Share your character names and how you came up with them.

Pronunciation-wise? It’s ma-lee-ka, so like kit

I love the name Pandora too! Asteria is also a gorgeous name on your list. I’m excited to check out your underwater princess book once you get it all completed :smiley:

Atlas - Named him after my mom’s dog, but the Greek mythology theme also worked lol!

Korain - I found this name on a name list somewhere. Supposedly it means Luminous. However, whenever I look it up to find the source and origin again, Google auto searches for “Korean” instead and it drives me nuts!

Glance - I have no idea where I got the name Glance from, but I love it enough to share it xD

Dizzee - I wanted a character named Addison to have a nickname, and a nickname that didn’t start with A, because at that point all of my characters had an A name. So, I found a nickname generator site, where you can put the original name in and it gives you like 20 nicknames to choose from. Dizzee was so fitting for this character so I knabbed it.

And this one’s cringy from one of my older novels: Ugata. He was a leader-character. The pun is so bad I can’t. 15 year old me made it up and thought it was hilarious.

1 Like

I added some more characters to my original post if you’re interested :wink:

I love the name Eli. I had a character with that as their nickname in one of my books X3 Also Finch-James sounds so good! Makes me think of a business name though lol!

I’ve got a great system for names lol

I hate naming characters almost more than anything else in writing. The only thing I like less is writing the blurb for the back cover.

So, whenever I’m making characters I call my wife over and give her a few character traits and she comes back with a list of names that suits that character and then I pick the one I like lol

2 Likes

Reminded me of a minor character of mine, Dance, probably because it rhymes. He’s the butler to Cheshire Vaudeville (yes, THE Cheshire) in my Wonderland-esque story :wink: I came up with it on a whim and enjoyed the joke of Cheshire calling his butler and MC being super confused.

It took me a while because I read it like romaji at first :stuck_out_tongue: Now I get it XD

1 Like

That sounds so helpful! xD I do something similar whenever I have to name objects. I go to my best friend’s fiancé. He’s so fantastic at it!

Dance is such a great name too!! I love it. A great name for a butler, ahaha.

I can totally see that xD

1 Like

I have another character that I’ve named Maven.
And no, I did not name him Maven because of the YA novel series Red Queen. I believe Victoria Aveyard (probably messed on the last name) has a character named Maven. That is not the reason.

I only chose Maven because it sounds cool. Also, Faust is short for Faustina who is now a girl.

1 Like

Ohhh yes. I love him but he can be a lot lol

I’ve gotten Des in this position more than once and he still won’t spill lol. I managed to get the most traumatic, heartbreaking, soul-crushing detail of his entire life out of him but not his freaking name.

1 Like

I was never interested in that series, so I had no idea there’s a character called Maven. You’re safe :wink: Also, character names aren’t for one character only, so I wouldn’t worry even making the disclaimer :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I like that you made Faust a girl. It’s a cool name. Why did you change him to her? Just curious :wink:

1 Like

Another place they can become vulnerable is

when

they

fall in love :wink:

Or, they are about to die. Or, someone they love is about to die.

Hope Des doesn’t go through an identity crisis situation :stuck_out_tongue: My charismatic jerk character Jack, actually went through an identity crisis…and I went with him XD Neither of us knew what name he wanted to go by until he made up his own last name and settled. No, the first name remains. He has to be Jack of all trades, after all.

Oh he’s been in all of those situations :joy:

1 Like

I don’t know. I guess I wanted to try something unique. LOL!

1 Like

oops, I updated my reply XD

Oh no, that does not sound fun :joy: Des seems pretty comfortable being Des. And he had no problem telling me his last name. He just has some kind of issue with whatever Des is short for apparently

1 Like

What if…
what if he’s fooling you? What if it’s not short for anything? :open_mouth: He just wants you to believe it is.

No it’s definitely short for something. Another character frequently calls him by the full version and he hates it.

1 Like

But he’s not telling you? :open_mouth:

Maybe it’s actually a cutesy name.

I just remembered I had a character who lived by his pen name, Cad, because he hated his real name. He never told me his real name and I didn’t write his story for long enough to earn his trust :stuck_out_tongue: But he did tell me his name sounds girly.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.