Lunch break at work?! (POLLS)

For the Wacky Writers who have jobs outside of their home, what do you normally do for lunch break? How long are your lunch breaks normally?

Which of these options do you do more often than others?

• I travel to a nearby restaurant to eat.
  • I pack lunch at home, it’s normally leftovers from dinner.
  • I eat the food that is served at my job.
  • I make my lunch, but it’s not leftovers.
  • People are kind enough to buy me lunch sometimes.
0 voters

Choose wisely!

NOTE: If you have to choose more than one, the vote for one of the options and then in the comments state the second option. This is for if you do two options every now and then.

@JohnnyTuturro
@AMMeyers
@alenatenjo
@Akje
@JojoDahlia
@MatthewJH
@J.L.O
@DollyTH
@NotARussianBot

Thoughts and feelings?
(I forgot to add that. LOL!)

This pertains to your current job and your recent job, if you still remember it.

1 Like

I barely eat lunch at work ever :eyes:. It’s rare I remember to because it’s nonstop working for me usually.

1 Like

You don’t even get breaks for a few minutes?
What do you do for work, I wonder?

1 Like

I’m supposed to take a break, but most of us don’t. We usually remember once everyone leaves and all our stomachs are growling to remind us xD.

1 Like

And your job is?

1 Like

Well on record it’s 30 minutes lol. But realistically it’s 40 - 50ish minutes with a comfort/ smoke break and depending on what I’m doing for lunch. I bring my own lunch mostly, but sometimes I go to a cafe with a friend or an unofficial “lunch meeting” with a colleague pops up.

2 Likes

Education. Mental health.

1 Like

So, after the customers leave, that’s when you can eat?
By that time, is it time to head home?

1 Like

Students, not customers, haha. We’re supposed to take lunch, but things can stay busy for a long time and we forget. We usually scarf down food in the 20 mins between the end of the day and our end of the day.

1 Like

Oh!

1 Like

And now I know! LOL!

1 Like

I think that the jobs that get hour or hour and a half hour lunch break are corporate jobs, right?

1 Like

Not sure. All I know is that here in the UK employers are legally required to give workers a minimum of 20 minutes break for a six hour work day. It could be more depending on the employer I suppose.

I get 30 minutes officially. And I don’t get paid for the time taken on lunch breaks.

1 Like

That’s interesting to know.

I have to apologize for that because I just forgotten that you live in the UK.
My mistake. I asked that question with my American brain.

So, I am sorry for that.

1 Like

There’s different answers. :sweat_smile:

I get an hour lunch and what I do will vary on my mood and abilities.

I often make my own food at home, usually something small and simple. Sometimes it’s leftovers. Other times, I get fast food. And then there are times I skip eating all together.

I used to eat lunch at work sometimes, but it’s not often because I usually take care of my sister’s dogs since she hardly takes lunches or hardly comes home on her lunches.

People at my work don’t meet up or bring lunches. The only food is snacks—sometimes, someone will bring in something they bought or made for everyone to share.

The only times I’ve actually had lunch with other coworkers or had lunch that was from work was if there was a training day (which used to happen once a year with the old boss who “resigned” a few months after I was hired) and if there was some kind of program that had food and there was extras. This sometimes happens with companies who use our spaces and had leftover pizza or Jimmy John’s.

1 Like

I think corporate jobs get an hour, too? But there are other types not related to corporate that get an hour lunch such as some non-profits, etc.

The worst ones are the ones that don’t have breaks. When I used to work at a hotel, I didn’t get a lunch break or a break at all. You were expected to be on desk the whole eight hours. Of course, during my shift, it was quieter so it wasn’t that bad and I could estimate when to eat breakfast before people started coming down for check out or whatnot.

1 Like

To hell with that shit! I could never!
Fuck no!

:fearful:

1 Like

Yup…

It’s mostly because it was one person per shift, so you couldn’t really catch a break. And when they had two people on desk (which barely was ever because the owners/corporate didn’t want to pay more for more hands) it was because it was busy and you couldn’t deal with the phones and reservations and dealing with guests all at once.

From my knowledge, people only took breaks when they had a chance.

The housekeepers though, they had a break. I think it was 30 minutes? I’m unsure. They had a small “kitchen” in the laundry room (it was a sink, cupboards, and a fridge) with chairs and a small table you could barely eat on because it was always covered in towels/sheets/etc. There was a clock on the wall with their time of lunch or who was taking shifts.

1 Like

I actually got to take my lunch today. Sure it was over the span of two hours while still working XD, but the point is food entered my stomach lol. This thread was a good reminder xD.

1 Like