Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

You can’t please everyone :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I loved how my all is lost scene turned out so far. But I am choking up a little at wrong the reaction beat to it, because it’s obviously sad, and sad stuff is hard to write well.

So, finishing for today at 55.7K words!

1 Like

Hey, I have a serious question and I need answers.

How do you mold a good three-dimensional character? Like a character with flaws, strengths, weakness, and an amazing personality.

I need to know this so, when I actually write my characters in the story, I’ll know exactly how to write them.

Forgive me if this is a silly question.

2 Likes

Observe people around you and let your characters show the same strength and flaws at home, work and play. It’s also cool if their flaws are continuation of their virtues. I dunno, make them cool, then invert that coolness into a flaw. Stress them out and see what shakes out :innocent:

2 Likes

You mean like do some people watching?

2 Likes

I guess, just remember what happens during a normal day, in meetings or just chatting with friends etc, from the past and now.

2 Likes

I see. Anything else you might want to add?

2 Likes

I have lost pretty much all motivation to write. I don’t think my stories are really going anywhere right now. Or maybe I’m just lazy, who knows?

2 Likes

For me, when characters that sometimes contradict their values make them really realistic because, let’s be honest, people who are nice aren’t nice all the time and people who are brave can get scared. When people are angry, frustrated, stressed, scared, anxious, or jealous, they often break their values, sometimes impulsively, and having a character who breaks these values occasionally are much more compelling because it shows that they are flawed and aren’t always moral, and this can also lead to strong character development as they reaffirm or modify their original beliefs.

Another thing similar (but slightly different) are characters with values and beliefs that seem to contradict with each other. This is a bit complicated to explain, so I’ll use my book as an example. My MC likes to be in control and have things planned out, and yet, he has a big fear about college and growing up and struggles to plan and think about it. These two values that he holds seem to contradict, and it’s through these contradictions that he becomes realistic, not really falling into the cliche of the rebellious “I don’t care” teenager or the pre-planned future overachiever one, but somewhere in between, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Progress thing: I finished writing ch.27 of my WIP and this is the first bit :stuck_out_tongue:

Scotch hung out alone in the lounge. Well, not entirely. It was chalk chockablock with Humans milling about doing whatever Humans did after nine o’clock at night.

3 Likes

Oh, the drink is watching people? Or is it the name of the character. It’s cute scene though!

*a tiny typo: choke-full, or chuck-full, not chalk.

3 Likes

Scotch is his name.

He has a twin sister called Butter :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly did not know that was how it’s spelled :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve been saying “chalk full” all my life and no one’s said anything XD Thanks!

2 Likes

DomiSotto got it right but “chock-full” works, too. “Chock” means “as completely as possible”. Apparently “chock-a-block full” was an old saying.

I got this wrong for years, too.

3 Likes

That must be where it’s from :open_mouth:

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary: chockablock

Chockablock started out as a nautical term. A block is a metal or wooden case with one or more pulleys inside. Sometimes, two or more blocks are used (as part of a rope and pulley system called a “block and tackle”) to provide a mechanical advantage - as, for example, when hoisting a sail on a traditional sailing ship. When the rope is pulled as far as it will go, the blocks are tight together and are said to be “chockablock.” Non-nautical types associated the “chock” in “chockablock” with “chock-full,” which goes back to Middle English chokkefull, meaning "full to the limit (a figurative use of “full to choking”). We thus gave “chockablock” the additional meaning “filled up.” “Chockablock” can also be an adverb meaning “as close or as completely as possible,” as in “families living chockablock” or the seemingly redundant “chockablock full.”

Pretty interesting :thinking:

2 Likes

Finishing today at 56.7K, basically just started the exciting finale after all the sad stuff. Really happy to be back to the adventure from all the bellyaching!

4 Likes

Wrote about 2k words since last time, and I’m nearing the 140k word mark for my book. I managed to write a bunch today after writing little in the last two days, mostly because college decisions stress is getting to me. UW and UCI came out on Friday, and I managed to get accepted by both, which was both a relief and a bit scary since high school seems to be ending and college seems to be coming up so quickly. I was a bit worried since one of my college essays was about my experience writing fanfiction, and I was worried that it’s a risky topic due to the stigma attached to it, but I guess everything worked out in the end. Anyways, I should probably get back to writing.

2 Likes

Grats on university acceptances! And it’s awesome that you included fanfiction writing :innocent:

I am in the full-on action sequence, and just switched the Pov for the new chapter. The total is now at 57.8K words.

4 Likes

Thanks @DomiSotto

As for daily progress, even though today was a holiday for our school, I spent most of today doing homework and, combined with a lack of motivation, mostly because I feel like I’m at an impasse since I’m not quite sure how to advance my characters, I’ve only written about 1k words today. I might take a little break and indulge a story idea that I have (sort of a oceanside-community zombie apocalypse story) just to recharge and help think of a better way to advance my story as of the moment since I’m a bit stuck.

4 Likes

Heh, 1k is what I normally write daily, so it is a comfortable, decent pace :innocent:.

Finishing today at 59K total, just short of finishing the chapter, just one more argument/talk before I can start new chapter. Not sure yet who will narrate it, there is advantages for either one of my two lovers.

2 Likes

Somehow my weirdest story that started off as a one-off is shaping up to be my most promising book yet. I’m only 24K words in but the characters have so much depth to me I feel like I could write them in any situation. Sadly, it’s not the kind of story that will appeal to many people. So, that part of it kind of sucks… but whatever, man.

4 Likes