Not Teaching Writing In Schools?! - Is The Author Going Extinct?! 🐘

I was recently made aware that some states in the U.S.A. no longer teach writing. I knew that cursive wasn’t taught much anymore (and neither was phonics, but that’s at least having a comeback).

To make a long story short, I find this nuts! I know fifth graders who are so used to clicking options on their computers (because a lot of testing is online now) that they don’t know how to spell their own last names on forms…

Anywho, thoughts? Do any of you have young kids or siblings? Do they know how to write their letters? Do they know cursive or script? Do they know their phonics sounds? Is writing slowly dying? Will authors become a thing of the past?! :sparkles:cue mental spiraling :sparkles:

Like, these used to be the best homework! How are they not a thing anymore?!

4 Likes

I don’t have any kids, so I didn’t know this. I wonder what they are learning in school these days, if they’re not allowed to read books anymore because of book bans and now they’re not allowed to write either? ☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

2 Likes

My kids write so I don’t know a out that, but then the schools are almost dead last and they reach writing, so who the heck knows.

2 Likes

It literally only came to my attention because I’m living in a different state now than the one I grew up in. Where I grew up we learned phonics and did sheets like the ones above. There was a kindergartener I met recently and after some convo with her mom and the teacher it was brought to the vice principal’s attention that penmanship was no longer a part of the curriculum. The kindergartners are beginning to learn phonics again, but only after not having it in the school system for like 8 years…

2 Likes

Do they know cursive? I know I learned in fourth grade because I had a teacher who made us learn and only accepted our work if it was in cursive. That’s how I learned how to sign my name on legal documents. When kids see my writing now (because I solely write in cursive) they act like it’s alien writing and try to decipher the letters lol.

1 Like

I did writing in school, and my handwriting still makes a doctor’s look like fancy calligraphy lol. But it did help me learn to spell a lot better, and pronounce words.

2 Likes

Spelling is atrocious now too and I want to put that up to phonics having slipped through the cracks.

2 Likes

Yep. I think that kids, even though they’re a LOT more technologically literate than Millenials, and even some early Gen Z folks, some of them are almost illiterate in normal reading/writing tasks, which is sad. Both areas need to be worked on, still, even in the technological age.

They still need to spell their name, fill out forms etc.

And yeah, my class used to have spelling bees and I usually won, or got to the last round but once I didn’t wanna be a super nerd so I threw it and I let the other person win :joy: I don’t regratte it, to be honest… :flushed:

3 Likes

Lol, I remember being in my spelling bee to represent my class and think I got out on the third word XD. But I still remember coyote being the word that got me into the spelling bee against Abner Savaria XD. I learned how to spell words a lot through keeping subtitles on the tv. XD

2 Likes

Yes, that’s another way, subtitles. Subtitles are so underrated as a learning tool. A lot of people over here sadly think of them as just a tool for the hard of hearing to use. Coyote could be tricky for a kid if they spell it as they sound it though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

but it doesn’t sound how it looks, haha. I like subtitles even now because I just like to know that I heard what was said right XD

1 Like

I know it’s like Coy-oh-tee (or Cow-oh-tee/ Coy-oat depeding on how you pronounce it). Yes, same LOL.

1 Like

everyone I know says “kai” not “coy”

1 Like

I say coy, but that’s how I was raised to say it.

1 Like

:wolf:

1 Like

That would normally be 4th grade. My oldest is in 1st, so I may have to teach it myself. Dunno

1 Like

So maybe your state is smart and keeping those things. I hope!

I think it’s been off and on for years. My MIL taught 4th grade. So, some years she didn’t teach it, some years she did.

1 Like

Ahhh

Everything is on the computer these days so a lot of people think you don’t need to learn how to write. Especially in America because it’s currently a special little snowflake.

I’m actually an english teacher. A lot of people here can still write perfectly fine but you can always tell who is more used to writing and who is more used to typing.

1 Like