Name a popular media with a huge fan base, that is NO LONGER talked about these days!

Follow this list and you are good:

1. Any media from television shows, novels, video games, cartoons, films, anime, comics, manga, plays, etc.

2. The media’s popularity and fanbase has to be in-between 1990 to 2019. Just won’t accept anything after 2019, sorry.

3. It is no longer talked about because anything made for it has long stopped and the fans have just moved onto something else and no longer mention anything about it like they did in the past.

4. Regardless of the huge fanbase and popularity, the media has NOT aged well as the fans originally thought.

5. Nothing is being made anymore for it these days. Once it ended, the fanbase just died and people moved onto other things worthy of the time consumption. Along with the fact that anything made from the media that no longer serves a purpose would be like milking an old cow for milk that is long past dried.

Thoughts and feelings?

3 Likes

My Turn:

Not gonna lie, over a decade ago, when I was even MORE into anime than now. I would watch a certain little anime series with the most TOXIC fanbase of female yaoi shippers. It was a pure estrogen brigade for a show not really aimed for females in the first place. There were males in the fanbase, but it was so few that they barely even existed in the first place. There were WAY MORE yaoi fans there and shippers that were insane and quite disturbing. That wasn’t even the worst part, there was SO MANY AMVs, Memes, and random things for this show. The fan base was SUPER divided in many ways, but other ways that always came together.

The historical inaccuracies weren’t helping either.

Which anime show am I mentioning? The anime Hetalia: Axis Powers.

shudders And to think I was a Hetalian back then…
I am so glad I moved on from that. And NOBODY even talks about that anime, not even in terms of things to get people into watching and enjoying.

Thank goodness for that.

3 Likes

Disney’s Gargoyles…

Loved the show, loved how layered and intricate and well researched it was… hated how they bombed the Goliath Chronicles and left it off so poorly.

I know it continued on through comics and fandoms… but despite a desire to see it resurrected and the original run restored to its original first run glory, it’s faded into obscurity…

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, I remember this show!

Total nostalgia!

1 Like

Me too and I was already an adult when it came on the scene… and I’m picky about what kinds of cartoons I watch.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was a little kid when I watched it.

1 Like

The Anime Fandom is full of series like this. With a lot of anime I like, it’s like they are their own little bubble of a community that outsiders don’t pay attention to, if they even know exist.
Getter Robo has this really bad, kids these days don’t know that there are series as equally as horrifying as Evangelion because the genre’s glory days are far behind them.
Dragonball has an entire ecosystem online that exists semi-autonomously from the anime community because of its popularity, but people who aren’t in that ecosystem seem to treat the series with distain for one reason or another. The girl counterpart to this is Sailor Moon, very beloved and popular but not often discussed outside of its own fandom.

2 Likes

That is very true.

The anime fandom is an entire city with a bunch of districts, some large and some small, but in the end they are all within an entire city.

Some districts are long abandoned and nobody plans to go back since there’s no longer anything happening anymore.

2 Likes

Speaking of anime, remember Bleach? It used to be huge, and even got the live action musical treatment. Then it just totally disappeared. (♯^.^ღ)

3 Likes

Then it came back two three years ago to finish up the final arc.

2 Likes

Did it? I never heard that, but I believe you. ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ

2 Likes

Bleach is like the Black Sheep of the Shouen Jump Franchises. A lot of people complain about how repetitive it got after a while, like it was the same arc on repeat over and over again and again.

2 Likes

When I tell people that my favorite mangaka is Nobuyuki Fukumoto I have to explain how niche his work is. First, you need to appreciate the hideousness of the art and the stories he tells. Most people don’t make it past this step.

1 Like

Yes.
Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War.

2 Likes

It’s also funny how the Naruto fan base utterly hates Boruto and everything revolving around it.

I mean at least in the earlier days, I don’t know about now though.

2 Likes

Yeah, aesthetically his work is one of those things people don’t want to look at.

Quick Question: How good are you with handling manga that is dark/very psychological/morbid in thinking terms? There’s bloody gore on a physical level and then there’s brain gore on a mental level.

How does that resonate with you?

1 Like

There are some manga that are so excessively bloody that it loses all impact. But there are some gorey manga that never stop being shocking. So I don’t know.

1 Like

No bloodshed, more like mindfucks and mental screw-ups.

1 Like

Nothing you can reccomend me will be in the same vein of insanity as the final battle in Akagi. My God.

1 Like

Interesting.

Well, I tried. :sweat_smile:

1 Like