If you are going to vacate in another country where not much English is spoken, would you buy a fancy translator or deal with it?

True. It’s always a either or option for me, don’t understand why though.

1 Like

Just hopping in to say hope you enjoy the trip!

2 Likes

thanks! maybe we’ll cross paths :open_mouth: and we’d never even know it.

2 Likes

It would be nice to visit New England, or maybe California, Vegas, Niagara Falls. Canada would be fabutastical! Just anywhere, really. Even Disney World in Orlando might be nice, but not without moolah. Lots and lots of moolah. (♯^.^ღ)

2 Likes

We should have AI language translators soon (text-to-text, voice-to-voice, mix of both), so I’d have a few of those loaded onto all of my devices. Perplexity AI (free online AI search engine) seems to do a decent job with English to Japanese (Hiragana) text. Give this software type another year of development and we’re set.

But first I need an AI Bobby Axelrod to manage / grow what little savings I have, or to divine the next lotto draw so there’s more savings to play with on the Stock Market…No more international Economy flights, ever…

1 Like

Translators, fancy or not, just cause even more problems because they’re usually wrong. At least that’s been my experience. Learn the basics of the language and take a language guide. Thankfully, majority of touristy countries now have signs in english because that’s one of the most popular languages with tourists

1 Like

How would you learn a new language if you were preparing for travel to another country for vacation?

Just curious to know.

1 Like

Hopefully be visiting family.

2 Likes

Honestly, i always try to at least familiarise myself with the basics (hello, goodbye, please, thanks, im not great at [language], etc). Usually tour guide books or dummie guides or websites.

It has been many years since I’ve gone to a country that doesnt have english in the top 4 languages so it hasnt been as much of a worry recently :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

English is the most widely spoken language in the world now, so I imagine most countries have found that most of their tourists are probably English speakers. I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you. Are you going on a trip this year? If so, lucky you! (*^-‘) 乃

Where are you going?

1 Like

Not going on any trips. I need to save for that to happen.

Yeah, it sucks…

1 Like

How about loading some language translation AIs into these glasses, once they enter mass-production. At least to help with reading foreign languages while abroad.

1 Like

I would stress about it, so I chose that I won’t go unless they speak a little English. But I think it’s quite impossible these days to find a country that doesn’t at least speak a LITTLE English.

Find a way to translate using AI or whatever. And stress about it. But really, I’d probably avoid going to local places or going to places without an English-speaking guide at least.

This response is based on a kind-of negative experience going to Europe for the first time.

Years ago, I went to Amsterdam, Netherlands, and while people in the city spoke some English, I was surprised how little the locals in the towns spoke English despite Dutch sounding like English :stuck_out_tongue: I’d hear just Dutch being spoken, and then, in a very American-like accent they’d say, “Okay”. Shocking.

I stressed about going to local restaurants the entire time and left the talking all up to the guy I happened to end up with. Both of us students participating in the same academic conference.

That was such a stressful seven days.

Didn’t help that I got sick while there.

2 Likes

Traveling across the globe is on my bucket list, and this includes visiting countries where English isn’t a native language. Italy, Japan, Brazil, Egypt, Singapore, China, Spain, and so many more. But I’ve heard, and agree with, that if you choose to go to a country where English (or whatever native language you have) isn’t spoken or spoken often, you should try to learn said language. Of course, you don’t have to be fluent and speak it in a broken tongue, but learn some words and phrases to show you’re being respectful and putting in the effort.

Just like with English-speaking countries, if you visit a place where English is the primary language, you should try to learn it, even in small quantities. For example, yes America isn’t an official “English speaking country” because it’s a melting-pot of a country with lots of various ethnicities and backgrounds, but English is a primary language used throughout the whole country. If you go to school and can’t speak English, you are given lessons on how to speak it. If you go to any business, grocery store, or other, everything is written in English. Unless you’re in a particular area or neighborhood where there’s a bunch of people who are either from the same country as you or speak in the same language, you can’t walk into most places and speak your native language and assume everyone is gonna know what you’re saying. Just like how I can’t go to Japan and assume everyone knows English just because there are some famous people who can speak it.

But sometimes, especially if you plan on visiting multiple countries, you may not have the time to do so. You can learn simple words like “Hi, how are you?” in the language, or other things, but if you don’t have time, that’s fine. As long as you try and also have some kind of way to translate, that’s cool.

I meet a lot of people from different countries, some can’t speak anything in English and others can speak a little bit. Personally, it can be a bit frustrating when we don’t have anyone who can speak their language at the time and when they don’t want to use Deepl or any other online translator. It’s also frustrating when they come in and assume you speak their language because I’ll have people come up to the desk and instantly talk and I’m like, “I have no idea what you’re saying,” and they’re expecting me to know their language… when they’re in a country that, again, primarily speaks English. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes