Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Just make sure when you flip the sentences not to have sentences starting with The/A ‘noun’ ‘verb’ in a row. I fall into that problem when I try to correct problem of ‘there was’

4 Likes

Is this the ONC everyone is referring to? Open Novella Contest 2023 - Open Novella Contest | Ambassadors - Wattpad

I’m the same way with prompts. It can inspire short, intense ideas, like a one-shot or at best, a few chapters, but then I have no idea what to do with that, and leave it there to die. :laughing:

4 Likes

You mean like: “The mailman ran. A bird flew by. Then the sun rose in the skies.” That kind of thing?

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one.

I realized I could write a novella, so I’m going to try at least the first round. I didn’t think of a story to a prompt. I thought of a story and then went through what prompts would fit in it because I only had a vague idea for it anyway.

3 Likes

Basically, it favors light novel, anime, manga-rish type of stories. So the kind of works you’ll find on Webtoons, Bilibili comics and so forth.

For general fiction type of works, it’s a real hit-and-miss. Some of the people here have had some luck on the site, but I haven’t been able to tap into the “tapas” success.

Also, they have a shop, so heavily place feature and discovery focus on their selling works. Which is fair. On top, you’ll have to compete with manga/comics, which have a higher product edge in the catalog.

Still, I wouldn’t discount giving the place a try. You never know unless you experience it for yourself. Tapas is one site where you can easily come and go without recourse.

2 Likes

Carry On fans, please, explain how the Buddist cosmology fits into the shoddy worldbuilding!

Who is Renna? What was she like? Why is she called the God-Queen?
Why do the Rhaks love, support, and remain so loyal to her even when she failed to win against the enemy?
Whats her origin?

These are some of the things I need to know about this character. I am giving Elred an overhaul in characteristics and more.

There also needs to be a secondary main character going along with Elred who is female but does not serve as the love interest or some random nonsense like that.

I’m thinking of many possibilities…

1 Like

I can’t live like that for long periods of time.

1 Like

Instead of getting rid of them all, it’s best to see if a 10th of them could be useful, like leaving it when someone is speaking, as a stylistic break between their speech and your writing, and also to break up saying “s/he was” too repetitively, either. Better writing doesn’t wholly count for people’s speech.Shrugs

3 Likes

Not just simplicity of the sentences, but simply that they start with the same word, ‘the’ or ‘a’. I always thought it would be invisible repeat, but it’s not.

1 Like

started weekly chapter uploads on wattpad again this week. Can’t wait for absolutely no one to read them lolol

If writing the chapters goes well then I might dedicate some time to r4rs and submitting to reviewers because that helps more than anything else I’ve ever tried (tbh, haven’t tried that much). But can i be honest? i loathe when reviewers ask for permanent follows as payment and so many of them do it. Like bro, i am not at all interested in seeing your bi-weekly “hey guys, new chapter!” post for the rest of time, crowding out updates from the people I actually follow. let me read and comment on 20 chapters of your pet project and be done.

…well, that rant came out of nowhere, i think i should go eat something. yeah. hope everyone had a good writing day!

4 Likes

True. That brings me to another question about dialogue. I’ve read articles that tell you NOT to butcher words to indicate accents while at the same time, I feel like so long as it’s not overdone and still readable, it’s okay? Like a character saying, “I ain’t goin’ to no store.” vs “I’m not going to the store.” If you write it as “proper” English, it doesn’t even sound like the same person. And if I try to compromise like, “I ain’t going to the store,” it just sounds weird to me.

How do others feel about stuff like that? I have characters that are “gangsters” in my story, and don’t always talk proper, and then others who are very high class and speak proper. So I like to show the differences in speech. And there are characters who rarely curse, and one character who’s just a potty mouth all the time. I know some people have “feelings” about cursing in books, but it’s like, come on. It’s a legitimate way some people talk. People don’t seem to realize that there are people who exist where cursing is just part of their every day language, and they’re not necessarily fighting/angry, they just curse.

The “writing advice” on the internet gets confusing. :weary:

:sob: This makes me sad. I wouldn’t mind an R4R if you’re ever up for it.

1 Like

Gotcha. Yeah, that’s tough to do. That’s why sometimes I refer to characters as their occupation like the racer, the mob boss, but… is that any better? :thinking:

All too relatable.

3 Likes

aw don’t be sad! i’m curmudgenly but at the end of the day i write because i like it and it doesn’t really matter if anyone else does.

but i think a r4r would be fun! weren’t we paired together in someone’s r4r group as like, outliers who couldn’t fully commit? like you were editing still and i… had (have) the worst time management known to man? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

alas the life of a wattpad writer :skull:

3 Likes

I think it’s a matter of scale.

Look, I’m going to write like many people in my area talk, for a second, and you tell me what I said:

Mais, da’ baw wen’ fas fas down da bayou ta ge’ oudda heah. Was T-baw bout ta choot’em up?

2 Likes

So I never thought Booksie would be one place to get reads and comments. I’m glad I stand corrected.

2 Likes

Although, if I have to be honest, Booksie’s interface is, er, really clunky. I mean, if you came out of Wattpad, Tapas and the likes, it would seem like stepping back in time a bit. It does its job, at the end of the day.

Also, I’m not liking the fact I can’t schedule posts. A big selling part of the tool for me is a post scheduler, so I’m not sure how much I’ll continue to be active with the site.

Overall not a bad site, just feels… old. But that’s just my first impressions.

1 Like