Is this the worst writing advice online?

Yes, yes, but you were responding to me on an “it seems”, where there’s an extra layer of wtf to it. Lol

Anyway, we’re not going to be that far off each other, in the long run.

I promise I’m not angry. I am a decisive person which makes me seem more aggressive.

1 Like

True, I didn’t keep the exact phrasing in mind. I tend to think in concepts rather than words, so I got the general concept of what you were saying without retaining the details.

I’m glad you aren’t angry. You stick to your guns and I can respect that. I’m much the same way and often come off agressive when I’m merely trying to be assertive. Sometimes passionate debates look like arguments to others and I just wanted to make sure you didn’t see this as a fight rather than a discussion.

3 Likes

I ran troll forums as a backup admin with guys who weren’t emotionally adults. So, I can take a pretty good bit.

People really should try to go round a few times until they are sure they are on the same page.

Besides, this is the fun part:
If you only speak of one aspect, there’s still other things it affects.

These are conditional statements, not truths:

1. If women have it harder with the sex-hormones, then men have no excuse for their lack of control.

2. If women have a longer cycle that starts earlier and changes their daily routine, it means they have a longer period to adjust to those hormones when young, while guys get slapped in the face with it daily before they have time to adjust. So if we make the argument that women have it worse over the entire lifespan, we’re wholly ignoring that at the start it sucks to be a guy.

Just some fun mental thoughts to throw at people too stuck on this, no?

4 Likes

Those are definitely good points to take into account. I also believe that society plays a big part in why men are even allowed to get away with their unstable behavior more than women.

1. Women are forced to control themselves or men will do it for them in a less pleasant way.

2. Men are taught entitlement from a young age and many are ignorant to the fact that they are doing anything wrong in the first place.

3 Likes

That can happen. You’re going to find if you go point by point I won’t always agree (as is common for much older women), but it’s not because it doesn’t happen.

I personally find that it’s more often a matter of talking past each other that causes the worst of the issues.

For example: this woman posted this mess without having her emotions in check before she made her stance/rant.

And we both agree she shouldn’t have done that.

But this is an iteration of “The only person responsible for your emotions is you.” Certainly when you are starting the debate, that is the case.

But we live in the age of “triggers”, “offense” etc. So we are definately living in a culture where we are making other responsible for caring for our emotions.

Which has truth, too. Am I my brother’s keeper? How far does that go?

The problem is that these are two paradigms that clash, and we’re thrusting conversations of feelings at “entitled males” (who may often be repressed) without dealing with where they are at on understanding the duality of that clash.

So, I may not be responsible for anyone’s anger, but I am certainly responsible for mine, and for deliberately setting out to enrage others.

That means that there will be some give and take, some disagreements, etc. But asking just where their responsibility towards you is at clears up a good bit.

One thing that worked well with my spouse was explaining when I had a feeling that wasn’t grounded in reason, so he could figure out that he didn’t do wrong, but that he could still do better. Which is funny because he’s the sensitive one. That also gave him an outlet to explain himself, a few times.

2 Likes

No worries, but when I said “her” and “she” I was referring to Lily Orchard, who I assume is female, although I have no idea really… ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

Trust me, she is. Lily is a woman.

1 Like

Ah! Is she famous or something? I’ve never heard of her before.

1 Like

Never mind; I just googled and found out who she is. I should’ve done that first. D’oh! (♯ᴖ.ლ)

2 Likes

She is infamous. If there were more Steven Universe fans here, they’d know about her crappy video called “Steven Universe is Garbage and Here’s Why”

3 Likes

I won’t include all of the “tips” because some I just don’t have a strong enough opinion on. Here we go.

(1) Highly disagree. Spoiling a book is just downright rude, and to tell an author that worrying about it means their book isn’t enjoyable is not the right stance by any means. Please don’t spoil the book. I say this as an author and a reader.

(2) Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Slow burn exists for a reason and it’s HIGHLY enjoyable, too. I know quite a few people who actually love romance but would prefer the couple get together at the end of the book. Some people don’t want to spent a lot of time inside of the character’s new relationship. And that’s fine.

(3) Both are good. Both are also popular for a reason.

(5) Um…some heroes genuinely cannot take a life. That is totally fine. You are not special just because you can murder a villain. And you can’t make everyone think the same way. If I had to kill to defend myself or the ones I loved, I’d do it. But not everyone can just so easily make that decision.

(7) Confused. :rofl: are we supposed to be afraid of spoilers or not?

(8) Why is 10000 the magic number?

(11) Agree. Never understood this.

(12) Also agree. Why do people do this? It’s one thing if you ARE a teenager already, but adults should not be sexualizing minors. That is not okay.

(34) I’m confused as to what this means. :rofl: do that mean just have characters with different perspectives? Because isn’t that a given of ANY story? Or are the referring to first person written books? Because if it’s about first person, then I have even more questions.

(44) Disagree. Some people like it, and some don’t. Plenty of people I know are monogamous including me. We only want one person to love. And as someone who lives vicariously through books, I read romances that I can pretend to be in. Meaning I hate love triangles that end this way. I also just hate love triangles in general because they literally never go the way I want them to.

Yes, I read through the whole thing. :rofl:

6 Likes

She was vague-posting a specific critique for Steven Universe where every episode is through Steven’s perspective, even when it would be better if it wasn’t, but you wouldn’t know that from the context.

Lily only watches kid’s cartoons.

2 Likes

So I take it she would also hate first person then. Which means I definitely don’t like her.

3 Likes

That sounded less like advice and more like a rant

3 Likes

You are not wrong

2 Likes

I highly doubt she even reads books

Which means all of her “tips” are even less valid. :rofl:

1 Like

I’m just wondering how you would use most of these.

“OK, I shouldn’t care about spoilers or haters, and my love triangle should end in polyamory…but I don’t know how to end my story…”

1 Like

Facts. You literally cannot implement all of these. And that’s totally fine. Writers can write whatever the hell they enjoy. If you like enemies to lovers or slow burn, do it. I know a ton of my books involve these tropes and I love them. I’m not going to change because someone on a Twitter thread said to. Especially someone who isn’t even a writer.

4 Likes

Honestly made me question if she even likes reading ;-; Like, I know some of the tropes can be weird, but seriously?

3 Likes