Making content for instagram? (AuthorGram)

I have an author instagram for my writing and fantasy book. However I seriously struggle with continuously putting out content. I have no idea what to post and how to make larger amounts of it to schedule.

I’ve tried looking at other’s pages but they post a ton of published book cover photos and I don’t have that. I’m not even finished with my book yet. I want to grow some hype. Some kind of fan base or community who will engage with my book later on when I can share bits.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been able to run a social account with any kind of popularity. It’s really hard. I need help. Especially from social media savvy people.

4 Likes

I can’t remember if I’ve posted this before or not, but in case you’ve never seen it, maybe it’ll help…? There might be others on YouTube with similar videos, but I didn’t do a search, so you might try that too.

3 Likes

When I started doing Instagram (I’m not on it much anymore), I did a lot of various things that helped me get to the 300+ followers I have. These might help:

1. Books you’re reading.

While you do want to post things about your own book, you don’t want your whole profile to be everything about your books. This is because a lot of people will begin to view your profile as nothing more than self-advertisements. Which, of course, we’re all trying to do anyway, but in order to find readers, one of the best things to do is to push yourself closer into the reader space.

There is a lot of drama going on between authors and readers, but a part of this is coming from authors yelling at readers for not liking their own books. So, a lot of people are like, “authors shouldn’t be a part of the reader space.” In some circumstances, yes. This is true. But if you’re not critiquing books, bashing people, then it’s harmless to talk about your current reads and growing TBR list. Especially when some of these books are within the same genre as you’re writing.

I’ve done posts where I took a picture of a chapter I’m on with the current bookmark I was using. The one I’m mostly referring to has 10 likes on it.

1. Your current writing/reading space.

You can do an aesthetic post where you have everything set up and take a quick picture, or have an interesting background to a book you’re reading. I’ve got pictures of my writing desk, or what I post on SnapChat these days is my computer on the current scene I’m on with my TV in the background with some ambience on YouTube (fireplace, library, coffeeshop, etc.) or at a local cafe. And it also goes with reading as well, like I have a picture on Instagram where it shows a Stephen King novel in the sand at the beach, and the ocean is in the background. It has fifteen likes.

But pictures or videos of you writing, your writing space, etc. can also help. I have a picture of me trying to write in my car on a road trip (I was in the backseat) and the photo is just of my computer/keyboard and my fingers. It has twenty-two likes.

1. Something that’s inspiring.

Whether it was your work, a scene, a character, or something, you can take a picture of it and talk about how it inspired it. Like I had a picture (I can’t seem to find it anymore, not sure why) where it was a cabin and it made me think of a story I was writing at the time (murder mystery) and it inspired me to write something and so, I talked about that in the caption. But you could do that with anything, really.

1. Goals you’ve met or other types of acheivements.

Word count goals, going on the next draft, setting a release date, anything and everything—if you met a goal of some kind, personal, professional or otherwise, you can use that as a post.

I have a post where I took a picture of my computer (camera looking down) on the epilogue, and I captioned that the first draft was finally finished. It has twenty-five likes.

1. A snippet of a scene.

You can screenshot or take a photo of your journal/computer and post a snippet of your story. I have quite a few of these on mine, but there’s one where I was in the middle of writing and it was a death scene, and I captioned it that I was trying to make it gross and disturbing. It has twenty-three likes.

1. Bonus: anything else you can think of.

Some people don’t want to post things about their personal life and just keep it completely related to their work, and while you obviously don’t have to, it can help to post other things outside of reading and writing because you can reach a broader audience that way. You do get to decide what to post and what direction you want your profile to go in, so you can do whatever you like.

But this is something I’ve noticed (and done myself) with other authors across social media. They will post things about their own personal life because their profiles are more than just their work. Like, I’ve seen Victoria Aveyard post things like outfit of the day and an interview she had that day or where she went on book tour. Alexa Donne has posted stuff of her cruise. Things like that.

4 Likes

Oh yeah! Alicia’s got a good idea: you could look up what your favorite writers do on their own Instagrams and that might give you some good ideas. Also, you could do like some writers I’ve seen who make their IG look like a mood board, where every post is color coordinated, some with images and some with quotes from your book. I’m sure you’ve seen profiles like that…? If not, here’s a poor man’s version I came up with a few years ago:

https://akje.dreamwidth.org/39800.html

1 Like

I haven’t invested a lot of time in my instagram yet. It’s something I always want to do but end up not having the time for.

Some things I’ve put up there:

• My artwork. When I have art I feel proud of.
  • Announcements. New book, new goal, or a challenge I join.
  • Reposts from Threads. I’ve been active on Threads lately and a couple of times when I created a punchy post, I shared it to Instagram. It’s not 100% usable for all types of reposts though since it gets cut off. Thinking about it, I think it might be worth to take some of my Threads content and create graphics with… I should do that. Let me get on that.
  • Trailers, video teasers. I make those on Canva.

One of the authors I follow creates these little games that require interaction. It’s a pretty cool trick to get engagement. Check out her profile for what I mean.

But lately I put a video on YouTube shorts and immediately got views and interactions, and I’m wondering if I should start cross-posting everything.

2 Likes

Maybe these will give you some more inspiration…? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

These are all really good ideas. It’s pretty hard to keep up so I’ve been doing online scheduling.

1 Like