free, and I’ll edit anything in English (American, British, Canadian, etc.). No restrictions on genre or triggers. No credentials - I just love telling people when they’re wrong doing it!

Let me know :point_down:

7 Likes

Aww, welcome back!

1 Like

Thank you! Good to be back.

1 Like

Do you wanna edit Sad Boy, remember him?

2 Likes

I have a chapter I’d love to show you, but I need to round off the scene. I am fighting present tense a little, plus wanna see if it’s dragging in any part, plus if the new character comes across as nice, fuzzy and soft. If you still have time I can send you a link over the weekend :sweat_smile: and thank you!

1 Like

Sure, let’s do it. Send it to me when you’re ready.

1 Like

Yes, of course! I’ll keep an eye out for it over the weekend.

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you so much!

I’ve got some more slots if anyone else is interested. DM me or reply here!

1 Like

I would like some dialogue and word choice help with the first chapter of my current work, long overdue for an update. Wattpad Link: Goddess v2.0. Oh, and I hope I’ve managed to avoid presenting any dreaded info dumps.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll take a look at it over the next couple of days. I quickly skimmed it earlier and doesn’t look like it will need much editing, so I’ll focus on the specific things you’ve asked for.

2 Likes

Would you mind editing a first chapter from a second book in a series? I’d love some feedback on the flow, sentence structure, and overall interest. Is it hooking enough? Does a passive, boring tone make it drag on? Will share the link if you’d be willing to check it out.

2 Likes

Yes, of course. Send it over and I’ll look this week.

2 Likes

All done. Feel free to dismiss anything that isn’t useful, or ask me if any of my comments are unclear. Was a great first chapter.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help. I think I’ve fixed most of the issues you spotted. Oh, the doctor’s mention of Ben-Gurion is a reference to a famous quote…and the reason why he calls the sleeping girl ‘little miracle’…

In Israel, in order to be a realist, you must believe in miracles ~ David Ben-Gurion (Israel’s first Prime Minister).

2 Likes

Ha ha, yes, gotcha. Thanks for sharing. Good quote.

1 Like

Please, I would love if you could take a look at my omniscient lit fic magical realism and experimental piece with a hint of dark comedy and satire. The narrator is also kind of like one of the characters almost, making commentary and sometimes ridiculing the protagonists. So far, one reviewer said the first chapter was good and not overwhelming, but please tell me what you make of it.

There is one concern. The style sometimes has tell-y moments. Even using “he felt”. Perhaps those could be edited, but sometimes I feel like it can’t be helped. Maybe that’s just me being lazy, idk. So, with any tell-y moments, let me know what you think of them.

The book: Alive At Crepusculum

2 Likes

Great, yes, I’ll take a look now and share some notes later today or tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks! Take your time :blush:

2 Likes

All done - hope some of it is useful! Thought it worked really well.

2 Likes