I'm going try a somewhat new yet different reading method. Hear me out...I guess.

I want to try this way of reading fiction or at least the ones I have.
I have audiobook and a physical copy of the same book. Yes, I can do one or the other, but I don’t want to do that.

Look, I am going to be honest when I say I RATHER WRITE FICTION THAN READ FICTION!!! Reading fiction is a GIANT struggle for me. I cannot visualize whenever read, there aren’t many books that fit me or come close to what I would like, there’s the possibility that I might have ADHD that is gradually getting worse because I am not taking anything for it, and my mind get cluttered whenever I read.

The books I want to read aren’t even the books I want to write.
The books I write are decent or fair but is it something I would read. Don’t really know.

To be blunt the books I would write are extremely hard to explain and downright personal. So, in other words, I have not reached a point in writing where I can truly write what I really want to reach.

I am trying but I fully gotten there yet.
Anyway, I am going to listen to an audiobook while reading a physical copy of the same book.

You can tell me not to do that, but I am hardheaded and need to try things out on my own.

Which presses the question: why did I make this topic in the first place?

What do you think?

2 Likes

I hear about people who do this all the time. Some booktubers even read the book part way and listen to it the rest, or listen to it part way and read the rest physically.

Whatever works for you as long as you are enjoying reading. If it’s not something that brings joy, don’t force yourself.

2 Likes

“Write the story you want to read… And nothing more.” - SecretDurham

My only advice. Don’t know if it helps. But it’s all I got…

SD

1 Like

This strikes me as the most responsible way to listen to a book, especially for a writer, as it allows you to see punctuation, line breaks, etc. that you’d otherwise miss out on by only listening. In addition, you get to hear how the book is read, illustrating how each of these aforementioned aspects affects the rhythm of the piece.

2 Likes

It does? :pleading_face:

I think you should read however is best for you so if this helps you, awesome. I hope you have an easier time getting into the story that way

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!
:slightly_smiling_face:

I tried it a little bit. I just have to get in the habit of doing it more and more along with staying on track. So, will I do this again?

You bet your sweet bum I will! LOL!
:grin:

1 Like