Not Teaching Writing In Schools?! - Is The Author Going Extinct?! 🐘

Elementary, middle, or high? :eyes: Because the disparity I see in elementary is scary.

2 Likes

High. But the amount of people starting year 7 who struggle with hand writing is disturbing. I mean, what do these people plan to do when technology stops working and we get sent back to pen and paper?

3 Likes

It’s scary!!!

2 Likes

It really is

2 Likes

From the looks of that, I would have a hard time reading American cursive :grimacing: Some letters are really quite different from what I learned in school.

1 Like

Ooo, can you share pics? I’m curious now!

1 Like

Here you go

1 Like

That looks more like how I personally write cursive, but not exactly. I learned the way I posted and changed it to fit my style more.

1 Like

My personal style has also changed over time but comparing “officials”…Yeah, I’m a little lost :rofl:

1 Like

:joy: fun how that stuff happens haha

1 Like

I don’t think authors will become a thing of the past—we’re constantly evolving as people and writing as been a part of history for thousands of years. It may look different in some aspects, like the Egyptians used pictures instead of words, and the way our languages have evolved and differed. No one these days speaks like Romeo and Juliet, and no one writes like it either. But that was the late 1500s, over 500 years ago. Even as technology advanced, people still wrote.

As for my thoughts on places taking it away, I think that is completely ludicrous considering it’s a part of our culture. Not just as Americans—no, of course not—but as people. Like I said, it’s been around for centuries, and taking it away makes you lose a part of that culture. Plus, you won’t be able to know how to read and you won’t be able to grow up as adults to get a job that requires you to read and write.

Then again, the US is going SO downhill it’s not surprising. With Tennessee taking away the right to wear drag and for kids not seeing that in public, Florida emptying their schools’ libraries, and Texas’s Don’t Say Gay bill (which also includes representing LGBT+ in books and history)… it’s all gotten to a point where you wish you could just move to the moon and then bomb the planet for all its stupidity.

My little sister is sixteen and she grew up with a learning disability where it took her until middle school (about 11-13ish) to actually know how to read and write (well). She’s gotten a lot better over the years, though she is still improving. Her handwriting and cursive is actually way better than mine. :rofl: She didn’t learn cursive, however, in school. She taught herself—she’s big into drawing/writing in her bible (there’s a specific type where you can use it for notes and drawings) and she would look up pictures and calligrapher examples to imitate them.

3 Likes

One of my cousins is in a similar boat and he’s more advanced (writing-wise) than some of the other students I know without learning challenges.

This part is sad because it’s true. And we’re not the only ones, but seeing as this is the only experience I have I’m like dang.

3 Likes

It’s interesting how it’s a universal constant to always say the younger generations are getting worse, lmao. I think they’re just evolving with the change of an increasingly unique world. Skills we learned at that age become less relevant as time progresses; I remember spending so many hours in primary learning cursive because people were so insistent on it, only to never need it.

I don’t think kids are more illiterate nowadays due to technology. In fact they’re more aware and eloquent than people double my age. Some of the people I’ve held the best conversations with have been 13.

4 Likes

Cursive is taught in the 2nd grade in our county. So is teaching time on a hand clock.

2 Likes

But… legal forms! (At least learning your name is important, I think XD)

I don’t think it’s solely technology’s fault, but the fact that it seems quite a few places are dropping the basics (what letters look like, how to spell, phonics - letter sounds). When kids are asking how to spell their own names that’s when I get concerned.

3 Likes

Omg so many kids don’t know clock time! Analog! I have my phone in military time and nosy kids are always asking what time it is, haha. We learned how to read a clock in kindergarten when I was a kid.

1 Like

Oh yea that’s definitely concerning. Here it’s definitely partly due to budget cuts; there’s been a war on the young forever.

2 Likes

I work in a title one school and it gets like $30 mil a year (I just found out the budget at the meeting last week - the way my jaw dropped because where is that money going?!)

2 Likes

Dont wanna sound like a conspiracy theorist here but oh my gosh can we just say the dumbing down of america is upon us. Heaven forbid we be literate to think for ourselves and communicate in multiple ways.

Like i know the world is progressing but…learning to read and write is kind of essential. To everything. Not everywhere you go will be solely reliant on technology. I use writing in my everyday life. At work, to write addresses on packages, etc.

Isnt the whole point of school to educate you, set you up for the future, and help you find what you like in a career? And schools not teaching writing would completely deplete the entire point of going to school. Im thankful that i learned what i did when it comes to english and writing. It comes in handy as an author, the career i chose while i was going to school. I cant even imagine not knowing how to write.

2 Likes

I only left secondary in 2017, so I suppose it was fairly recent; in my case, the entire budget went to administration—literally promoting a ton of people to senior roles while teachers remained underpaid and having to buy supplies for their own classes. There was an exodus of the entire English department, and a lot of my time was spent with unqualified teachers. They cared more about what colour the annotations were and our uniforms. I dropped out at 17 and just schooled myself instead. I got better grades.

Different country, but there’s so much corruption in systems it’s insane, ngl. So much spent on vanity projects while core, fundamental issues went unaddressed.

3 Likes