Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

What if you jot down all possible plots?

This was a method I was going to try when I thought the plot was the problem for mine.

Get all your options onto the table and see which ones work and which don’t. But don’t stop until you have a bunch to choose from.

I found that I was finding plots that seemed to work, but as I began writing it, it would stop working. Then I would get frustrated and find another plot. THIS TIME for sure, but then it didn’t work… The torment continued :sweat_smile:

So, yeah, try jotting down plot options before committing?

2 Likes

Change your schedule up. Feed your muse a mind-numbing moment. Sitting in that frustrating spot is going to produce writing you will be rid of.

Try automatic writing…doodle a bit, write what pops in your head, zone out on it.

There are things to try.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

1 Like

Good luck to you.

Have a fox hug :fox_face: :hugs: They are magical. Might help.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I am going to jot down some plots and more.

2 Likes

I have over 103k words written so far. Now the only thing I need to do is figure out where I want this book to end and the next to begin.

2 Likes

Is there a natural wrap up or coming home spot post serious climax?

1 Like

I have an idea for where to wrap it up but it’s not after an action climax, it’s more of a cliffhanger.

I suppose I don’t know Faust (short for Faustina) all that well,

I somewhat understand her goals, needs, and wants a bit. However, I do not understand her personally. It is like I barely know her. I do know somethings like her being in and out of foster care, dropping out of high school and doing only one semester of college only to drop out there too, being a troublesome and problematic person due to her upbringing, and not knowing anything about her birth family.

Faust, like many of my other characters are a bit unknown to me.
That makes me really sad.

2 Likes

So, I know there’s a lot of writing-new-content contests. But are there any revision contests or something? :joy: Like NaNoWriMo but for revising a book?

Gosh I really need some kind of social, competitive spirit to go back and edit my books. I can never get myself to commit to revising anything I write once draft 1 is completed and I’ve started a new project.

4 Likes

Hey, I’m editing a book now. Usually do it chapter by chapter. Wanna cheer each other on? :wink: Like a critique partner, but only for holding each other accountable for editing. I plan to buckle down on it once I finish things for my PhD.

3 Likes

Andrei Mozalev will skate in the Olympics! I am crying happy tears! Just as you think the world is this dreary place, it surprises you!

8 Likes

That works for a series.

2 Likes

I second Abbie recommendation.

Make sure to check her whole playlist on 3 act structure. Don’t skip any videos.

2 Likes

So…
Someone put one of my stories on a “bad boys” reading list. It isn’t, at least not in the traditional sense.
Will it get some extra views when on a list like that? :woman_shrugging:

It’s actually my most popular story though it doesn’t look like it at the first glance.
8k reads on a 5 chapter story = 1600 people have read it. :exploding_head:

What’s this baby’s secret? It’s an unexpected crossover, and I don’t know, maybe people expect it to get steamy - it doesn’t get anywhere close to that, zero romance, but they must like it despite that if they keep saving it to their reading lists.

3 Likes

People just reuse lists. I had Winners Don’t Have Bad Days put on Fantasy or Problematic, and even BTS.

2 Likes

In my experience, sometimes people just put things in the most random lists :joy:

I once had a star wars fanfic added to a list called “Gucci Posers” or something like that. And I have no idea why or what that even means :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve been put on lists for pretty much every single genre, regardless of how relevant they are to the content

2 Likes

Gucci is slang for fancy. So, pretentious is what this old lady would name the list.

But then, I’ve got a small list of “I’d read it twice”. Very eclectic. Most the rest of my lists are either piffle or were program specific.

2 Likes

My reading lists have grown in no time, it seems and maybe I’ll never read them all. But the books that I’m recommending, are in clearly labeled lists - recommended - [insert story kind].

I’ve seen lists that are just numbers or symbols.

2 Likes