Medication shortages in America for...ADHD???

A shortage of ADHD medications, mainly Adderall or pills like it.

I am on a non-stimulant and to be very frank, NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!

I’m reading how people are struggling because I no longer have their Adderall and I couldn’t even get it to notice the different.

I am on a medication that is a non-stimulant and on a high dosage and that isn’t doing ANYTHING for me.

I still feel the same and I’ve taken it for weeks to a month.

Can someone explain to me why this is even happening in the first place?

What is the real cause of this happening? I need real and good answers.

I swear America is the most retard country in the whole damn world!

Thoughts and feelings?

NOTE: I may not be crying or having breakdowns like I used to, but that doesn’t change the fact that I am still the same and it is like nothing is happening. There’s no clear difference.

It’s like I am back to square one with this thing. I really need something stronger and to do the job, because what I have is NOT working for me.

I am scared all over again and I don’t like it.

2 Likes

I hear that there are some rich people using Adderall to lose weight. Likely causing some of the supply chain issues.

2 Likes

Where did you hear that?
I heard that the pandemic is caused of the Adderall shortage.

Is it really that we are hearing different things because nobody can spot the truth?

1 Like

It could also just be because a lot of people use it illegally. Illegal adderall is bad for people.

2 Likes

That figures…

1 Like

Anyone else?

So when you say shortages, you mean that when you go to the drug store to pick up your prescription they just tell you they’re out of it? Argh. Can you call your doctor and get a prescription for something else? There seems to be several different drugs to choose from now:

2 Likes

Yeah. People who’ve been taking Adderall for a while can’t get any depending on the location or any other medication.

Yes, you can, it just depends on the person and what works and what doesn’t. Some people can do Adderall, others can, and I have never taken any yet.

Adderall is a stimulant drug while the medication I am on is a non-stimulant.

I read somewhere that my medication that I am taking now works best with a stimulant ADHD medication.

Adderall is a stimulant. I can’t get that in this problematic country.

So, I am taking a nonstimulant that is either taking way too long to do what it needs to or doing nothing regardless.

1 Like

This is why you pull up the FDA’s website:

" On October 12, 2022, FDA posted a shortage of the immediate release formulation of amphetamine mixed salts, commonly referred to by the brand name Adderall or Adderall IR, on our drug shortage website. FDA is in frequent communication with all manufacturers of amphetamine mixed salts, and one of those companies, Teva, is experiencing ongoing intermittent manufacturing delays. Other manufacturers continue to produce amphetamine mixed salts, but there is not sufficient supply to continue to meet U.S. market demand through those producers."

And so this website has more:

“Reasons listed for these supply issues include an unprecedented increase in demand for amphetamine mixed salts, as well as a shortage of active ingredients to manufacture the drug.2 For several manufacturers, the shortages are expected to be resolved by April 2023.2”

For example, I’m an adult that wont seek medicine. If I did, I’d be part of the reason there’s a supply chain issue because its primarily a DEMAND issue, and an ingredient issue.

3 Likes

So, you take no medication and you are fair? Do you seek therapy?
What are your coping skills like?

I dont get upset by my condition…whixh is why I wouldn’t get labeled any bells and whistles on top of ADHD. When you can function with the dysfunctional, you’re less likely to seek help.

3 Likes

Interesting outlook.
I wish I had that in me.

:confused:

Medication oftentimes takes a month or longer for it to actually start showing an impact in your behavior. Sometimes it begins sooner, but oftentimes the effects of it won’t start making a difference until a bit into treatment.

If you feel they’re not working, I’d talk to whoever your prescriber is and express these concerns, they will have more insight onto the matter.

2 Likes

Adderall is a heavily abused medication, lots of college students will take it to help them stay up/focus and the market for it is in high demand. (Edit: It’s also considered a ‘rich people’ type of drug due to its expense and the expensive process of getting diagnosed with ADHD as an adult.) Though I’m not sure if they’re the reason for the shortage, the amount of people taking Adderall who’re not suffering from ADHD and abusing medications are certainly not helping.

4 Likes

Wow, that is rather disappointing.

So, I have to contact my psychiatrist to figure out if there is something else to take.

Before that I need to get something else done.

3 Likes

For sure contact your psychiatrist, they will know if the medication not working is a result of it needing more time or if it’s not suited to you. For sure communicate with them before taking any measures, though! I quit cold turkey once without consulting my psychiatrist first and she was upset, warning me of the potential dangers. Luckily nothing bad happened, but the fact it could have was scary.

Finding the right medication/dosage is a lengthy process for a lot of people, so I empathize with what you’re going through right now. It’s tough, and I hope it gets sorted for you soon

3 Likes

Thanks so much.
I appreciate it.

1 Like

No problem! Hope everything works out :heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.