Indian Dressing culture - a brief guide

Hrm?

2 Likes

Am working on the next one, but this is taking a little longer because Iā€™m trying to do things somewhat differently this time

3 Likes

Some types of traditional sareers

This time, weā€™re going to look at saree styles from all over the country, that are draped differently, and next time, weā€™ll cover fabrics!

1. Kanjeewaram: This south indian style is categorized by its thick and heavily designed borders, called katha, and the padar, which has a pattern similar to the katha. These are silk sarees, usually hand woven, and known for their craftsmanship. These are also often worn to functions, but for the most important functions, the benarasi sarees are preffered. With good reason, Kanjeewaram is also known as the benarasi saree of the south.
    Kanjeewaram

2. Gujarati drape: This is not a type of saree, more of a drape of saree. It is worn differently in the sense that the padar, which usually falles down your back upto your knee, in this case is taken up front and openes like a fan on your chest. Difficult to visualise if you havenā€™t seen it in action, so hereā€™s an image.
    "Gujarati

3. Benarasi silk sarees: These sarees of course, come from benaras and are made of silk. These are, like the kanjeewaram, known for their patterns and weave, and the katha and padar, which make these really famous. These have intricate detailing even on the main body, gold work, gold patterns. These are very very functional and are almost always worn only for special functions and events.

Benarasi saree

* coded by val *

7 Likes
Always feel free to ask me any questions you have, or anything you want me to cover! I'll go over those soon, too!

* coded by val *

5 Likes

wait wait wait wait-
Youā€™re Maharashtrian?

2 Likes

ā€¦yes!

1 Like

:sob: I never thought I would find one.
I am too!! Where do you live?

3 Likes

Hey guys! This time, weā€™re covering DAILYWEAR! (traditional, ofc)

A KURTA is traditionally just mens-wear, but now itā€™s worn by everyone across genders. Itā€™s charactersied by a long formal top that reaches your knees - although fashions make it shorter or longer - and has splits at the sides below the hips. This is accompanied by a chudidaar or salwaar, tradtionally - yes, the same pant style you would wear with a punjabi dress. Now, fashion includes wearing these with many styles - the palazzo, for example.
For formal functions, this is also accompanied by a jacket.

Simple cotton Kurta:

couple in simple kurta

A little bit of fancy never hurt anyone:

fancy kurta

These are what pass for mensā€™ wedding wear in Maharashtra, not traditionally our dress, but most popular - except for the pooja bits, but weā€™ll cover those outfits later. Let me know what other dress styles youā€™d like to see, or if there are dress for specific events you want me to cover, or anything else!

taglist: @stella_vigo @J.L.O @Manya707 (request to get added to the taglist below)
*coded by val*
7 Likes

Iā€™m also planning to reorganize this slightly - Iā€™ll add a table of contents in the first post, and Iā€™ll do one style per post so it shouldnā€™t take me as long to get these up.

coded by val

1 Like

Hey guys! I have the next one researched and almost ready, but exams are starting next week and Iā€™ve been really really busy, so Iā€™ll put it up once exams are over - near the 24th, if thatā€™s fine.

4 Likes

Iā€™m back with sarees!

ā€¦yes, more sarees. You can never have enough sarees.

The BENGALI SAREE, is a traditionally white and red saree - white for the body, and red for the katha (borders). This is also draped in the Bengali style, also known as the Athpourey style. Instead of pleats both at the bottom and top, this saree is just draped 'round the waist and then over the upper body. THe pallu is pulled over the right shoulder.

bengali saree

Fun Fact: Tradtionally, the head of the house would tie the keys to the pallu to indicate status.

The Coorgi Drape is a very specific drape worn in a very tiny region ā€“ Coorg in Karnataka. The main difference from a general drape is in the upper body - instead of draping it diagonally over the shoulder, Coorgi ladies drape it horizontally under the arms and bring the pallu over the right shoulder like the bengali drape.

Fun Fact: Coorg is known for itsā€™ military regiment in the army and honorable people. Class 10 students in India have a lesson about Coorg in their english textbooks.

taglist: @stella_vigo @J.L.O @Manya707 (request to get added to the taglist below)

Do you guys want me to add a resources post where I direct you to articles about different dresses? I'll make it a wiki so everyone can share.
*coded by val*
4 Likes

Okay, so I have officially run out of ideas for this thread. Tell me what you want me to cover next (Iā€™m not unwilling to do research if I donā€™t know much!)

Let me know if you have any ideas. Also for those who reply ā€˜otherā€™ to the poll below

*coded by val*

So in the spirit of the previous post, hereā€™s a poll of things I donā€™t know much about but will research for the thread if you guys want it

• Indian Fashion (couture) / latest fashion news in India
  • A guide to the traditional and dance dresses across India
  • Make a new thread about food
  • Make a new thread about dances
  • Other (specify in wiki above this post)

0 voters

*coded by val*
1 Like

What about footwear? And any accessories, how they are properly called and worn?

3 Likes

OOOH yesss, I forgot all about those! Iā€™ll have something ready with that soon!

4 Likes

SHoes.
Okay, so as far as I know, there arenā€™t too many different shoe styles in India. I do know of one called Paduka, which were once used regularly, but are now just for temples.
Paduka are basically wooden flat shoes with one wooden nail-like shape which separate the smaller toes from the thumb.
It looks like this:

taglist: @stella_vigo @J.L.O @Manya707

(request to get added to the taglist below)

coded by val

4 Likes

They look so comfy. Argh. (ā™Æ^.^įƒ¦)

2 Likes

Just a heads-up: you might want to edit the code for the taglist. Itā€™s unreadable on light mode and desktop unless you zoom in :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah, alright

1 Like