So much lore, history, myth, characters, and etc ! How do I better explain most of it or even all of it?

What I am trying to say is that how do I make this into a story that centers on the world and characters of Alterra?
Like I could make it into a novel anthology, but I was wondering if anyone would give it a chance to read it.

This anthology is mainly focusing on the many events in history, the lore, the mythology, and the different main characters who are all involved in this world.

I mean these things helped shaped the world to how it should be and made Alterra into the world that it is now.
I couldn’t make the story into a novel no matter how damn hard I try. I kept coming up with ideas and never sticking to it!

Working on Alterra has been a “fun little nightmare”, but still it is my everything and I refuse to give up on it.
I just rather not deal with the pain and suffering of writing a novel and getting nowhere.

So, I am going to write a novel anthology about some of the historical events and figures, lore, myth, legends, and a few interesting characters that shaped the glorious world known as Alterra.

What do you think?
I was real close to going back to old habits and starting something new in order to see where it takes me. Yet I stopped myself and said no. Even though when I think about it I am going to have to make major changes anyway later on in my story since it is a novel anthology.

Lend me your thoughts.

4 Likes

Bump.

If it’s giving you joy, why worry about what other people think? Just write it for yourself and don’t post it anywhere. You can write whatever you want that way – vignettes, backstory, worldbuilding, timelines, whatever and not have to worry about criticism. Just have fun with it, whatever you’re doing! ( ˆ◡ˆ)Û¶ Ù©(˘◡˘ )

3 Likes

That is very true!
Thank you so much for telling me this.

I wasn’t going to post this anthology anywhere and make it strictly for my eyes. Until I decide to come up with standard novel centered in the world of Alterra, then I shall do so. Yet even so, it will be a LONG while until I post something story related to The Tales of Alterra Anthology Series.

HOWEVER, I have decided to come up with another story that is not centered in the world of Alterra. So, I am only focusing on two stories which are the anthology and the novella series.

Interesting, huh?

2 Likes

I feel like all the questions in this post are too vast and complicated for me to ramble a full answer to. :thinking: For how to lay all this information out for yourself, yeah, just write out the world’s history as if you’re transcribing a textbook for it. In order of time, importance, or order in which you think of things, it doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t have to be publishable, and might be hard to share anyway because it’ll probably be less of a story and more of just an account of a world, but having a publishable story isn’t the point of laying it out for yourself, the point is indulging your own interest in it and getting all of your thoughts straight.

However, if you’re asking how to endear a reader to the large-scale history and conflict of an entire world, might I put forth the ‘expanding map’ approach as one answer (I don’t know if it has an official/common name, that’s just what I’m deciding to call it). You begin on a small scale, with one protagonist, or a small group of characters, who hold key positions within the world’s greater conflict, but are currently focused on smaller, more personal problems. Through these smaller conflicts, you get your readers attached to these first characters and invested in their fates. Then you expand the map. Have these characters rise slowly into their key positions, coming more into the greater conflicts of the world. What people really care about is other people, so laying out a story as a history of enigmatic historical figures doing plot things is hard to get attached to, but in this case, the reader will care how the world works because the trials and fruits of the world directly affect those first characters they already know and like.

One story that does this brilliantly is One Piece. We are introduced to Luffy, an apparently simple man with an apparently simple dream: find the legendary treasure, the One Piece, becoming king of the pirates, ‘whatever that means,’ we think. For a long time, Luffy’s happy casualness makes that goal feel small and intimate. Like maybe they’ll dig up a big box of gold on a beach somewhere with some congratulatory note from Roger inside, and the crew will have a good laugh and a cookout as the credits roll. As the map expands though, in this case almost literally as the crew explores more of it, we begin to understand alongside them what ‘finding the One Piece and becoming King Of The Pirates’ actually means. The gap in strength between story start Luffy and Roger looked small at first, but turns out to have been an unfathomable trench, continuously forcing Luffy to achieve the impossible and put his past self to shame to keep up with the demands of his quest. The Pirate King, while not a standard king in the traditional sense of the word meaning they sit on a throne and give orders around, is still arguably a very real ruler of a very real kingdom with very real responsibilities to that kingdom and a very real challenge to be genuinely considered as an heir to it. Whatever the hell the One Piece really is, it’s not a simple box of gold you can just stumble upon on a beach somewhere, it’s quite possibly some kind of superweapon or world-breaking knowledge that entire nations have risen and died for, and that the government fears so terribly that they would kill entire nations themselves and rewrite history to keep it hidden. And we care about all these politics and nations because they all directly affect Luffy, and Luffy will directly affect all of them if he succeeds.

2 Likes

Did you just mention my all time favorite anime/manga series ever? :open_mouth:
Thank you for that. LOL! :blush:

I can make it like a textbook, but I was hoping to make it into a story format like an anthology or something similar to that.

I have to figure it out somehow
some
how.

2 Likes

Yes, because it’s mine too, lol. And probably why I too am into writing really long stories with world-wide conflicts, because I grew up on One Piece, and Homestuck.

For the record, I’m taking that approach I discussed on my own work in progress. My protagonist finds out in the beginning that he’s the evil chosen one apparently destined to ravage the world, and he spends the first book running around just his home city slowly learning what being the prophetic devil actually means, and figuring out that most of the world has drastically misunderstood what the prophesy even meant, before coming to the understanding that the world has become the subject of a giant cosmic joke, and the protagonist is feared because he is the only one in a position to do something about it.

2 Likes

That’s never guaranteed, no matter what you are writing.

2 Likes

I wanted to try and write my own One Piece without making it too much like it. Too bad, I never got that far. LOL!

1 Like

Yeah, I was just curious though.

Now, I know that this story should be for my eyes only.

Quick Questions for ya!

Where are you in the One Piece anime or manga?
Are you up to date or not?

Also, how do I use One Piece for as an inspiration for a novel once again?

1 Like

So, from what I gather from a few other responses here, you want to make a history account textbook situation, but in a story format?

Yes?

I believe this is doable because I’m doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

Elgana has quite a few world-changing events and every story I’ve written, I’ve taken one of the major historical events and taken a major character who has either created the event or been heavily involved in the event, and wrote the story of the historical event. Most of the historical figures are not aware of how much they are actually changing the world.

You know, you don’t decide you will become a historical figure one day XD That’s what happens afterwards.

The characters have one personal, sometimes even selfish goal, like, getting revenge on their enemy. But it turns out to impact the world at large which they might not always realize. Pinti’s whole goal is for revenge on her enemy, but it turns out that her actions against him affect the world at large. In her case, she only realizes this at the end of her story.

Another character, Scotch, wants to find his father’s real murderer. As he’s digging into the mysterious murder, he realizes that it wasn’t a small thing, but it involved the conflicts between his race and the Humans. It turned out to be heavily political and world changing. He wouldn’t become a historical figure then. Only much later does it come out that Scotch was heavily involved in stopping the war between his race and Humans, even risking his life.

3 Likes

When it comes to Alterra, it’s a never-ending chaos of me trying to sort things out.
:sweat_smile:

I never knew one fictional world would give me so much trouble. I love it and hate it at the same time.

I just know that there is something that I must do for this world. I just don’t know what that is yet unfortunately.

Nervously laughs

2 Likes

This year’s been stressful, so I’ve fallen a little behind on both. In the manga, I’m in the Wano arc, and they’re on the roof fighting Kaido and Big Mom. I’m a little further behind in the anime, closer to the start of the Wano arc.

That’s a complicated question. Especially since One Piece is such a massive story that you could found a whole series off inspiration from almost any of the islands they’ve visited. I also have a method of building stories that I’m not sure is common, at least I’m not sure I’ve heard an account of something similar from another writer before, so it might be hard to give advice that works for you?

I describe my method as some combination of ‘fanfiction with a whole hecking lot of extra steps’, and ‘a Frankenstein’s monster amalgamation of a story’. I pick one or more stories that inspire me at the time, gut them for parts, strip a bunch of characters (that may or may not all be from the main inspiration) down to one or a couple things I like about them, then rebuild their personalities and the plot by packing on details from other random inspirations and finally smoothing everything over with a thick varnish of logic to make sure everything makes sense and fits together cohesively.

I do have a story idea with One Piece as a founding inspiration, but I’ve been working on other things so it’s kind of still in the early stages and I don’t have much to talk about, so I’m gonna use my current work in progress as an example instead.

My current work in progress was founded on My Hero Academia. Specifically, ‘Deku inherits All For One’. So I gutted the story down to a framework of ‘Deku inherits All For One, steals a whole hecking lot of superpowers, becomes the number one villain, and takes over the world’. Gutted Deku down to ‘powerless but determined’, then slapped on a bunch of new inspirations and logic to rebuild him into the protagonist I felt my new story needed.

I wanted Navon Yandell (new Deku) to be older, because I wanted to write for an older audience, and I hate school with a passion. So I wanted him to be graduated already, but also undereducated, so he could learn the magic system from scratch alongside the reader, which meant he had to have basically cheated to graduate, so I made his parents top heroes nobody would oppose (throwing in Yagi and Inko as gutted placeholders, as ‘good-hearted but dense dad’ and ‘small mom who’s proud of her boy’) and filled the school staff with corruption. I needed other students to contrast Navon’s patheticness, and eventually be his allies, so I threw in Iida (gutted down to ‘smart, awkward boy’), Ochako (gutted down to ‘friendly, heroic girl’), and Katsuki (gutted down to ‘angry, strong, gifted boy’). I knew Navon going that long without powers and getting a diploma he didn’t deserve would probably make him cynical and depressed, so I threw in some of that, and some self-deprecation, but balanced it a bit with self-awareness, goofiness, and subtle wholesomeness. Threw in some other things I liked and that I thought would make him more interesting and competent. Luffy’s (from One Piece) social genius and difficulty communicating it, and his sheer willpower to beat the hell out of anyone who hurts his friends, Moxxie’s (from Helluva Boss) low self-esteem and self-doubt, and hesitance to cause harm (like in the case of not wanting to kill a human family), yet willingness to speak up and complain to his boss about his antics, but also a bit of Blitzo’s (the Helluva Boss in question) silliness and lack of regard for personal space, but not too much of that, some of John’s (from Homestuck) passion for things he’s not particularly good at and tendency to get distracted by the goofiest, most pointless stuff, Batman’s (from Batman) rigid determination not to kill criminals, the small anger of a chihuahua, Ed’s (from Fullmetal Alchemist) height complex, and eventually developing something like Ed’s studious, scientific mind, Bella’s (from Twilight) determination to hold onto a love interest who has hurt her because she believes in the good in him, and determination to get her happily ever after, and love of vampires, my own (from me) fear of being hated and thought of as a demon by people who don’t know the real me (being LGBTQ in a fundamentalist Christian household), some of my own questioning and intrigue concerning religion, some of Dio’s (from Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) villainous presence and confidence, and I’m sure there are more I can’t remember off the top of my head.

I could, and shouldn’t, ramble an entire second book about how I came up with everything in the book I’m writing. Sorry I rambled as much as I did, but I hope something I said might help. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You’re almost there in the manga.
You still got ways to go in the anime.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Well, I wanted to try and use One Piece and Tower of God as both inspirations for this story far as worldbuilding goes. I suppose the world of Game of Thrones is interesting too. I still wanted to write a story where I combine bits of ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire) and Mobile Suit Gundam Seed. That will probably be a little incorporated into the novel that I am working on.

Urgh! Much Frustration! LOL!

1 Like

Maybe you need to let it sit and really seriously work on something else?

I’ve had to let worlds or ideas sit for a while after coming up with them. I call it marinating or cooking the ideas :stuck_out_tongue: They have to be close to well-done for me to actually do anything about them.

Oh wait, idk if you’re looking at my personal thread Inspiration Project, but I have this ongoing fantasy short called Pedro Saga. Basically, it’s just single scenes of two or more characters. I’ve been writing these shorts for this world and quite liking it but not ready to write a big novel out of it.

Maybe you could try that? Write very, very short scenes of your favorite characters doing things. And it’s for yourself. And you get to cram in doses of world building and history.

1 Like

I tried that and it doesn’t feel right.

I would have to think of something and create something entirely different from The Tales of Alterra.
That is just too much thinking for me. Sounds lazy? That’s because I am.

Moving on, you mentioned that I should try marinating my ideas as I let them wait. I am willing to try plenty of things, but the thing that I want to try the most is writing chapter one and beyond.

What do you have so far? If I remember
you were working on a story for Alterra, right? With a girl
you kept changing her name, so I don’t remember, but what about her story?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve changed so many things so many times that it’s only slightly funny.
Anyway, I have two options at the moment.

Option 1: A young man and his ragtag group of misfits are traveling the world, solving mysteries, unraveling secrets, and unlocking hidden treasures while searching for a way to reach their dreams. The young man’s dream is to reunite with the First Ones which was a group of aliens that came to Alterra eons ago and shaped the planet into the way it is now. The young man believes that he was a part of the First Ones or rather the true offspring of the First Ones.

Option 2: A young rich heiress doesn’t believe that the family she is born into is her real family and that her true family are still somewhere in the world. The heiress runs away from her home to search for her family only to come across many obstacles and other things that are preventing her from finding her real family. The young heiress traveling the vast world to search for her true family and she’ll know who they are the moment she lays her sights on them.

Option 3: A combination of options 1 and 2.

That is all I have for this story.

Oooh, I’d read this story :grin: Also reminds me of one of my stories. It’s fun exploring characters searching for true self and family.

As for both stories, you have opportunity to touch upon the world building because the characters are traveling and more likely to visit places even they have never been to. If the characters are seeing the places for the first time, you have the opportunity to be a tiny bit world-building info dump especially if the characters are curious and asking questions.

1 Like