New Features and Site Changelog

2021-03-29T04:00:00Z
New functionality (currently in beta testing, based on server load):

“POST BADGE FLAIR”

You can now use up to THREE badges to “decorate” your username on your posts. Go to:

Profile picture menu>Preferences>Profile

Scroll until you get to “Featured Badges”

Choose what badges you want to display.

How do you like this feature?

0 voters

(1 is HATE IT, 5 is LOVE IT)

2 Likes

2021-04-18T03:37:00Z
Testing Discord integration window (bottom right).

You may be required to authorize the widget to access your Discord account (so you can post inside the widget window from the forum directly).

2021-04-18T15:01:00Z

DISABLED UNTIL I CAN UPDATE CORS Access-Control-Allow-Origin POLICY

2 Likes

2021-04-18T04:05:00Z
New theme alert!

“Rainbow” now available in your preferences!

4 Likes

2021-04-20T02:07:00Z

Wisp can time sprints now (or anything, really).

Use command @wisp sprint x minutes where ‘x’ is a number (ie. 5, 10, 15, etc). She’ll give you a three-second head start and then post again when the time is up.

8 Likes

2022-06-11T17:02:00Z

• Gave discobot a facelift: meet @willow!

• Added real-time chat feature (CURRENTLY IN BETA). Certain topics will have chat enabled for real-time conversation. You can also PM with other users.

• Added “category experts” functionality for users who are particularly helpful in a certain area (these expert designations are currently pending appropriate category selection, so you won’t see the option to “endorse” anyone as an expert quite yet).

• Gamified user interactions (you’ll start seeing “points” accumulating on your profile for actions you make around the forum!) See what your rank is on the leaderboard! Points aren’t retroactive (yet) but will hopefully be updated to show users’ points since the forum’s creation. This has been updated.

3 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @willow display help.

2 Likes

2023-02-21T08:39:00Z

Finally, finally I can happily announce that the FOLLOW FEATURE is working and active again. It’s been broken for a year and a half.

You can follow and be followed, and see a feed of the posts by people you’re connected with.

4 Likes

2023-02-28T22:00:00Z

Added option for animated avatars.

NOTE: This functionality WILL honor any browsers’ “prefers-reduced-motion” settings. Animations will be disabled entirely for those of you who prefer not to see animations on your screen.
:dancing_pineapple:

Added donation bar widgets.

You’ll see them around.

Added "Jump" functionality for long topics.

This allows you to jump to the beginning of the topic if you need to.

"Anonymous" categories (Pending).

I am tentatively considering an “always anonymous” category for things like “Anonymous Confessions” or vents etc. This is not yet enabled, but if/when it goes live, any “anonymous” posts will still be subject to the Code of Conduct and those that violate those rules will be deleted (yes, it would be anonymous to us too).

Contact Staff (in lieu of flagging)

We know sometimes it feels SUPER public and scary to flag a post (cuz everyone can see it). Now, we have another option for you. Instead of the flag, hit the broken heart icon. This will open up a message with the appropriate information we need to help you that goes straight to the moderators. There is no highlighted icon, no notification to the other user: it’s just a shortcut to message us. This will allow users who might feel uncomfortable “flagging” a post to still bring it to our attention if y’all think something is problematic.

Beta Themes

But it’s not the themes themselves that are beta. Curious about what I’m doing behind the scenes? The Dark BETA and Light BETA themes are where I test new functionality before it goes live for everybody. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. STUFF BREAKS IN THEM. A LOT. But if you want to see new features occasionally before they go live, you can use this theme and sometimes see me messing with stuff.

Other random things...

Stuff that I have to “bug test” but is likely coming soon:
“Previous/Next” Topics. If you post a thread and have a related topic, you can put that here for easier navigation. This isn’t tested yet so use at your own risk. The functionality is very much like…chapters. :wink:

A few more things I can’t talk about yet. :upside_down_face:

Less than awesome news...

The current emoji "reaction" functionality is going away in lieu of Discourse's "official" simplified version. I'm keeping this one going as long as I possibly can, but it will inevitably break due to some eventual Discourse update.
7 Likes

And yes… the sidebar is back. You can modify what you see there with these preferences in your account:

5 Likes

2023-03-03T06:00:00Z

I really dislike the sidebar on the left of the forum (on desktop), so Light Beta and Dark Beta have moved it to the right, if you’d prefer that layout. I’m working on finding a way to make it an option you can turn on and off regardless of theme, but if you want a different layout, set the Light or Dark beta theme as your defaults.

See next post on how to enable this.

5 Likes

2023-03-05T04:32:00Z

I have managed to add a preference you can select to add the sidebar to the right on ANY theme of your choosing.

To turn this on, go to your Profile Preferences:

And scroll down (past the Twitter/Instagram fields):

And check the box. You will have to refresh the forum for this to take effect.

This is only available on desktop devices (since mobile screens are too small for this to matter). If you have issues, please put them in the Bug Thread.

1 Like