Kindle Vella

It looks like Kindle is dipping into serialized novel publishing.

Has anyone checked it out yet?

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GR2L4AHPMQ44HNQ7

7 Likes

It’s only for people in the States, hence nope.

2 Likes

So, basically it’s like Wattpad but everything is a Paid Story?

3 Likes

I’m going to submit a story, but it’s not done yet. I’m guessing this will be one more Amazon experiment they’ll try out for a few years and then delete, like Kindle Scout and CreateSpace and WriteOn and the customer forums, etc. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

4 Likes

I’m not in the states, but it looks really great. I know a few people who have been publishing there since it launched.

2 Likes

I associate it more with Tapas since you can schedule episode releases. Wattpad is so behind.

1 Like

If does well in the US, they’ll likely expand.

I’m guessing that it will depend on how readers react. I wonder how pricy the episodes will be.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s in beta. Once it’s through that, it’ll be global if regular KDP is anything to go by! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

By the time they expand getting a new story noticed is going to be as easy as it is on Wattpad. And, you can’t put it on the free site. So, all I can see for myself if I post there, is the story gathering dust after I jumped through the hoops of giving them my banking information. I dunno, for now I don’t believe I can write anything that people even read, so…

2 Likes

I’ve read the title like “Kinda Vella” :rofl: Like - let’s have a kind of relaxing moment- :rofl:

1 Like

Pretend 1M readers are cheering for your stories finish. I do, since it’s all I can do at times. :grin:

1 Like

Filling out your tax forms for Amazon’s self publishing services takes about 5 minutes, it’ll definitely be worth a shot if you have something that can stand on it’s own as a serial. Do you already publish through KDP? If so, you won’t need to put your details back in.

2 Likes

A tax form too? Gods, even worse. The last thing I need is to add an item to my taxes for zero earnings. No, I do not publish through Kindle. I can’t even get reads when I offer my books for free. Nobody is going to pay to read my stories.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a shame! The tax form prevents you from paying taxes, you don’t have to pay anything extra at tax season, btw. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I too wish I was able to write books that were read in millions. :sweat_smile:

Even something that sells a copy a month is better than none at all! I have 5 books out there that I don’t promote anymore, and it’s still lovely seeing royalty checks roll in for a few pennies. I’ve abandoned my pseudonym, so I don’t want/expect money for them, but still puts a smile on my face! :slight_smile:

I eagerly encourage everyone to persue publishing if it interests them!

3 Likes