Mid character help?

How do I write a character that’s not got the strongest personality or the most quirks and keep the story interesting without being too plot heavy? I hate having to rely on “the plot” for situations like this.

3 Likes

If you put them in enough situations that show off their unique traits, you won’t have to worry about anything!

2 Likes

Give him an interesting internal conflict. It could be something quiet and ordinary, but something everyone can relate to. Doesn’t have to be spectacular or unusual. (*^-‘) 乃

2 Likes

Is Max unique enough?

Like what?

2 Likes

He certainly stands out amongst other trans characters I’ve read about.

1 Like

I meant his personality.

1 Like

He isn’t the craziest or boldest but I think he is intersting because he is so grounded.

1 Like

Yeah but what else makes him interesting aside from being normie, grounded Max?

1 Like

The people around him and his versatility.

1 Like

Maybe these will help:

Or these:

My personal favorite is some issue the character has that makes it almost impossible to do his job when other people are depending on him. For instance, it wouldn’t matter so much that a shark was attacking a seaside resort if the only person who can save the day didn’t have a terrible phobia about water. But he does…

ʕʘ.ʘʔ

1 Like

Thank you. I am checking this out.

2 Likes

Maybe an interesting side-character? I’ve often noticed that main characters are not the most interesting person in the story. They are simply a guide for the reader. In the case of Sherlock Holmes, we get John Watson. We, the readers, are sympathetic to John and we like him, but where the “hook” and “interest” sparks is in his friend, Sherlock Holmes, an essentric indivual who is endlessly facinating. Most importantly, its his relationship with John that keeps the readers hooked.

Now, Sherlock Holmes isn’t the only example of this. We also get Piper, in Orange is the New Black. A relatively normal character who acts as a guide for the audience to thereinby introduce far more interesting and facinating characters along the way.

We have Monster, with Doctor Tenma, whom the audience latches onto and instantly love. But you are moreso hooked by his goals, his dynamic with the antagonist, but also the extremely interesting side characters that appear during Tenma’s journey. Tenma himself isnt overall interesting, he is simply loveable and sympathetic.

So maybe what you could do is introduce an interesting side-character who has a good dynamic with the MC, and to perhaps make the MC likable to the audience. Side-characters can also do wonders for moving plots forward, for challing the MC.

Edit: please excuse any errors, typing on mobile lmao.

3 Likes

There’s Julio, and Max. Julio is like the opposite of Max, but complimentary. Julio is the chaos to Max’s normieness. But I think their dynamic works well because they are heading towards a common goal. But have different ways of getting there, to help out the other.

1 Like

That’s really good! Maybe you can kind of lean on that, put it more into the focus? I mean, one of the most interesting things about a story is often not an individual character but the relationships they form along the way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s also true. Maybe, I can. Julio almost lives with Max, he’s around at his Mama’s place so much. Max lives with her. Maybe they can develop that aspect?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.