In your very own opinion, what makes someone a "genius"?

In your own words, what is considered a genius? What makes a person a genius or just very intelligent?

Whether it is academic wise or way of life or something else, what makes a human being a genius, IN YOUR OWN OPINION?!

2 Likes

@AMMeyers
@MatthewJH
@JohnnyTuturro
@Xelyn_Craft
@J.L.O
@lowarlo
@JojoDahlia

2 Likes

I think itā€™s a combination of both.

Someone can be really book smart (academically) and yet lack being street smart or being smart about life, and vice versa. Like, learning to be financially stable, having the knowledge to know how to buy a house or a car, how to be/sound professional, and more. Life/street smarts comes from experience or observing othersā€™ experience, and that allows you to be wise and become ā€œsmart.ā€

I think that itā€™s most common for people to be smart in one and not the other, though depending on the person, they can be a genius in bothā€¦ but perhaps rarely. Though this doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t improve. You can always learn and adapt to help you gain various successes, whatever those might be.

Personally, Iā€™d say that Iā€™m academically smart but not entirely street smart. Like, if I had to create a chart for you, the bar will be pretty high for academics, but be below average on street/life. Sure, I may know some things, but itā€™s not like Iā€™m a genius like others who know more than I do. And even though Iā€™m slow with learning, I have a knack, a craving even, for more knowledge. I was one of the weirdos who enjoyed school when it came to learning. Justā€¦ donā€™t give me any math. Math and I have and will never work out. But history, science, reading, writing, etc.? Iā€™m all for it.

1 Like

Common sense smart, innovative. A good problem solver who uses logic. Not some hack who takes an IQ test and boasts about it.

2 Likes

Personally, I believe a genius is not someone that has a lot of knowledge, but someone who knows intuitively how to properly apply the knowledge they have. A genius rocket scientist may not know how to play the piano, but if she can get a shuttle into space, then she is still a genius. A genius pianist may not know how to build a rocket, but if he can play a masterpiece with his fingers on the keys, then he is still a genius. Itā€™s not how much knowledge you have, itā€™s how you use it.

1 Like

I am the standard for genius.

Thatā€™s IQ-wise the border between what is genius or not. Someoneā€™s got to be at or above my level or theyā€™re not a genius.

What this does is complicate things.

1. I could be arrogant and not give anyone beneath me the time of day.

2. I can marvel at the ingenius things ā€œdumb peopleā€ get right.

3. I can go so far as to say that its jsut a measuremrnt of the brainā€™s ability to process information and accept that this is seperate from the soul of the person.

In raality Iā€™m all 3 things because Iā€™m an irrational human being like anyone else out there.

I mean, its hard to interact with someone who is clearly dumber than you and is sure that youā€™re the idiot. I mean, there are times I donā€™t need to waste my life on conversing with idiots. People can geniunely waste your time.

But that doesnā€™t have to be a genius issue. There are geniunely brilliant people out there who are clearly mad: no one should follow them. And people already do this over ideology, forget that quite literally the trend (minor as it is) is that the most educated and least educated favor the same political affiliation while those who arenā€™t either the best or worst favor the other direction.

And there is such a thing as IQ bias. Those tests were geared toward finding out how well you regurgitate learning. Theyā€™ve fixed that, but thereā€™s no way to wholly remove that from testing. And we do it in daily life: someone we agree with is given the favorability of being smarter thsn they are, while soneone who heatedly disagrees with you must be dumb be ause they cant agree with your assessment.

So looking at marveling at things the not-so-bright create.

Writing: vocabulary is the big test of intelligence, not writjng stories. You can write a perfectly decent story on a 6th grade reading level: a lot of writers do, for children. And there are some childrenā€™s tales that I fondly recall because they were a marvel of their time.

Nkw, as a writer, it does help to be smart. That means that you have more processing ability on keeping track of what your story should be able to do, but its not absolutely required.

Besides if we were being logcal, the odds of making it in this industry reuqres a suspension of intelligence and luck.

But the last one is the kicker. I can score higher on tests because Iā€™m faster than someone who is equally as intelligent but takes longer to process. This is the story of me and the hubby. Heā€™s not an idiot, but some days he feels like one because Iā€™ve already figured it out and want it done with 5 minutes ago. It does show up more in ā€œemotional IQā€ but still is annoying.

And then there is my roomate. She has brain damage from a stroke. Shes the same person in there. My mom had a brain cancer. She was still the same person in there.

But watching the processor atrophy leaves you feeling like you lose the person before they die.

1 Like

Ah! Thatā€™s the name (common sense). I couldnā€™t think of it at the time and just came up with street smart lol :rofl: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, but I think both are similar lol.

2 Likes

Someone who is a genius, to me, is someone who does something exceptionally well and has made great strides (societally) in their particular field(s) of study.

There are creative geniusā€™, medical geniusā€™, scientific geniusā€™, philosophical geniusā€™, etc.

1 Like

Thank you guys so much for the comments.

Iā€™m giving you all big squishy cuddly hugs.

Gives everyone a big olā€™ huggie @lowarlo, @J.L.O, @Xelyn_Craft, @AMMeyers, and @JohnnyTuturro

:people_hugging: :hugs:

4 Likes

I swear Iā€™m not a weirdoā€¦

:rofl:

1 Like

Says the weirdo who replied to herself to tell everyone that :flushed:

1 Like

LMAO!
Yeahā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Honestly, I donā€™t think anyone is a genius overall. Everyone (well, most people) are intelligent in their own areas, interests, fields, etc but can be pretty stupid in other things. Thereā€™s academic smarts, street smarts, emotional smarts. Thereā€™s just too many different types of smart and thereā€™s no way to master every single one of them because human brains arenā€™t wired that way. Sure, you can get pretty good at a lot of them and be seen as smart, but I couldnā€™t go as far as to call anyone a genius (unless itā€™s sarcastic because theyā€™ve done something stupid)

1 Like

Doesnā€™t have to be super-intelligent (but it helps) and absolutely not an academic, a lot of historical figures that are considered geniuses never did very well in school. Emotional intelligence is also very underrated when we talk about geniuses.

I think itā€™s mostly about being able to look at the world and itā€™s problems in a way that most people donā€™t? No matter what it is youā€™re doing, and most geniuses will never get any recognition for it :grin:

1 Like

The thing about common sense is that itā€™s not very common, but common people always think they have common sense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A genius is what you get when you combine natural gifts, appropriate life environment and exceptional work ethic, in a particular craft, pursuit or skill.

1 Like

Informed (educated) adaptive thinking and innovative problem solving is a key aspect of genius-hood.

For example, (based on what I can remember from the book) the Talpiotā€™s entrance exam includes a timed spoken test were cadets are given a random problem to solve, or random technical term to explain. The cadets are assessed on their abilities to justify their answers / rationalise their train of thought, not on if their answers were correct.

Also, in the field of Information Management, and the Information Markets in general, adaptive thinking and creative (client-focused) communicative abilities are considered the primary components for success / market survival.

Oh, and Iā€™ve heard that in the Israeli Air Force, combat pilots are only considered for promotion if they can defeat their commanding officers in a 1v1 ā€˜mockā€™ dogfight. Textbook knowledge is only good for learning the basics of combat, real world skills and quick adaptive reactions are more important.

A few somewhat relevant quotesā€¦

Problems cannot be solved by the same mindset that created them ~ Einstein

Never become a creature of habit ~ British SAS

The success of the Israeli Special Forces is 10% training, 90% chutzpah ~ unknown quote.

Improvise, adapt, overcome ~ US Military.

1 Like

From my personal, absolute personal perspective,

if you like math, you know, the really, really complicated stuff,

and you can do it easily like breathing,

and you are too young to be able to do it (like an elementary school kid doing high school math)

you are a genius.

Because I suck at math XD

I could get all deep about ā€œgeniusā€ being different depending on who is looking at the person, ā€œgeniusā€ not always relating to numbers and science and computers, and ā€œare all inventors in history a genius?ā€ stuffā€¦

but thatā€™s too much for my brain right now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like