New story title?

I’ve been wondering about changing my novel’s title.

The novel I’ve been working on for the last several years is a YA sci-fi fantasy about a seventeen year old soldier who wants revenge as a magical being murdered his family. The two genres clash with sirens, dragons, clones, advanced technology, futuristic settings, and more. And for the longest time, I’ve only ever seen it titled as the Sorceress because it’s primarily about the villain—Viknora, a being from another planet who was experimented on, given powers, and escaped from captivity and is now on the hunt to find her captors and destroy them with her own army called the Victorians.

But I’ve come to the point where maybe the Sorceress isn’t the greatest title? I still love it. I’m attached to it. But does it really… capture you? It’s kind of weird, too, since I’m usually good with creating and sticking with the titles I come up with. :joy:

I’ve thought of some others that might be better suited, but I still don’t know if either of them are good enough. :sweat_smile: What do you think?

• The Sorceress
  • A Quest of Hate and Sorrow
  • A Sorcery of Vengeance
  • The Wicked
0 voters
2 Likes

The second option sounds similar to my second story project’s title.

:laughing:

2 Likes

Wait, what, really? :rofl: What’s yours? Hahaha

And ah, A Sorcery of Vengeance does have a ring to it… doesn’t it? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A Quest of Bullets and Shields.

2 Likes

Holy mother of lanta… that is really close. :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly! LOL!

1 Like

That’s so weird. xD It was something I came up with earlier today because as I’m trying to think of a new title option, my thought process was like: “I can do something that’s popular such as A Blank of Blank and Blank… but what could it be…? Well, he goes on a ‘mission’ which can be seen as a ‘quest’ of sorts… so A Quest… of what and what? He hates these beings, and he’s still grieving his family so… Hate and Sorrow? A Quest of Hate and Sorrow? Hm… sounds decent.” :rofl:

1 Like

My title is still in progress. I only went with that title as something temporary until something else comes up. I just didn’t wan to be fussing around with choosing a title for the first draft.

So, that title is only there till something better comes along. My story isn’t YA though. For my story it is Adult Science-Fantasy.

Still, that is pretty funny. It’s like we’re on the same wavelength or something. LOL!

1 Like

A _____ of ______ and ______ became a very popular formula after A Court of Thorns and Roses happened, maybe that’s why? :eyes:

3 Likes

I know, but that title is only temporary.

A Song of Ice and Fire is another example. LOL!

1 Like

The Sorceress:- A quest of Hate and Sorrow. Does sound more conveying in what it is about, for me that is…

Though I did indeed vote for A Quest of Hate and Shadow, it should be a secondary title for that which is indeed The Sorceress.

Additionally, The Quest rather than A Quest could also work well…

I will leave it up to you…

SD

1 Like

Definitely understand. :wink: Sometimes, it’s the best thing to do.

Dang. Besides the age category, ours is still so similiar. :exploding_head:

I bet!! :rofl:

Oh, I don’t doubt it. A Song of Ice and Fire came out in 1996, but the title formula didn’t catch on until recently, which is roughly like ACOTAR… back in 2015 when it came out. Now, you see that formula everywhere. xD

That could definitely work. I just didn’t want the title to be long like Harry Potter. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for voting/ideas!

I’ve had this poll-type thing elsewhere, and it’s split between the Sorceress still and A Sorcery of Vengeance. :grimacing: :rofl: I do like ASOV as a title, so… that could be the new one? :wink:

well, it works :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, I see what you mean…

SD

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.