Let's Talk: Your Culture

Wet wipes is a compromise that more and more people are making.

2 Likes

I use them! I feel a lot cleaner. But nothing beats water

2 Likes

Thanks! We have a big one tomorrow, the harvest festival which is supposed to mark the onset of spring and the passing of winter

Aww
What kind did you like specifically, if you know the names?

We do that here too. In fact, here, it’s considered rude to call someone older than you by their first name. You usually attach a honorary ‘sister’, ‘brother’ if they’re close to your age and ‘aunt’ / ‘uncle’ if they’re older.

Honestly, I think that’s all of us Indians lol

And most Mid - range Indian states, too. I’m from Maharashtra, and we speak our own language most of the times - Marathi.

1 Like

Yeah, overall Encanto is a great movie, characters, setting, and the concept. Though I’m a bit disappointed with the pacing near the end.

I’ve also seen Song of the Sea! It’s actually what piqued my interest with Irish folktales and legends cause that movie was totally underrated. I’ve rewatched it so many times like no one’s business. I forced my younger siblings to watch it too haha

1 Like

Same, we usually have leeway with using nicknames for our teachers because they say it’s okay but it’s always tacked on. So for example, we have a teacher who’s name is Jeremy Raymond (Last Name) they usually shorten it to Jeymar and so we call them Sir Jeymar.

I used to get culture shock when watching American movies set in schools because they casually call their teachers by their first name without adding “Sir/Ma’am/Miss”.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, we have something similar in the Philippines too when it comes to customs and practices! We have a similar practice with giving gifts. Pasalubong is a tradition of bringing gifts from their destination to people back home. It doesn’t have to be a lasting gift though, it could be just sweets and food from other countries :smiley:

We also value hospitality, so my mom would scold me whenever I ask someone if they want something to drink and they say no and I didn’t insist on offering lmao. Even then, she’d already have someone go out to buy drinks from a nearby tindahan (sari-sari store/neighborhood owned small convenience store)

We even have a weird custom that guests should always get the last piece of food when we eat together because it’s the hospitable thing to do but it just ends up being this weird limbo where NO ONE gets it lmao.

I’ve known that there are still active bombs buried from previous wars because I was a fan of history facts and stuff when I was young but I didn’t know that some countries actively looked and dig up them… which idk why that didn’t occur to me considering that the bombs are hazardous to the local environment they’re in.

1 Like

Not in my area. Everyone is Mr and Mrs last name unless they are your cousin, and then older cousins are aunt’s and uncles.

2 Likes

I’m trying to picture it but I live in a country archipelago so it’s weird to think of long distance travelling without crossing the sea or flying. And the Philippines is a way smaller country than Philippines so I can’t even imagine the distance haha~

The curse thing sounds both cool and dangerous hopefully that crashing(?) occurrence has lessened over time. Though I can’t imagine there being a time for celebrations considering Venezuela’s current status. It’s a bit difficult for me to keep up with the news but I’ve seen a few videos and news reports about the Venezuela situation.

What exactly is the celebration about? I’d love to get more information from someone who might know about it than just a objective description of it… if that makes any sense.

We eat with our hands too, though depending on the occasion and where.
We also remove shoes but some families just walk barefoot (like mine) instead of having slippers.
We have different festivals depending on your location but the biggest one that we celebrate are Sinulog Festival, Ati-Atihan Festival in my specific area, we have the Subayan Keg Subanen Festival

1 Like

It’s not as bad here in the Philippines but I do agree that on TV LGBTQ+ people are still used as a “comedy relief” on many TV Shows not even knowing that they’re using harmful stereotypes and just subtly implying homophobia and stuff along those lines.

I actually didn’t believe that this was true, because I don’t think anyone could handle being quite the entire ride, especially on longer rides (though I’ve always been a fan of this concept cause I’m not talkative and having a silent ride to my destination would have been the dream.)

I’ve actually wanted to ask but do Japanese people actually have an “obsession” with KFC? I’m referring to the whole long wait times for KFC orders during the Christmas Season or has that mellowed down or not existent at all? and also is the Christmas Season a lover’s season? I’ve read about it but I’ve never gotten the chance to ask a real Japanese person/someone living in Japan personally before.

1 Like

Yeah, this is closer to how I interact with my teachers. Might change when I graduate but I don’t really see my teachers outside of school.

From talking with my Trinidad sister-in-law, KFC gets long waits there, but not in the US.

Part of it is because their KFC is spicing things up to Trinidad standards and KFC in the US doesn’t even go up to Cajun standards.

1 Like

Now I want to visit Trinidad

Get a guide. There’s areas that aren’t safe to go, but plenty of it is safe enough.

1 Like

Gulab jamun (I had to look up the spelling.): this one was not introduced by a friend but I think some Indian restaurant had this and it was soooo goood :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: One day, I want to eat the real, real thing. I love the rosewater flavor.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had “Soan papdi” based on what wiki shows in the picture. I’ve had a lot of those square-cut little…cakes? Sweet blocks of deliciousness. I think it’s Barfi…based on wiki. Borfi or Burfi, not sure which word is correct. There’s so many different types and some have gold or silver on them.

2 Likes

OOH Gulab Jamun are amazing! Especially the homemade versions, those are pure delicacies, I prefer them over the restaurant ones.
Soan papdi is cool, too, and it comes in a lot of flavours. Personally never loved that one, but that’s only because there are things I love much more!
And burfi… where to begin… there’s a lot, like a lot of types. One of the most famous (and popular) is called kaju katli. They’re diamond shaped sweet blocks that are covered with a thin silver foil, and they taste absolutely heavenly, with or without the foil.
Personally, I love kalakand (milk cake, in english, I think?) and kharvas (milk pudding), and also ras-malai (which is like creamy balls in a special kind of milk)

2 Likes

Oh yes, the diamond ones with the foil! I remember now. Haven’t had burfi in YEARS. I’ve been calling it Indian sweets for so long, so it almost feels strange to call it by its name XD And I’m so jealous of you XD

1 Like

we do that a lot too! My dad used to go to Köln often (in Germany) and he always brought something back! So does my mom when she’s back from England.

OMG WE DO THAT TOOOOO!!!
jus that it’s rude to take the last piece and you should always ask if no one else wants.

Yeah, especially cause we do a lot of agriculture. Wouldn’t want those poor cows to find them first.

1 Like

Not sure where you’re from, but I’m in England.

ALWAYS thank service providers. Bus drivers, lollipop ladies, people in stores. We don’t cause scenes because “the customer is always right” is laughed at here, lol. The customer is RARELY right. If you don’t thank your bus driver, be prepared for little old ladies to tut at you.

Everything is smaller than the US, if that’s where you’re from. Food is smaller, houses are smaller, cars are smaller, roads are smaller… but don’t let smaller portions make you think you’ll starve, lol. Our food is actual food, and much richer than what I’ve eaten at restaurants in the USA. Our McDonalds etc is also a little pricier - but again, actual food. American McD’s tastes awfully like cardboard. The only downside to our food regulations though - we don’t have Twinkies. I need Twinkies to survive. American snacks are eugh, so good. Our chocolate is better, though.

Also on the whole food thing… not everything is filled with sugar, so if you’re from the US, you may miss it. Sweet bread makes me vomit - why are you putting sugar in bread?!

Drinking is a pretty big part of UK culture. I got a crate of my fave booze on my 18th birthday, lol. Going out on the sesh is also absolutely fine. I’m sober now for the most part, but having a pint of your fav lager or a G+T with your lunch? Totally acceptable. I’ve spent more mornings sat in the Wetherspoons having a cheeky drink than I care to mention.

Drugs. In the UK, drugs are obviously looked down on… but everyone knows at least one person who’s done a lot of drugs, and that’s just whatever. Not the hard stuff, but a lot of people have recreationally taken at least something. Depending on what country you’re in, this might be a major culture shock if you come to England.

Please don’t make small talk with people in the streets. This rule can, and should, be broken if your bus or train is late (pretty common) so you can have a mutual moan, or if the weather is a bit warm or a bit cold (again so we can moan together). Other than that - please don’t make eye contact, especially with our timid Londoners, they scare easily.

2 Likes

Lagniappe: lan-yap: the act of giving something a little extra.

Americans are in the habit of souvenir buying during special trips for loved ones. No name for it. Closest thing for Cajuns is a term that’s used for extra food on the plate, extra small gifts that weren’t necessary, more service than is required, etc.

2 Likes

Super interesting to see everyone’s culture and everything here!

I’ve been really wanting to add but I’m from Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick specifically) and I feel like everything here is so bland that I don’t have anything to say

To quote a locally made, indie comedy series I love “New Brunswick is the dullest most boring place in all of Canada … But that’s what makes it special!”

3 Likes