Let's Talk: Your Culture

I’m from two different countries so I have two cultures to talk about :rofl:

I’ll start with Indonesia first since I was born and raised there.

First, the currency. Our prices are in the thousands of Rupiahs. No, it’s not because they’re expensive, but our currency basically has a ton of zeroes.

To illustrate, the cheapest thing you can buy is some no-brand candy for Rp 1000. Sounds like a lot? Well it’s not because it’s just a single coin. We have coins in the hundreds of Rupiahs, like Rp 500 and Rp 200, but they’re worthless. Even poor people will curse you if you give them coins :rofl: a pack of Indomie instant noodles is Rp 2000 here. No, it’s not expensive. It’s literally 14 cents (in USD). You Americans pay $2 for the exact same thing (which is why I brought back a ton of instant noodles to the US lol).

My mom has heard stories from taxi drivers here, when they pick up foreigners, they would always demand exact change to the hundreds of Rupiahs. Especially the white people. Meanwhile for us even if there’s Rp 2000 left as change we would just let the taxi driver have it because we know it’s not a lot.

So if you’re having dinner for five in a nice mall in Jakarta and you see the bill’s about Rp 1000000, don’t panic. That’s normal :rofl:

The mosques’ speakers. Over here, mosques have loudspeakers. When it’s time for the Muslims to go to the mosque to pray, they would do azan (call the people to pray) using the loudspeakers. It’s loud. And it happens five times a day: at about 3 a.m., 12 noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m., and about 8 p.m. if I remember correctly. I could be wrong but I remember staying up for 21 hours in a day regularly and to the point that I even kept track of when the mosques would sound. And here’s the thing: if you live in an area with multiple mosques nearby, they don’t do it all at the exact same time, so one mosque might start the azan later (and hence end later) than the other.

I didn’t really feel it before the pandemic because we’d mostly be outside at school or in a mall, and mosques are usually in residential areas. However, during the pandemic, when we were at home 100% of the time, I could really hear how frequently they sounded.

That’s why I find other countries quiet in comparison :rofl:

Eating with one hand. Some countries eat with both hands, and then you have countries like mine, where people eat with one hand: their right. There are also other countries that also eat with just the right hand, because it’s the “clean” hand. My dad’s from the Philippines and he says that he finds it “skillful” how Indonesians can eat with just one hand. Meanwhile I’m like “I just like keeping one hand clean so that I can pick other stuff up without having to wash my hands first” :joy:

Speaking of hands, giving and receiving with the right hand. The left hand is considered rude, so when you give something (like money) you use your right hand, not your left.

I’m not sure how much of a culture shock this is, but bidets. No, we don’t have those fancy bidets that the Japanese have, but bidets to properly wash your private parts are super commonplace here. I know other countries have bidets but a lot of countries I’ve been to don’t have bidets, including where I am right now, so maybe this can be considered a culture shock :joy:

Oh I can’t believe I forgot this, but lesehan! Basically in some Indonesian restaurants, you don’t eat at a table with chairs. Instead the table would sometimes be in some sort of open hut structure, not sure how to describe it, with a low table and some flat cushions, and you’d sit cross-legged at the table and eat there. Not all restaurants have it, but just the big ones with outdoor seating. And yes, you take your shoes off before you sit.

And this may or may not be a culture shock, but maybe being in a country that’s 90% Muslim can be a culture shock in itself if you weren’t in one. You can really see the influence the religion has in my country :joy: but we’re not strict about it. In fact, you can say that we don’t really “care.” Even if it’s fasting month, in the big cities at least, there will still be restaurants open during the day. Eating while walking will earn you some glares but they won’t go after you or anything. You can even be Muslim and eat pork and eat during fasting month and people will just give you glances at most, but they won’t say anything. It’s like, we’re religious, but at the same time we don’t care if people aren’t, if that makes sense? Oh and you do see a lot of women here wearing hijab, but you also see a ton of people that don’t. And burqas are virtually nonexistent here.

As for the Philippines, my other culture, I can’t really say as much because I don’t live there even though I go back there every year. Hmmm. One thing that I did find a bit of a culture shock was free water in food courts. Back where I am, drinking water from a tap and free drinking water in general is just a concept. The only places in my country with free drinking water I can think of are the drinking fountains in the newest terminal of our capital city’s airport. Other than that, we just buy drinking water.

Another thing that I considered a culture shock when I got to the Philippines is the use of slippers inside the house. I personally prefer to go barefoot, but whenever I go back to my family in the Philippines, we always put on either shoes or slippers inside the house. No going barefoot. Maybe it’s not like that in other houses, but I’ve always found it weird why they don’t go barefoot there.

I’m trying to think of more. Uh, despedida? It’s like this you know when a relative’s coming home from a far away country, and before they go back, we’d hold a despedida dinner for them. A farewell dinner, I think.

That’s all I can think of. I may or may not be back with more :joy: don’t hesitate to ask me anything! :blush:

2 Likes

I know someone who lives in Indonesia and she likes how cheap she can get pork rinds, at least in her area. Pork rinds aren’t really trendy in the US, but people eat them.

1 Like

Stuff in my country is really cheap in general, compared to most other places (especially the US). You just need to get past the zeroes and then you’ll realize it’s not that expensive.

Except for housing. Housing prices are insane here :ragejoy:

1 Like

Oh yeah I’m aware of Marathi! Most states have their own languages :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah, it’s one of the things I love about our country :heart:

1 Like

We still make them in our area–the really thick kind called Cracklins, as well as the regular ones (though lightly dusted with Cajun spices). They are frequently eaten here.

But then, it wasn’t that long ago that Boucheries were common (family gatherings for pig kills). You needed to process the meat pretty quick, although we do try to wait for colder days: just the cold don’t last, so the pig must be processed.

Hog’s head cheese, blood boudin, sausage, grind to cut deer sausage when we get a deer, preparing bait for crabs, pickled pig’s feet, Jambalaya, smoking the Boston Butt, curing a ham, salting jowels and bacon…so many things to prepare and cook.

1 Like

I can tell you that she’d probably love to visit just for the pork rinds.

They eat pig’s feet in Spain, too, but I don’t know anyone North of Kentucky who’d eat most of that stuff, especially if it’s spicy.

1 Like

oh yeah we have roti and curry

a lot

we uh

eat that in new jersey especially at my grandmas house

1 Like

I never see it at ACME, though. Is there a specialty store for it?

1 Like

we just go to asian supermarkets or an international food bazaar

1 Like

God bless international food bazars and asian supermarkets! It was the only place we could find banana leaves!

1 Like

no literally they’re the only supermarkets i go to nowadays :pray:

1 Like

If they are put in front of me, I eat it, but I really only eat pork out of convenience.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.