Refining Your Sci-fi and Fantasy Works | Developmental Editing for Aspiring Authors

Hello everyone!

My name is Breyonna Jordan, and I am the owner of Editing Your Works, LLC. As a developmental editor, my aim is always to help you put your best work forward, improve your writing skills, and gain a deeper understanding of the craft. I work on a broad scope, analyzing the effectiveness of your usage of literacy elements as it pertains to your theme and audience.

Because I specialize in critiquing sci-fi and fantasy works, my edits often include an emphasis in world-building, as well as:

-plot
-character development
-POV
-setting
-pacing
-plausibility
-scene necessity
-and so much more!

logo snipped5

These edits generally include some combination of editorial queries and a revision letter.

The queries are formatted as comments made using Microsoft Word’s Track Changes or Google Doc’s Suggesting Mode. They are filled with detailed suggestions, explanations, and possible solutions to developmental problems identified within the text.

The revision letter is either a Word doc or Google doc (depending on your preference). It contains overall feedback and major concerns and provides a useful tool to reference while editing. The letter is intended to be a larger, more general overview than the editorial queries.

You can see my typical prices here. These prices are for the standard 80,000-word novel and are subject to change. I calculate final prices only after seeing the full manuscript to ensure that I can provide you with the best offer without devaluing my servic

For members of this forum only, I am also offering a 5% discount. Simply mention the forum when reaching out, and I’ll apply after I’ve estimated the final project cost.

For more information about both me and the services I offer, you can visit my website at editingyourworlds.com.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any more questions! I’d be happy to answer them to th best of my ability.

Happy editing!

victor quote no background

6 Likes

Do you have testimonials/work samples/examples of published books you helped edit? :smiley:

3 Likes

Do you have education, a degree, experience in publishing, previous works published successfully after your editing…your website gives no background

5 Likes

Hi, sorry for the late reply! None of the books I have worked on have been published as of yet, however, you can find testimonials on the Editing Your Worlds Facebook page. Likewise, I have collected a few sample revision letters and offer free 1,000-word samples for those interested in Advanced Editorial Assessments or Full Developmental Edits.

While I can’t attest to a formal education editing, I have completed all the courses in Club Ed’s “Essentials of Developmental Editing.” Likewise, I have read numerous books on the subject of storytelling and editing, including “Worldbuilding for Writers,” “Save the Cat! Writes a Novel,” “An Editor’s Guide to Working With Authors,” “The Revising Writer’s Guide to Developmental Editing,” “Outlining Your Novel,” and more. I am well-versed in various plot structures, types of infodumping, the different ways “Show vs Tell” is applied/misused, character archetypes, and a vast array of other relevant information. More importantly, I know a variety of different developmental problems, how they connect to one another, and what kinds of solutions will be effective.

Can you list the authors for World Building, Editors Guide, and Revising? I’ve read the others you’ve listed but not those and I want to check them out.

Have you gotten into Sol Stein, John Truby at all? Or Gardner for theory? Or Zinsser? I also really love Lawrence Block and Ben Bova for sci fi.

HC Harrington, Barbara Sjoholm, and Kate Johnston respectively.

No, I haven’t read these authors yet but thank you for the recommendations. I’ll start with Ben Bova and Lawerence Block and work my way back after I finish Shawn Coyne’s “The Story Grid.”

Do you have any other recommendations? I’ve read plenty from KM Weiland, James Scott Bell, and Louise Harnby, but I’m always looking to expand my knowledge and grow as an editor.

I don’t like K M Weiland’s stuff that much. It’s very good for a beginner creating writing class but like Save the Cat it doesn’t leave much room for characters to develop on their own. I like John Truby’s Anatomy of Story best for organic plotting and storytelling theory, Sin and Syntax by Constance Hale for prose and Spunk and Bite by Plotnik. Hooked by Les Edgerton for opening chapters and thematic principle. Julia Cameron for theory and lifestyle. And self editing for fiction writers by David King for self editing. On Writing and Worldbuilding by Tim Hickson for fantasy and sci fi along with Brandon Sandersons YouTube lectures. And then Sol Stein’s How to Grow a Novel and On Writing. Lawrence Block Telling Lies for Fun and Profit is a classic. And for emotional craft I like Ackerman and Puglisi’s thesaurus series although they can be too much of a crutch at times. I don’t recommend Donald Mass’s work despite what people say he is too opinionated but doesn’t present his work as if he is. Sol Stein is the best for emotional craft. The thesauruses are nice resources if you’re stuck on a beat.

I agree with KM Weiland. Her style is incredibly structured. I’ve watched some of Brandon Sanderson. I’ll see about playing some his stuff throughout the day and purchasing some of these books. Thank you so much!