šŸ“š Self-Assessment: Writing Crushes šŸ¤“

I have a few free seconds, so Iā€™m going to take advantage of them! Sometimes when I read books I canā€™t help but make connections to other authors or popular books. With that saidā€¦

Take a second and self-assess who your writing crushes are.

1. Who are the authors you look up to? Why?

2. Who are authors that inspire you/your work? Which work(s) of theirā€™s moves you?

9 Likes

This is a strange one because my favorites are a mangaka (manga artists) and webtoon creators.

In terms of novels, I donā€™t really have any, but I can appreciate authors like George RR Martin, Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie, and other authors along those lines.

Like I love the manga One Piece and the webtoon Tower of God and those stories are inspirations for my new story idea.

So, I donā€™t have any authors that I truly look up to in a respectful way, but in a way, I can greatly admire the worldbuilding and stories that those authors Iā€™ve listed above created.

Just something worth sharing.

3 Likes

Honestly, no idea :stuck_out_tongue: I donā€™t have author idols.

In terms of inspirational authors and their works that inspired me
Shannon Hale: The Goose Girl
Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials

But the works didnā€™t move me.
Do you mean ā€œmoveā€ as in ā€œget teary-eyedā€ or have the feels? I do have some books that did that to me but not really inspired me.

4 Likes

Fair :joy:

Moves can mean emotion or inspire or whatever you want it to mean :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Manga artists! Webtoon has some really awesome books, not gonna lie

Tower of God has been on my to read list forever but I havenā€™t started and I donā€™t know what happened but I canā€™t get back into one piece after knowing it never ended as a teen xD

4 Likes

Maruyama and Fukumoto.

They are great with characterization, engaging plots, and maintaining high levels of tension. Both of them also show the uglier side of humanity.

2 Likes

In no particular order my faves are:

Madeline Miller
Susanna Clarke
Emily St. John Mandel
Ottessa Moshfegh
Donna Tartt

And I suddenly realize I need to read more men. (ā™Æ^.^įƒ¦)

Most of these authors only have a few books published, and Iā€™ve read and loved them all. For Mandel, I never read her early work, but I loved her last three books: Station Eleven, Sea of Tranquility, and The Glass Hotel. Iā€™ve only read two of Moshfeghā€™s: Eileen, and A Year of Rest and Relaxation, but Iā€™ve got Lapvona on my Kindle right now if I could just get around to reading it. (ā™Æį“–.įƒš)

2 Likes

For Tower of God, if you do decide to read it, just a heads up the artwork is a bit bad in the beginning and yet as the series progresses the artwork become SOO DAMN GOOD AND WAY TOLERTABLE!!!

2 Likes

Answerā€™s the same for both question. Andy McDermott and Matthew Reily are my all-time favs. Both are action-thriller authorā€™s Iā€™ve been reading since I was a pre-teen. Huge fan. Love the works. They both have amazing characters, amazing plots, use a lot of history and mythology like I do. Honestly, their works gave me the confidence to give writing a go myself :joy:

3 Likes

If you donā€™t mind I am making this one answer:

This awesome author called Churro! Creator of the Churroverse! Writes amazing characters. Have a massive crush on that insufferable pastry :wink: Nah, kidding, or am I? I appreciate @NotARussianBot 's unique outlook on characters and plots and @J.L.O 's ability to add some pizzazz to tropes.

And as for published authors, I like James Sallis. He adds action and character development to his stories without it being dull. (Yes, Drive was a novel and the movie is based on that). I like Don Winslow as well for a similar reason. They inspire me because of those things as well.

4 Likes

Compliment of compliments, there.

4 Likes

:wink: And I donā€™t compliment muchā€¦

4 Likes

okay then.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini was the easiest five star Iā€™ve given any book. Inferno by Dan Brown was an awesome book, too, although the history bits did drag a little bit.

3 Likes

Darkness, nice :eyes:

I like how this brought realization xD. Sounds like you gravitate to lots of women. I guess they tend to write things you really like?

Ooo, Iā€™ll def keep that in mind!

Awww, thatā€™s sweet! Thatā€™s something I feel like Iā€™d read in an authorā€™s dedication :purple_heart:.

I never knew it was a book! Thatā€™s interesting! Was the book better received than the movie?

I was waiting for someone to say themselves :joy::joy::joy:.

You said inferno and it made me think of that really old classic book that the title is now escaping meā€¦ I woke up about 5 mins ago letā€™s blame that lol.

5 Likes

You mean Danteā€™s Inferno? That book was a trip! Come to think of it, a trip to Hell. ā˜œ(Ė†ā–æĖ†c)

3 Likes

Knee-slapper! XD But like, I actually laughed xD.

2 Likes

To be quite honest, it changes all the time, depending on what Iā€™m reading. A while ago, it was Richard Morgan. Now Iā€™ve recently finished the City Blues quartet by Ray Celestin and his dedication to historical research and weaving complex plots has been honestly inspiring.

Also my go-to comfort reading is anything by Elly Griffiths, but my favourite of hers is the Brighton mysteries historical crime series. Itā€™s easy reading, but catchy, and really entertaining character development. I like that her characters have unlikable traits or reactions that they work through. This is something Iā€™ve also noticed in the Raven & Fisher series by Ambrose Parry. So Iā€™m hoping that I can do better with my character development :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

People honestly seem to like both for different reasons.

And you knew who it was gonna be :wink:

3 Likes

sounds like youā€™ve been inspired!!!

ooo, nice

i did XD i couldve placed a bet lol

4 Likes

Just in general, the tenacity to continue writing somwthing, even in adversity is a strong community thing. Thatā€™s basically everyone thatā€™s in here. I donā€™t fangirl, but its definitely admirable.

1 Like

:clap:t6: Eloquent! :clap:t6:

1 Like