Is this a part of a having ADHD or not so much? (READ BEFORE COMMENTING)

It’s in regards to typing on a computer keyboard.

Like, I am fine for the most part, but still glance at the keys sometimes.
Yet when I am typing for a little long, I start getting sloppy and another thing is that mistakes are a constant thing.

When I am typing, my hands are bit faster than my mind, thus mistakes happen.
I also type slow and a bit wonky too. Some day are okay-ish, while other days aren’t so much.

I was just wondering if anyone here with ADHD have this problem too or does it not matter if you have ADHD, and can be something some people just have?

I tried typing tests and those stress me out greatly in the beginning.
Then I find myself not going back after a few tries.

Thoughts and feelings?

1 Like

Some yes, some no.

Forcing me to learn propwr typing is where most of this backfired for me" of course Im going to tpye slower than my brain half the time when I dont have my fingering memorized. Of course I’m going to get moments wjere it feels like my hands are a hwad of me, as my mind wanders. And DEFINSTELY getting sloppy and quiting self-improvement is a common ADHD trait.

But it ia not all one thing. You type faster when your fingers know where they are supposed to be. That is why I’m only now getting to the poi t where my typing on my phone is not off every other word (downgrade in size, so my thumbs are NOT where they are supposed to be)

1 Like

Oh, you can forget it.
I have to take my time when texting or just typing on the phone.

When I try being better than what I am, I get sloppy and make obvious mistakes on either the phone or computer.

I dislike making careless mistakes, but I also wish I wasn’t so hard on myself when it comes to that.

1 Like

It is great knowing that.

I don’t have ADHD (or not that I’m aware of) and I type moderately fast (roughly 55-65 words per minute). I don’t often look at the keyboard unless I’m not familiar with it. When I type on my sister’s small laptop, I have to constantly look at the keyboard and I type much slower, plus if I type fast on it, I make a lot more mistakes than I would on my laptop’s keyboard. With the keyboards at work, I’m familiar with them and don’t often look at them, but some of them are old and get sticky keys so… I end up looking at them a bit more than usual and make more mistakes than usual.

Like you, my hands type faster than my thoughts so I’m constantly typing and then deleting things because I’m like, “That’s not what I wanted to actually say.” xD

Typing tests also stress me out and I make WAY MORE mistakes than I would if I wasn’t put under that much pressure haha.

You can also forget about mobile device keyboards (phones, tablets, etc.) as they are my worst nightmare. :confused:

1 Like

I thought it was just something everyone dealt with, but then, I never asked. I know I deal with it too, but I also have ADHD.

1 Like

What’s your typing speed?

It’s been several years since I checked, but last I did take a test for it, I was at about 90 wpm. I’ve always been a very fast typer.

1 Like

Wow, that’s way better than me. :sweat_smile:
I’m impressed.

Problem is, I also make a lot of mistakes and have to use the backspace key a lot lol

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. Lol!

I hear that.

Yeah, I rather not be on a time crunch like that.

Ugh! The very same!

Like, I’d be typing a word or sentence and make a mistake, then fix it only to make THE VERY SAME MISTAKE. At that point, I am either very tired or not getting it or something else.

I try not to look at them too much too and still make mistakes. Yeah, it also depends on the keyboard for me too, because some keyboard I do fine with, but others it’s a struggle.

Still, I love clicky-clacky keyboards!

1 Like

Anybody else dealt with this, regardless if you have ADHD or not?

personally have never had this issue and i have adhd, my average typing speed is about 100+ but i can peak at 140+ if i’m trying to type fast :thonk:
pretty sure it’s just a random anyone can have this issue sort of thing rather than it being tied to adhd specifically? hmm

1 Like

Interesting.

So, this is a purely me thing, huh?

yes and no! i wouldn’t say it’s a “you” thing because i feel like it implies it’s “your” fault for being that way? i’d just say it’s just a quirk you have :]

1 Like

Ah…thanks for letting me know.

Not sure what my typing speed is but I type pretty fast especially since I’ve been working/messing with computers for most of my life. I was taught the “proper” way when I was like in Jr High but honestly, I don’t know anyone who actually types that way lol my mom did I guess and she was an administrative assistant/receptionist most of her career. :thinking:

Anyway, I think it’s true what you say, your mind works faster than your fingers and you’re in such a hurry to get it out, especially if you have short term memory issues like I do (also a trait of ADHD amongst other things) because you’re trying to get the exact sentence/idea out how you envision it before you’re like…what the heck was I going to write again? Dang it! It was in my head a second ago! Gah! :laughing:

I think mental state can affect it too. It’s natural to make mistakes but even for work, I have days where my brain forgets how to spell something I KNOW how to spell, and I know that I KNOW how to spell the stupid word, and it’s like, I just have a brain fart. Or I keep misspelling the same word/fixing it in chats and I joke with my co-workers that I can’t English on those days.

Did you know there are people that exist that have literally NOTHING in their minds? Just blankness? Quietness? Like they’re literally incapable of envisioning anything in their head, might not even have internal monologue. When I learned that, I was like holy crap, that’s kind of scary. How do these people live life? But then again, having some silence in my head might be nice every now and then. Instead it’s a constant flow of different “TV channels” on at the same time. I think Sherlock Holmes has it right:

“You see,” he explained, “I consider that a man’s brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has difficulty laying his hands upon it. Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.”

Our brains can only store so much and I think when we’re trying to remember everything/learn everything, especially with ADHD brain that wants to do ALL the things, the brain at some point is forced to put some things in the back burner even without us consciously realizing it. Some days it’s obvious when you can’t “English” like what happens to me, constant mistakes, can’t remember basic words or how to spell them, or your vocabulary suddenly shrinks to that of a grade school kid. Not even haha I have days where I’m sure a fifth grader can write better than me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I know the struggles!

I really hate when I am in the zone with my writing and then I get a brain fart at a certain moment or stare blankly into space out of nowhere.

I’m like “Qualeshia, you were really in the zone, only to stop for what…nothing?”.

Seriously, do you get moments where your mind is too loud and/or ridiculously vivid?

1 Like

I’ve got ADHD, and I actually had a lot the problems you have with typing when I had to write by hand. The speed at which I can write was completely incorrect set against the speed at which I can think (I tend to think extremely quickly but the thought will often vanish before I can process it—consequence of having a real fast reaction speed but very poor memory.) Typing works best for me because I sort of internally memorized the keyboard layout when I was fairly little—and then did online school throughout the pandemic only ever typing—so once I locked into the keyboard layout and became able to use it almost as an extension of my mind, I could type fairly quickly and not even have to think about the keys. Can’t do that when it comes to writing by hand, though. I don’t think being good or struggling with typing is necessary an ADHD trait, but it’s possible that the reason you may struggle with typing over something else could be linked to ADHD?

1 Like