In terms of storytelling and characters, which would you prefer out of these options?

You can only choose one and if you don’t like neither of them, stick around to view the other’s comments.

• Alice in Wonderland.
  • The Wizard of OZ.
0 voters

Do choose wisely.

3 Likes

When you vote, explain why you choose that option based on the storytelling and character aspect?

I liked both stories, but Wizard of Oz has very little conflict…every time any unpleasantness rears its ugly head, something magically happens to save the heroes or they happen to have a magic cap with them, or some cute little furry creatures owe them a favor or something and saves the day. I read it once and that was enough. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

Alice in Wonderland, on the other hand, I totally loved, and read it dozens of times. (ღ˘ᴗ˘ღ)

1 Like

Now, what would you say about the movies?

1 Like

The characters in the Wizard of Oz are easier to talk to, in my eyes.

2 Likes

I only saw the 1951 Disney version of Alice, and the 1939 version of Oz with Judy Garland. The Wizard of Oz was amazing, and the Disney Alice movie was okay, though slightly different from the book. Actually, both movies differed from the books, but the Wizard of Oz differed in a good way. I’ve never seen any of the live action versions of Alice, have you? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

Yeah. The ones with Johnny Depp?

2 Likes

What did you think of it? Was it any good?

2 Likes

To me it’s okay. Watch it for yourself and see if you would like it.

It’s been a while since I watched it.

1 Like

I’d say Alice in Wonderland… the “newer” version. I actually don’t remember much of the original, but I remember mostly of the live action version with Johnny Depp, and I prefer that one over Wizard of Oz. WOO has interesting characters, but if I remember it correctly, it’s kind of boring… and long winded. No pun intended. xD

With Alice, there’s quite a bit at stake, and while it can be drawn out in place, the storyline seems better to me. And it has more interesting characters.

Oh, we were talking about the books? :sweat_smile:

Never read them… :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

I’d vote but it would be biased lol :sweat_smile:

I had to read some excerpts of AiW for school and enjoyed the zany storytelling

But I haven’t read or really had any exposure to the WoO books

3 Likes

Either or. :blush:

2 Likes

I am accepting movies too!

2 Likes

You need to read the first Wizard of Oz book, it’s very imaginative.

3 Likes

I’ve written a story based on both books, so it is a little hard for me to choose :stuck_out_tongue: They each have their own good parts.

For the books, I like Alice in Wonderland better because of the whimsical aspects and how the characters seem more refined. I also can say I like it better because both Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are full stories while Wizard of Oz is all over the place. L. Frank Baum wasn’t really consistent with his lore either. So much so that even Wikipedia is confused.

In terms of the movie, for Wizard of Oz, I watched the one with Judy Garland and there was a live action movie called Oz. But Oz was more about how the wizard of Oz came to be the wizard of Oz. I completely forgot about it because I don’t think I liked it much. It was advertised like this grand magical movie, but I remember it was a lot of talking and not much action. Also the guy who played Oz wasn’t so good? I just remember feeling bored and cringing.

Alice in Wonderland, I watched the animated one and the two live action films. I can’t compare them. I liked both.

I don’t have a preference between Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz in terms of the film. They each have their own charm :blush:

4 Likes

The live action Alice movies were fun :grin: I saw them at the movie theater.

You can’t compare them to the Disney film. They really took it and made it into a fantasy action adventure story. They gave Alice more background and her own story. It begins with her as a young woman. It’s implied that when she was little her aunt or guardian or something thought she had gone crazy, but she’s better now. I think she’s about to get married or meet her potential suitor or something like that. Some life changing thing she really doesn’t seem to look forward to.

Then she stumbles back into Wonderland and everything is not as it was when she was there last. It’s all dark. But the characters there remember her (but she’s not sure if she remembers them) and she’s needed for something and people are after her. There’s some evil things going on, too.

Unlike the animated film where Alice wants to go home, the live action is more about her figuring out her fate there. The second live action Through the Looking Glass is sort of a continuation of the first, and also answering some mysteries left over from the first movie, going into some backstory of the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp, and an important character in the films, too).

The two movies did a good job connecting Alice’s story in Wonderland, to her story in her own world in terms of character development and plot. Some parallels. That was nice.

3 Likes

Alice takes the lead, leaving Dorothy in the dust.

Not a pun, in all honesty. LOL!

1 Like