Is TikTok worth it for YA writers?

yeah!

what are you trying to put into text?

2 Likes

I have my 12-13 parts series on Watty prep, but they’re very long. plus I am digging up all my mini reviews for Wattpad books I did longer reviews for from my profile. Basically, just mini reviews, that kindda gives 50-100 words selling pitch for a book I like. I can maybe do 1st paragraph impressions too? I have no idea.

2 Likes

hm, 50 words is a lot for a tiktok. remember this is a dynamic format rather than a static one like instagram. If you’re goal is to create interest in those books specifically then try shortening it to an audience and genre and then some tropes you think people will really like.

Like,
YA Dark Fantasy
… werewolves
… enemies to lovers
… one bed

if your goal is to generate interest in your booktok try making some book rec videos, which often involve picking a common thread like “Canadian authors” or “books with badass female mcs” and then showing clips of either the books themselves or the cover.

and maybe shorten first paragraph to first line. “first lines i loved”, “first lines that gave me the ick :face_vomiting:” or even just lines from anywhere in the book.

2 Likes

I’m going to take note of this, but I suspect that a lot of the tropes in my books aren’t quite marketable on Tik Tok.

How many people are looking for a “nobody to nightmare” kind of story?

2 Likes

Gosh, in less than 50 words… I will have to work on it!

2 Likes

yeah :sweat_smile: tiktok is big on romance and spice tropes so i’d have some trouble finding my target audience too if i started marketting. Luckily i only have a booktok for fun so i can just blep out overdramatic aesthetics amongst the memery sometimes and be happy with my 10 likes

there’s definitely niches for everyone though! Rachel Watson is on there rocking the no-spice fantasy corner.

hm, more definition please, i do not know that trope

i know it’s difficult for the writer brain… so used to paragraphs :smiling_face_with_tear:

just remember… bullet points, not sentences :sneezing_face: and if you need any help, i’m chronically online (it’s my least favourite toxic trait!) and i will gladly plumb my sewer brain for more tiktok tips

2 Likes

Bad sign, indeed. You do know this one, even if you don’t know the term.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FromNobodyToNightmare

1 Like

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: huh, i like that trope a lot. i should use it some time.

you could market that on tiktok as a MC Is A Villain trope, i bet. Those and Morally Grey characters are pretty popular.

i like ur profile pic btw, it’s cute

1 Like

I felt like making a change. My next one may not be cute.

1 Like

This isn’t a marketable trope on Tik Tok either

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChandlersLaw

2 Likes

mm, no probably not that one. but maybe if you put some elbow grease in. i could see it as a funny skit if you acted out a scene that used that trope, like the dialogue in the example.

2 Likes

Ha-hah, thank you! I might take you up on it once I am going down to part-time from full-time.

2 Likes

Bookstagram or book instagram, basically talk about books, post pictures of books, ask people about the books they are reading, talk about book tropes, etc.

Well, it’s not for everyone just as TikTok isn’t for everyone. I find IG fun.

2 Likes

Btw, I have a TikTok account now. Just for indulging. I’m not going to post videos. Might never do it. Even the indulging part is draining…but I did find a really cute cat video so that’s a win, I guess XD

2 Likes

What your advice would be before opening a TikTok account to avoid as much pitfalls as possible and became immersed in the writing/Wattpad parts of it? Is it easy?

1 Like

Before starting: know the hashtags and maybe find some writers or authors that have tiktoks so you can go and follow, like, and comment to set up your For You page. I knew some hashtags, but I didn’t know anyone, so that made it a little difficult for me because I had to look for writers and booktubers with tiktok accounts.

In the beginning, the For You page is not catered to you at all. It’s just random videos that somehow know where you live. Probably depends on what account you link it to. I got all this Japan content.

I know some hashtags, so I went to look up booktok and commented on one and BOOM immediately that person’s tiktoks appear on my For You page together with the Japan content. The next thing I did was to take the advice of a booktuber—only like the content that you want to see and scroll by quickly the ones you don’t like. I heard that if you have paused on a tiktok and looked at it for the duration of it, Tiktok will keep recommending it to you until you cave.

That’s just what I heard :stuck_out_tongue:

The more I liked booktok videos and followed booktok people, the more I was recommended similar content on my For You page, and the less the Japan content appeared. Commenting on videos seems to be big. You comment and then TikTok serves you more of that person’s stuff.

So, the beginning set up wasn’t so bad especially if you’re not going to be posting anything.

3 Likes

Yeah, I will probably start with building viewing account. Because last time, I posted a video, and got banned right away

2 Likes

Banned? :open_mouth: What did you post?

2 Likes

I posted the quote from my Trapped by the Mafia. It just described a kiss without anything beyond PG13. It’s this quote below. It had been on Twitter and IG without problems. Tiktok banned me within like 1 hour after posting with zero views.

Summary

I’m shocked into silence. A stranger’s kiss shouldn’t feel like this, floating me away from reality, all ills that plague me instantly forgotten. Nothing matters but the scratching of his growing beard and chapped lips, then the deeper invasion of my own parched mouth.

2 Likes

Hmm…did you say it was a quote from your book? And with proper hashtags?

I’ve heard they can be strangely strict about things like that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes