Keeping Wacky Alive! Let's Brainstorm šŸ§ 

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™m not very sure, honestly, just an idea thatā€™s being developed on the fly. There are multiple ways: Maybe people can sign up to be paired with someone, and then it works like an exchange, and we could also have an option where you can opt to change partners at each stage, somewhat like a community facilitated critique partner exchangeā€¦

Another way is that thereā€™s say five people in a group and all of them work on 4 books at a time while the other four read their books (but of course, in this method we canā€™t have an expanding pool, just new groups, because it would be too many books for one person to read), and this would be somewhat like working with a critique group. And then we could also set up workshop chats etc where each of these books gets discussed somewhat like a traditional book club, because by the end of one round, everyone has read all five books. Maybe people have an option of joining a group with just three others, based on availability. And time limits would not be strict, but definitely longer than a week long or month long exercize, because weā€™re asking people to read multiple booksā€¦

One more idea I had that Iā€™m very unsure about is that we have a new category / channel where everyone can post their query (with them being required to read and critique someone elseā€™s query first) and then other people can also go through theirs and give feedback, and the partial / fulls would be asked for if someone feels an interest or something. But with this, people might just leave it there after an intial period, so maybe this category gets wiped monthly, somewhat like the share your story threads on the old forumsā€¦ Then again, Iā€™m not sure a lot of people would request to read other partials or fulls at all, either, so this method might not work at all.

This is mostly just half baked ideas, but if it seems like it could be implemented well, Iā€™d be willing to help develop them properly.

Edit: Iā€™m not sure how half written or being writting at the moment manuscripts could fit into this, honestly. Maybe a thread of sorts where ideas / scenes are discussed and talked about, or say chapters at the most, but thereā€™s still a commitment to give feedback to someone elseā€™s work before posting yours, something like the Struggling Writerā€™s Den topic, except this is much more focused on craft based discussions or on a specific thing in a chapter. We have a channel in that discord server where we do this, so if someone wants feedback or help with a specific scene or part of an arc or something, they can post snippets from their work and we help each other with it.

Something regular for books that are being written is much harder for me to think of, because Iā€™ve had bad experiences with having a manuscript criticized when itā€™s still being written, because I tend to rewrite or lose interest in the story, so I canā€™t really see what would be best

1 Like

Places like r/PubTips on Reddit do a great job of this, but I think relatively few people on Wattpad are invested enough in the query process where explaining how to write a good query, let alone having people actually do it, will be difficult. And as you said: people lack incentives to read other peopleā€™s work simply out of kindness, and if these relationships are purely reciprocal weā€™re back where we started with the one-on-one exchanges. That might be evidence this is the best way of going about it.

A lot of Wattpad Discords have this sort of thing already and I think this works well, and is an idea we could steal given that people already post excerpts for help. Itā€™s often very difficult to give feedback on excerpts provided out of context besides addressing things like mechanics, or if sentences read awkwardlyā€”I remember once that as part of some writing game on some writing Discord long ago, I posted a few sentences of description, and immediately everyone was like ā€œwhere are your five senses?ā€ and ā€œI didnā€™t see a character and so I got bored and I hope your family dies a gruesome death,ā€ but of course most random excerpts from the middle of books will feel empty or uninteresting. Thereā€™s an upper limit on how much feedback can be offered on a work without reading said work: it takes a brave soul to diagnose from brief info about a book whatā€™s wrong with it, and a luckier soul to be accurate.

Thereā€™s a fundamental paradox inherent in all these discussions: everyone wants high-quality feedback on their work, but people want feedback in greater quantity/with greater effort than what theyā€™re able to give back, and the end result is that nobody really gets what they want. And we canā€™t force our members at gunpoint to read things they donā€™t want to read even if any program we come up with is in the best interest of Wacky Writers. This is how we recreate Animal Farm .

From what Iā€™ve seen, while there might be more ā€œdemandā€ for in-depth critique exchanges in that a lot of people think these would be very nice, what actually seems to work is broad craft discussion, maybe the occasional question specific to someoneā€™s work (e.g. I have a character whoā€™s an astronaut fighting an invasion of space gerbils, how do you think theyā€™d react toā€¦), in the sense that this is what people will actually engage in. Itā€™s a shame, and I think thereā€™s some point about the tragedy of the commons to be made. But while Iā€™m sure other people will have thoughts too, we might be setting the bar too high.

2 Likes

Right. Itā€™s always that discussion with trying to set up clubs for something like this. Thatā€™s sort of where we went wrong on the discord, too - everyone simply got too busy to read the stories, and it was starting to get exhausting for most people. So while we all wanted to keep at it and support each other, it was hard to find the time. And with bigger groups, thereā€™s also the concern of if there is interest, too.
But clubs are also working on Wattpad, and book clubs have been working for a long time. If we can find a way to strike that balance, it might be really great for the forum.

Right. This is an issue, but somehow we were able to circumvent that on the discord - couldā€™ve been the smaller size, so less people involved (we had about 10-15 active members at most, but it was always meant to be a smaller group)
And we did always ask specific questions, with the understanding that we were looking only at small snippets of someoneā€™s bigger work. This does get more difficult to implement on a larger scale, and I donā€™t really have any experience with that sort of thing.

1 Like

The conversation on this thread is awesome, but please remember to stay on topic with the task at hand - keeping Wacky alive. Wisp needs a place to feed her sandwiches! :sandwich::blush:

2 Likes

Phew okay Iā€™m waaaayyyy behind on this :joy:

Site wizard in da house! Hooray! :raised_hands: Half my job is done, then :rofl:

Thatā€™s interesting :eyes: It might be intriguing to see more of where the conversationā€™s at instead of just the title.

We clearly suck at keeping it alive and none of us are really Discord aficionados, soā€¦yeaahhhh :sweat_smile:

We might be able to get our hands on unicorns for everyoneā€¦:rofl:

A pairing service is what we could try to offer, mediate encounters between readers and writers, but anything resembling a book club of anything is not something that I think would be sustainable for the Wacky team. Sure, users can come and host their book clubs here if they want, I think the forum environment is a good place to keep track of stuff and organise, but this would be a members-generated activity, not something we could officially set up ourselves. We barely have the resources to keep the forum running as it is.

That is something we have considered and is up on our virtual WIP whiteboard lol.

Oh lol, I see what you mean now, I also thought it was a graphics error or something haha.

lmao that escalated quickly :rofl:

3 Likes

So, anyway, book clubs ā€“ great places to be, not something we can ā€œaffordā€ to build under the Wacky brand, but something weā€™d be happy to host as a platform if our members want to run them! Right now, weā€™d prefer to focus on easier to manage writerly events, which we can also work with on our socials, so stay tuned to see what weā€™re cooking up :eyes:

5 Likes

No, lol. Iā€™ll figure out whatā€™s going on with that. It should look like this:

Open:

Closed:

3 Likes

Iā€™d be willing to help host/moderate a book club in terms of the day-to-day mechanics, but for marketing other people would have to help out, and Iā€™d rather not be the only one in charge.

2 Likes

Yeah it is a huge time commitment. Iā€™d be willing to help out, but not with running the day to day mechanics of it - that gets tiring really quick!

Yay! That could also drive engagement if itā€™s two sided, like if we got those platforms to advertise us, it might bring more people.

1 Like

I need to know if, after a refresh, this is still a square. I canā€™t reproduce it.

2 Likes

Looks better now.

However, why does it ask me to look for topics? Itā€™s a working search box, btw. Just surprised what itā€™s doing here.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a new beta feature Iā€™m testing. I have to enable it forum-wide, but I mentioned it here.

2 Likes

I see.

Does the option to scroll through replies no longer exist? I see we can jump one at a time now but I quite liked being able to scroll.

Btw, when I tried to preview this message, I found no button to get back to editing the message. I had to close the whole page. Iā€™m pretty sure there used to be a button.

Iā€™m on mobile browser.

1 Like

It should still be there. :thinking: Iā€™ll have to double-check.

Itā€™s still there, I just accidentally put it in the ellipses menu. Iā€™ll move it back.

Edit: Should be back now, just refresh.

1 Like

This is my preview (for a blank message). No buttons.

Page has been refreshed because I had to kill it. Itā€™s the only way to get out of preview right now.

1 Like

Oh geez, okay. Can you do me a favor and go fill out the form on the Bug Thread? Itā€™ll just help me narrow down where to start looking with device info etc. Iā€™ll have to see if thereā€™s anything in the error logs.

1 Like

Question: what kind of Wacky blog posts would you like to read? :thinking:

1 Like

book reviews and writing tips from the mods!

3 Likes

Woohoo, weā€™ve got a fan! :joy:

We could definitely try and figure something out along those lines :thinking:

Would that be specific, question-based tips, or more general ones?

3 Likes

Hmm I think general ones would be cool, but questions would be nice, too, so the community can be more engaged and submit questions. c:

2 Likes