So, I got to know something about people who are "fast readers"!

Like to those Booktubers that state how they read like thirty books in a single or something along those lines.

Just how engrossed into the book are some of them? Are they reading the books or simply skimming through the pages?

I not knocking that there are some fast readers out there, but it is really a good thing to read books that fast when you can fully enjoy the story slowly?

Does my brain work so differently that I can’t relate to it? Like to read a large amount of books within a single month regardless of the size and/or density of the book, seem questionable to me.

Even if those people do DNF books or whatever, they still have a shit ton on their TBR to get through and keep buying more for aesthetics.

Not all Booktubers and BookTok people are that extreme, but there are still some who keep making their viewers believe in their lies and aren’t called out on it.

This is why I lean more towards AuthorTube rather than BookTube. Even though that is in a dire need of changing too.

What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

I read very fast, but that doesn’t mean I necessarily read every single detail. I might skim over a sentence or two to find the actual point.

My papa botto is the opposite, he reads very slow to understand every detail.

3 Likes

Interesting.
I was wondering if making this thread would serve a purpose, because I am genuinely trying not to come off as rude. I simply want to understand fast readers.

1 Like

I may read the first chapter quite fast to see if it grabs me… Yet, there have been times where the first chapter has made me re-read it because it was that good, and it makes me then read a lot slower, taking in each detail fully…

If it does grab me kindly, then I will take time to read the rest of the book at that same pace, digesting each page with kind…

But, I have no comprehension of BookTuber’s and such (Age and Ignorance here at work), as I really don’t see how reading 30+ books a week or two helps the Author, unless One Book stands out and they fully read it (Which puts the other 29+ books in a shitty place with very little time to be read…

SD

2 Likes

I mean I know of a YouTuber who literally doesn’t do anything but read and work. Like they’re listening to audiobooks 90% of the time. They literally sold their tv because they never watched it and only listened or read books. So, in cases like that it makes sense for them to read so much.

5 Likes

I’ve long thought all those BookTubers are faking it just to get views. Every click is money for them, so of course they pretend to read that fast just to get moolah from Google. But I don’t really care about how fast they read – I’m more interested in what they thought of the book if it’s something on my TBR too, so I give them the clicks if they tell me what I want to know in their video description. Oh, man…someday you need to create a thread on things that annoy us about YouTubers. I’d have a list for you. (>‿◠):v:

2 Likes

Ferb, I know what we’re going to do tomorrow…

2 Likes

Wow…I’m curious to know who that person is.

1 Like

Katie Colson

2 Likes

I read pretty fast and always have. I also have a tendency to re-read books. For me, I think it’s simply that I can do it. I don’t lose information by reading quickly, don’t really need to take down notes to remember details, and retain a great grasp on plot/characters.

For some people, especially people reviewing books for a living, I do believe that potentially they’re not reading for the enjoyment of it but because it’s their job. So, they have a different approach to that. If they’re feeling pressure to produce more content by their platform/audience, then yeah, I’m sure some get overwhelmed and begin to glance through books more than read them. Generally speaking, though, I do think that why it usually doesn’t last very long because these people lose passion for reading or become burnt out. Either way, I think comparing fast readers to those who read for a career are a little different at the end of the day, because we’re motivated by different reasons.

4 Likes

as far as i know, it’s pretty common to have the book and the audiobook. You can listen to the audiobook at a comfortable speed while you work or do other things. it’s very effecient and a great method for reading if you have adhd or text disabilities like dyslexia.

:sweat_smile: the speed at which you read something isn’t a reliable indication of whether you enjoyed it or fully absorbed it. If anything, I read faster when I’m into a book.

Right now 2 books a week is a comfortable pace for me, but i’ve tried a book a day before and while it can be difficult to work in around school and stuff, I didn’t notice that it diminished any part of the reading process for me. Some people are just fast readers, or they use the audiobook method, it’s not something to be suspicious or critical of.

2 Likes

Okay so I used to be a ‘fast’ reader. I’d get through a 300-500 page book in max 3 days when I have school and classes to deal with. Still do, sometimes., though I try to absorb the meterail more now.

For me, that does usually happen, I find myself missing some of the smaller details because I’m just moving too fast. Now, I’m starting to appreciate those more and my speed has slowed down, definitely.
But at the same time, when I’m reading fast, it’s not that I’m not engrossed - often, it’s that I’m too engrossed. As in, I’m really hooked on the plot and the characters that I forget about the world and don’t care about the writing or descriptions, just want to get to the crux of it and the end.
But that also means that I often go back and reread books I liked, and the rereads will happen at slower paces, with me hanging on to every detail and examining the prose and whatnot, once I get past the plot because I already know it.
For book whose plot and prose weren’t enough to engross me, I will not reread it, and if something gets lost in the details, so be it, because it didn’t manage to capture my attention enough the first time.

3 Likes

I know this one person on Discord who reads so fast you won’t believe it. I gave them 3 chapters of my book to read as payment and they read almost the entire book in a few hours. I doubted them, honestly, but they were able to answer questions about my character (still a little skeptical, but they seem genuine… well, anyway, I did get my payment :sweat_smile: ).

So there are people who read SUPER INSANELY FAST. Idk how their brains work, but they’re able to take in information quick.

I used to be able to read a book in a day, when I had time as kid. And you know, kid books are generally fast-paced and quick to get through, so I guess that helped with me reading fast. Even today though, I could, if I had a chunk of time, read a middle-grade book in almost one day.

YA and adult books have more details in them, so they take some time for me to get through. They’re also a lot heavier in terms of topic, so I usually need a break after some chapters. This makes me read a lot slower.

But I also think the more you read, the faster you can get at reading. You get used to it, I guess. I think, anyway. I haven’t the time to test that theory :stuck_out_tongue:

Booktubers who read for a living (gosh, what a life, huh?) have an entire 24 hours to read if they so please. I don’t doubt they can get through a book in a day most of the time. Even if they didn’t read in a day, think how much time there is in a week. 24 hours times 7. Do the math. I suck at math XD

You know, if I had one full day of nothing and no responsibilities, I might be able to read a book in a day but personally, unless the book is so, so exciting, I do get tired. I need a break. I can push myself but then that’s not fun, is it? Unless it’s a mediocre book I want to hurry up and finish.

That was a lot and maybe a little all over the place. But I’m kind of all over the place today :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

@AMMeyers and @JohnnyTuturro:
You both have been summoned, my friends!

:smiling_face:

3 Likes

It really depends on the book and where you are at.

Yes, reading 30ish books in a short span means that they can jumble up a little, and it also means you don’t always remember the whole story for the rest of your life.

But it’s not skimming. You read everything. This isn’t “speed reading”, it’s just as fast as you process it.

That means I have a variable reading speed. Half asleep, with kids screaming, I’m not reading as much right now. But everything is fully processed.

4 Likes

It really depends on their speed. If they read as fast as me, they can read most basic novels in 3 hours, and would only need an hour or so to process what they need to say about the story.

The more difficult the book, the more need to correctly remember minute details, that will expand the amount of time it takes. But you can do a book a day as a job, if you’re a fast processor.

I’m a rediculously fast reader–and in my own family, there were 2 who read faster. So I know I’m not the upper limit, and I’m saying I could do it like a 9-5.

4 Likes

I, too, have wondered what makes a reader a fast reader. Like… what is their secret? But I’ve come to find a few reasons as to how they read so fast:

1. They’re reading multiple books at once.

Some people have said that they’ll read multiple books which can give them a higher chance at finishing many at the same time. You can be listening to an audiobook on your commute to work and the same one while doing chores, while also reading a physical book during other moments of your day (on your lunch break, at home, etc.) I’ve tried to do this because of work (read a book on Libby or Hoopla for at-work reading and reading a physical book at home) and while it can work, it depends on how fast of a reader you are and how long you read for during each session. If I wasn’t distracted at work, I could get through a book in maybe a week or so.

1. They’re heavily reliant on audiobooks.

I’m a slow reader naturally, but if I use an audiobook, it cuts my time in half. Roughly. Most books are roughly 8-10 hours long. If you use the audiobook during commutes, chores, etc. you can read for an easy 3-4 hours a day, and basically get the book finished within a day or so. Not to mention, many who use audiobooks also listen to it at faster speeds which cuts the finishing time even more.

1. They don’t watch a lot of TV or play on social media all that much.

If you want to read more, the basic piece of advice anyone can give is to drop other hobbies. Limit your social media and TV time and use what time you’d put into that with reading. Another part of this is sacrificing your sleep. I know of many who will stay up super late reading or wake up early to read as well. Or get like a couple hours of sleep. But once you start sacrificing these things, you can read a lot more. When I used to work the graveyard shift, I would have 3-4 hours of free time… which I would try to spend reading, but I often found myself engrossed in TikTok and I’d spend 3-4 hours scrolling through videos… and it would feel like ten minutes to me. If I spent less time on TikTok, I could’ve read many more books.

1. They skimmed.

And finally, many fast readers skim through the page. Scientifically speaking, you can do this to read faster and still understand what’s going on, but you only catch like 70% of the information. You tend to miss 30% or so in details and depending on how much you miss and what you miss, you can run pass the important stuff and have to reread it or move on without knowing it.

There’s a bonus answer, too: They read for a living.

Many of the famous BookTubers get paid enough through sponsors, Patreon, their blogs, YouTube, etc. that they do read for a living and therefore, do nothing but read. This only happens to a select few, however, but it can happen. And heck, if you find a job that is very quiet and doesn’t have a lot going on work wise, you can also read a lot.

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of your reasonings, they’re solid, but I also think many fast readers are fast because they read a lot as kids. I think one of the reasons I so fast is because I’ve trained myself to live, breathe, and eat books as a kid. It was the only form of entertainment I had sometimes, so once I finished one, I’d begin another and another. As for investment, being invested actually makes me read faster. I’m so into the story that all my attention is hyper-focused onto the story and everything that’s happening.

Edit: With being that invested, I did notice that sometimes I’d have to go back to glance over certain details because I was so absorbed into the action/moment that I overlooked the smaller things or read shit so fast that I’m having a hard time processing what occurred. This is more like an overload on information then it is glancing over the text, though. I absorbed too much all at once and need help sorting it out.

2 Likes

I think that there are three types of readers when it comes to fast reading:

A) Those who listen to audiobooks and count that as “reading” and regain that information.

B) The people who can actually read fast and collect information.

C) The people who skim and take the important points.

I would say that A is quite common, and a lot of people are busy and they do that when they are at work, or commuting which it’s plausible and this method fits in well with modern society.

B is more rare, but I’d say that some people have trained themselves to retain information.

C is probably common amongst students. I can see them doing that a lot. I did that a lot and I still passed. They get the general gist of the story and some key points from their skimming and call that “read”.

3 Likes

I read 97 books last year. I can’t speak for anyone else but for me it’s mostly a skill. My brain processes a lot of information insanely fast in general just because of how my brain is wired and it applies to anything else that I actually have an interest in due to my hyperfixations (thanks ADHD). I can typically read a 300-500 paged story in a day and still take a lot of information. I notice I only forget info of a story is because 1) it was actuality a forgettable story or 2) I’ve read too much and my brain erased minor details for the sake of making room for more stories

6 Likes