Share the first paragraph / first line from your story to procrastinate with me

In the world building, the bad memories, because they impact deep into the heart, affect the character stronger than the good memories. Bad memories are linked to flaws (or what you think are your flaws). So, you remember bad memories more because they’re stronger, and that’s why you’re so hard on yourself.

So, it got me thinking that gee, I wonder if every time I think about a flaw of myself, it’s actually linked to some bad memory that I can’t quite remember because it was so long ago. Subconsciously, what if I’m still affected? :eyes: What if we all are? And you can’t escape memories.

Eeee :grimacing:

Thoughts on this? :stuck_out_tongue: Bad memories linked to flaws was just supposed to be part of the world building, but ended up getting kind of philosophical and quite real XD

I love the idea, too. I need to do more of it.

Yes! I once watched this documentary about memory and how looking at photographs can actually alter our memories :eyes: Makes me wonder how memories work for the blind if it’s so visual for us.

Well, it sounds spooky and magical at the same time, and I’m intrigued :wink:

Okay :stuck_out_tongue: Editing me arrives to the scene. All what I say are suggestions, so take it with a grain of salt.

But first, let me say that I LOVE snow scenes. And stories that begin with the beautiful, snowfall silence. When it snows where I live, I always like to watch and listen to the quiet and be awestruck at the beauty of the world turning to grayscale.

Favorite part is the last sentence because not only does it focus in on the silence of snowfall, but I feel like it hints to a contrast coming up. Some chaos or drama or something about to happen to break the calm.

Now, the feedback.

My feedback to you

Idk if these ways of starting sentences is wrong, but I’ve done them and been told that it sounds like the snow crunching under heavy black boots is happening separate from Elya stepping outside. Doesn’t sound like it was her doing it.

Elya steps outside the palace gates. Snow crunches under her heavy black boots. She gazes up into the blank white sky and tugs on a pair of thick black leather gloves.

Something like that?

Idk if trickling is right for snow. Trickling sounds like water droplets.

Sounds like the snow already fell to the ground. I think you can do without “to the ground” in this sentence, and it’s obvious, anyway, because from context, I can guess Elya is standing on ground. I tend to do this, too. Characters standing in a clearing and I say, “rain falling on the ground” :stuck_out_tongue: Unless it’s falling on something other than what is obvious then you don’t need to mention it.

But it’s snowing, right? Not exactly still, perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue: I think you can cut “and still” from the sentence. Also,

I like the description of the padded room :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: But saying it’s small makes it hard to see what you’re seeing. I was imagining a vast open space, not a small area. And the world being small sounds like it doesn’t match. Maybe the since it is Elya’s POV, she’s been in ballroom? Do they have those in palaces? Could she equate the world to a padded ballroom where snow flurries dance?

The opening of a rough draft. Short story. Work in progress.

The opening

I am not sure why I am writing this. I’ve never had a particular need to write anything besides obligatory school essays. Neither have I ever been interested in literature. So why did I create this account and publish the story? I couldn’t care less about opinion you will want to type out after your eyes fly over the last dot. To me, you are just a little icon, a chain of letters and interpunction symbols. And this website is merely a place to fully use the power of my anonymity: no calculating, no manipulating with masks, no fake everyday gestures and no worries of my “sin” being discovered.

2 Likes

Ahh thank you!! I really enjoy rhymes.

Me too! I live in Colorado so we get tons of snow constantly. It’s my absolute favorite setting. Originally, the story took place in a coast vibe (so no snow) but I feel changing the setting really improved my intended tone of isolation and entrapment.

I’m glad that was translated well!

That sounds much smoother, thank you. I have a problem with chopping up sentences. They’re either really short, or really long, which is something I need to work on as it effects tone.

Hmm, I see what you mean, especially since it’s mid-winter. It is only a light snowfall, but I can see how it sounds like rain.

This is good advice, thank you.

Thought a lot about this, and I changed my mind, the ballroom idea is brilliant. Before I thought that it wasn’t a fit description for the character (who usually is on guard duty when balls are in session), but upon further thought I realize it would reflect the direction of her feelings and hints better at the main conflict. Do you mind if I take your advice and use it?

Thank you so much for your feedback, it helps a lot!!!

Edit: and thanks for being kind I’m usually a bit of a delicate flower when it comes to feedback.

2 Likes

Ah oops. Then again, this is still a first draft, and I’m working on the suspense aspect

1 Like

I like that

1 Like

yo thanks, that’s really nice of you

1 Like

Here’s the first line from a short story I wrote for a creative writing class. I’ll probably rewrite this though, in first person and as a novelette :sweat_smile:

Though Michael believed in angels, he never thought he would meet one in the flesh.

3 Likes

Fair questions xD I meant the wound/blood. I’ll certainly have to reword that and possibly just remove that sentence later. Thank you for pointing it out <3

I’m glad my feedback helped :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That is so awesome to hear! :smile: And sure, go right ahead :blush:

You’re welcome :blush: I do be careful when giving feedback because I know what it’s like to be on the other end, getting feedback on precious story parts. Btw, I wanted to add that I love the name Elya. It’s so beautiful. Good luck on your story :grin:

Ahhh, that’s hard to write. “But maybe family could” sounded like the end, because it read as a positive. Suspense…idk if it’s always negative, but maybe you could try something…

“That was one wound time could never heal. Could family? But she never trusted family. She never trusted anyone.”

Not saying you have to use this. Besides, I don’t know your story, so I just made it up. But suspense might be something like this?

This part, this conflict intrigues me, so maybe play into that part a little more? Maybe that could be part of the suspense element?

Just some thoughts. Take it with a grain of salt :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I put a lot of meaning in names, mostly for my own enjoyment. And good luck with yours as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am so half tempted to misspell everything in that sentence…

For every extreme there are infinite in-betweens.
-Boole, the hat madder, Knome philosopher

3 Likes

I did a story where I addressed the audience like this, so I’ll try to dip into the pool of knowledge I gathered why doing this. I think you have a good start, and reason out the character’s reasons for addressing the audience well, but there’s some things that need a little polishing (it is a rough draft, so I get that).

The first paragraph is very long, and I feel could be split to make a more concise flow of storytelling.

My advice

So, a main character addressing the audience is somewhat hard to pull off. Mostly because the main character has full control and awareness of the narration.

One thing I’ve learned from studying this, and reading different books in this format, is that whoever the narrator is addressing is overall important to the narrator on some scale or level. If the character doesn’t know why they’ve chosen the reader as the recipient of their story, then there’s no real appeal nor realistic quality to the storytelling, if that makes sense.

In Perks of Being a Wallflower, where Charlie writes letters to a “Friend”. Although we, the readers, are the recipients for his letters–the person Charlie is writing to an unnamed person he views as kind, someone he thinks will understand his struggles and not judge him. Essentially, he’s looking for a friend. Now, this is important when considering the tone for the rest of the story, as, through each letter, Charlie talks to you and speaks to you in the way a friend would. Recalling details, making jokes, listing out his favorite things, wondering about the person he’s writing to. It becomes clear, especially later on, how much writing these letters mean to Charlie.

In “Between the World and me” the author is a father who grew up black in America and the challenges and struggles he faced when concerning racial discrimination, cultural pressure, and various other issues. The father writing the letters (or essays) are all addressed to his son. When considering this, the tone of the letters can be seen differently. It’s not a friend writing to a friend, but a father to a child, so a lot of what he’s saying has to be viewed through that lens to fully understand the weight of what he’s saying but also the context in which he’s saying it.

These are just two examples, but it’s important to consider who your audience is, how your character views that audience, and what kind of relationship/tone you’re aiming for between the reader and the main character. “Because it’s anonymous”, has appeal, but it’s not enough to explain why they didn’t just write it in some private online journal to lock away and keep private.

In making it so your main character is hostile towards the audience, you’re effectively setting up a hostile relationship with YOUR audience, which won’t entice people to read. It doesn’t make your character sound sympathetic, but more angst ridden and ‘against the man’. These aren’t bad traits but making them the highlight of your character in the first paragraph makes it a little non-personable. Which is what you don’t want, especially if you’re characters’ going to be telling a personal story they (assumedly) can’t share with anyone else. Setting up some kind of personable connection with the reader is pretty important. It’s like considering your readers a character, almost.

TL;DR: Try to view your readers as a character in your story. If you built up a more personable connection to the audience from the main character, I feel the appeal of reading it, and rooting for the main character would significantly improve the story overall.

2 Likes

First of all, your informative feedback is really helpful! I appreciate it.

To add few things which cannot be explained by just the opening.

My original intention was to make the narrator sound arrogant, cold and unlikeable from the very start as a kind of an eyebrow raiser.

However, after your explanation, which I think makes sense, I will consider showing off those traits later as the story goes on and rewrite the opening in a different way without losing the anonymity appeal.

About the ‘why not keep it private’, and that ‘something inside’ which ‘impels’ the author to publish, originally I thought of making it an organic process, since I imagined this as a sort of online public diary. First off, the author genuinely isn’t sure why. But in the endgame of story, after the ‘sin’ gets revealed, it would become clear in the author’s mind.

Would it be better, in your estimation, if the reason was fully fleshed out right at the start?

The rest of feedback makes perfect sense and, once again, thanks. :smile:

First off, no problem! I had a hard time with writing in this format and also had an unlikable character, so I know the struggle, haha.

Now, to answer your question, I’m unsure if you should reveal the fully fleshed reason right from the start. Especially since the revelation of this sin sounds like it’s linked to your climax.

However, I also feel if you’re going to be revealing why she’s doing this at the end of the story, then she needs some kind of reason behind why she’s doing this (or why she thinks she’s doing this) beyond “I don’t know”. Otherwise, she has no motivation to write this story nor continue updating her diary.

People write in dairies because it helps record information but also helps them understand what they’re feeling. By writing out their raw and unfiltered thoughts, they’re able to walk away feeling lighter, having unloaded these problems and perhaps even come to some conclusions why writing.

Now, making these raw and vulnerable feelings public (even if you’re anonymous, which could easily be destroyed) is a bold move. Some people do it because they want their story to be heard. Some people wish to relate and understand. Some may even do it to satiate a bit of loneliness in their lives. Now consider why she wants to make her feelings public. That’s a pretty scary thing to do. Understanding why she chooses to make this public could help establish a connection between she and her readers.

You don’t necessarily need to reveal these motivations right away. “I don’t know” is perfectly acceptable for the beginning, however, it’s not going to be a good enough motivation to carry you through the rest of the story. This motivation could be as simple as, “I don’t want to forget (what happened) so I’m recording it down. By letting other people (the public) also read and see this story, I can assure that it’s never forgotten.”

Basically, setting up a ‘no turning back’ moment for your character. An established motivation for them to continue writing. Maybe they don’t want this particular story to be forgotten. Maybe it helps them think. Maybe the audience’s replies to them fuel their need for validation.

I laughed.

No, wait! Let me explain myself XD

I laughed because in the story I’m editing, I also have a character called Michael (fifteen and lost in an Egypt-inspired country) and he’s going to meet his angellic (another name for “angel” in my world) toward the end of the book XD The coincidence tickled me. Unlike your Michael, mine is not sure if he believes in angels.

How old is your Michael?

1 Like

What a coincidence! My Michael is college-aged so I’d say early 20s, or maybe very late teens. I haven’t decided yet :joy:

1 Like