Question for you all.

Question: If I am only writing the zero draft first, does it have to be in novel format as oppose to play format?

I ask this because I am really conflicted on writing in novel format for my zero draft rather than play format. It is so stupid because it is just the roughest part of the rough draft and it is purely up to me and me only.

I get conflicted and overwhelmed on whether or not I should do one or the other.

It is beyond stupid that I am feeling to make this thread.
Pardon me!

1 Like

It’s really bad because I am four pages in chapter 0/prologue at 1,906 words. And I know it’s like “continue writing in novel format”, but it isn’t working with me right now and I grossly loathe it!

Yet, if I write in play format, I will feel like it is lacking even if it is a Zero Draft.

What the hell is wrong with me? I can not decide!

1 Like

Then the killer is if I write it in play format, then once I am done, I have to edit it and rewrite it all in novel format.

OH MY GOD!!! Yet having it in novel format even if it is a zero draft is driving me crazy! I don’t understand why this isn’t making me happy as I thought it would.

The novel is fine-ish far as zero drafts go and can use a lot of work, but it isn’t growing on me writing that way.

It is only a zero draft and it is really bothering me.

1 Like

if you think switching to play format would help then go ahead.

it might be difficult to edit into novel format later but it will be more difficult to edit if you have nothing written at all. Besides, maybe you’ll like it better in play format anyways, maybe you’ll write a play instead.

4 Likes

And there lies the problem. I don’t want to do it or I have to be up for doing it.

2 Likes

There are people in this world who spin the paper as they draw. It’s all about finding what works best for you.

1 Like

do you want to tell the story?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Even if it is bs’ing most of it and fixing it later.

2 Likes

If your main intention is to write in novel format, you can write in screenplay format to just let it out of you, but the editing and or rewriting will be a lot more complicated. However, you don’t have to write a novel if that’s not what you want. You can just write the screenplay for your story to keep it simple.

The thing is, though, is that you need to decide what is best for you based on how easy or hard you want it to be on yourself. If your intention is to write a novel, the easiest way to do that is keep it in novel format. But if you don’t want to spend the time with adding the internal and external details (thoughts, feelings, actions, reactions, scenery, etc.) despite it being the roughest draft ever, you don’t have to do all of that. You can write it however you see fit, but when it’s time to make it a novel format, the editing and rewriting will be ten times harder.

I know of people who don’t even write the details. It’s just the dialogue. Like literally, what the characters say. No dialogue tags, no action tags, no scenery, nothing. Their zero drafts are just them nailing down scenes by their dialogue sequences, wanting to know each conversation based on the scene, and figuring out their voices. You can do that, too, if you wish. But again, if your intention is to write a novel, just think about all the backtracking you have to do to add in all those little details. Some people may feel overwhelmed by it, but some people may not mind it because at least the spine of the story was created.

2 Likes

Yeah, right now, me and complications don’t get along. LOL!

then start with getting the zero draft finished and worry about everything else after.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what format I use in the end, huh?

1 Like

nope

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Screw this!

I am going with novel format.

I can’t keep thinking about this. :sweat_smile:

Play format is going to be strictly for short stories only (when in zero draft) NOT novels.

2 Likes