Jotting down notes? Do you do that or no?

Does anyone jot a few notes or more for their novel project?
Like I have plenty of notebooks for that reason and I barely write in them when I do have the chance.

Yet I do get to write in them. I am very sure that most of you don’t jot down notes and keep in them in your head, because your memory is good enough (I envy you Lol!). Sometimes, it’s like that, but most of the time I NEED to jot things down and most of the time I can’t find the will to do it until I can actually do it.

Whenever you get an idea for your novel that requires you write it down on paper or even digitally, do you do that or not at all?

Just a place to jot your brain dumps/story ideas whether on paper or some tech device.

What do you use for notes or is your memory that good that you don’t even need to jot things down?

Thoughts and feelings?

4 Likes

@JojoDahlia
@alenatenjo
@Akje
@SecretDurham
@MatthewJH
@TheTigerWriter
@JohnnyTuturro
@NotARussianBot
@Xelyn_Craft
@FOLuke

The first process for me is the note taking process, it helps get my ideas in order and provide structure.

3 Likes

Cool.

How much paper do you use for jotting down notes, if you can guess?

1 Like

I need a whole notebook dedicated to it these days. But the more, the better, and make sure it is college ruled.

2 Likes

Now, you’re speaking my language. I use college spiral bound notebooks that are five or three subject.

I just write a few things here or there when I need to.
I prefer a plain notebook for school anyway, since it’s better to write it in there then some fancy journal.

So, I am better with that. :grin:

1 Like

I put my notes in Scrivener or Notion. I can’t jot down notes because I can’t read my damn handwriting lol

3 Likes

LOL! Sorry for laughing!
:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Always jot them down in a notebook (and as mentioned before “Anything at hand, toilet roll included…”). Sometimes it’s in a dream or thoughts as I’m falling to sleep (this is a sketchy thing), I often don’t jot this stuff down, and have to rely on remembering them in the morning… :confused: Not always reliable…

SD

1 Like

I totally envy people who have nothing else in their head except their books, but I’ve got a lot of other stuff in my life and if I didn’t jot things down, I’d lose those ideas forever. (♯^.^ღ)

I carry little 3x5 notepads with me everywhere, keep one by the bed, in my purse, my gym bag, in the bathroom, etc. And because I’ve been too lazy to get up at times to write down ideas in the middle of the night when I’m too tired, I bought a digital voice recorder that records with just one push of a button. So I have no excuse now for not recording every idea I get for a book. ☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

The problem is organizing them! Organizing literally hundreds of ideas for a book is such a pain…I wish someone would come up with a better way to deal with that part of it. (♯ᴖ.ლ)

1 Like

I don’t jot down anything if I’m on the go. I usually have them all cooking in my head. These days, I don’t even get ideas about my stories unless I’m in front of the computer or laptop and can actually work on the story. I do a lot of other thinking when I’m out :stuck_out_tongue:

If I have an idea while online, I might write them in a personal threads on Wacky or use Instagram stories to jot it down. I don’t publish the stories if I think it’ll be spoilery. Jotting it in Instagram stories helps me keep things simple and clear because I write it as if I’m telling my followers about this breakthrough and the limited space means I can’t go on forever.

2 Likes

Depends. In random, but I do write tons of stuff.

2 Likes

So, most of the time you’re just thinking and when you need to write them down you will, but most of the time it’s still on your mind?

Are you one of those people who have great memory? I’m so jealous! LOL!

2 Likes

I should make notes for my story / chapter ideas, but that doesn’t always happen.

However, I do usually plot out chapters with hand-written dot-points, develop those into scribbled paragraphs, and use those as guides for typing chapters.

Never use your mind as a filing cabinet, always write stuff down ~ family saying.

2 Likes

I have an unhealthy amount of notes for a lot of things :joy: My memory sucks so I’ve been doing it for years

2 Likes

That’s good. You got plenty to look back on if you need to, right?

1 Like

Yup. Lots of stuff . . . Though I have misplaced most of it so that’s a thing :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been told I have good memory, but it’s only for some things. Usually, I have to keep revisiting the thing. So, if it’s about my world, I’m often thinking about this or that, so I don’t forget things. But other stuff…

Me to my partner: “I think I saw this movie. It was pretty good.”
My partner: “Yeah, we saw that movie together.”
Me: “Really??? Are you surrrrre???”
Him: “Yeah, we went to the theater.”
Me: “We went to the theater???

Then there would be times when I remember him talking about a specific thing once and he would be super doubtful XD

2 Likes

I totally get that. LOL!

2 Likes

I absolutely have to jot it down or ill forget. Mostly because i have countless ideas. :rofl: I tend to jot them down digitally though, considering i usually have to jot them down when im out and about at work. I use my notes app.

Just a picture to show you my different notes.

And i can say whole-heartedly that every single one of these notes has notes of different stories within them (and ideas i have yet to place to a book). So… its been fun.

2 Likes