Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Both. The one that dominates it is it’s primary, and the secondary would just have a note that says: it belongs here as well, for more details go to the main type space.

1 Like

Interesting. In the back of my mind, I was wondering that.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Is anyone participating in Nano this year? :heart_eyes_cat:

5 Likes

I never did it officially. Dunno how I will handle it this year.

2 Likes

I am! ( ˆ◡ˆ)۶ ٩(˘◡˘ )

3 Likes
In my opinion...

…for what that’s worth, it’s because experimental fiction is not very popular, and most writers aren’t here to make art so much as to make money. A song only needs a good tune and lyrics that fit the metre. As long as the band can play their instruments competently, you’ve got a decent song that someone will buy. Songs also have a built-in audience for that genre, and get airplay and venue bookings to advertise them. Books don’t, at least not for those who don’t write what the Big 5 are looking for atm. There are many more variables with a book than a song. A good book needs a plot that tells a logical story in a memorable way, with characters the reader can live vicariously through. While there’s a book out there for every reader, most of those books remain undiscovered by the readers who’d love them most due to the technological impossibility of AI that can scan a book for depth vs. shallowness and other variables that make or break a reading experience. Science simply doesn’t have the technological know-how for a decent search engine at this point in history. So it’s normal for writers to worry about writing to a formula that helps their books get discovered. Discovery = success. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

My feeling is, mafia are passionate by definition because they are not ruled by written law, so they are allowed to have passions. Rose therefore allowed to have an irrational need to own a racing franchise, particularly if it is denied to her or her father. Or, perhaps, her first engagement tragedy is connected to it. At any rate, for me, deeply personal for her is the best motivation :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think they do. A lot of music is copying success or trend, no different from writing. And, like with books, songs sometimes break out against advice of music industry. But, sometimes it helps. See Go-Go Girls success after being repackaged as pop from punk.

5 Likes

Yessss! “Rebelling” it though and already have one chapter written. But my goal is to write 50k regardless. Going to be a long project and possibly more than one book so yay!

5 Likes

Yes. I will rebel my 2022 ONC novella into a novel for this NaNo. My goal is a complete, Watty eligible and Watty-ready novel at the end of NaNo. I have it all set up on the NaNo site, so I will happy to buddy up with you if you are doing it!

3 Likes

Uhm. They do. There are many contradictory rules.
Modern music requires the artists to be simple, use as few chords as possible and repetitive melodies but also do all of that while being interesting and not too simple, not too boring, and catchy. You can check off all the boxes and still have a flop that no record wants.

I’m not even going to get into MUSIC THEORY aspect of this.

People study music for years.

Why do writers think they’re any different and don’t have to study?

7 Likes

Rebelling too. I’m planning to edit a draft I wrote for nano 2021.

4 Likes

Most of what you are referring to only really concerns pop music with a large label behind it, not the millions if independent artists making music in their basements and uploading it to soundcloud.

2 Likes

I thought you meant musicians that are able to earn a living.

Also, no one said that a basement band hasn’t studied music.

And by study, I don’t necessarily mean institutional education only. It’s absolutely possible to become a successful musician when learning by yourself. You do that by STUDYING great artists whose music you like. You try to play/sing what they did and then you try to do the same on your own.

And you practice for years and years.

I should mention, I’m not guessing this. This isn’t my imagination but experience.

3 Likes

Practice is one thing. Study is one thing.

Constantly worrying about if your work is good enough is another.

1 Like

I agree.

I think many writers need a reality check.
You can’t expect your first, second, even third book to be perfect on the first try. This early in the journey, you’re still practicing and need to set your expectations right. Expecting the audience to swoon over it is unrealistic. Can it happen? Yes, but the likelihood is small.
And that’s okay, it’s only practice for that breakthrough hit that will come as long as you keep going.

4 Likes

That’s true. A lot of times people in power want things simply because they want more power. The more powerful/richer they are, the better. Being relatively well off/stable isn’t good enough. And in Rose’s case, as a new heiress, and seeking something to set her apart from her father as boss, achieving a goal he couldn’t would definitely make sense. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m hoping to but I’m supposed to be moving sometime between late October and early November. I might just end up joining late.

2 Likes

Sounds like a reason to me. If later some other personal link/hook comes up, it can add layers too.

1 Like

Back from cleaning my space a bit.
Anyway, I still need to finish jotting down some notes for this novel.

Eventually, I will want to switch to typing the notes rather than handwriting it. Handwriting sucks the life and will out of me majority of the time.

I seriously don’t know how people (writers mostly) can write a novel or novel related notes by hand for extended periods of time. I can’t fathom how irritating of an experience it is for me to try and will myself to write by hand.

Sad, but true. I keep hoping that will change, yet I can’t see it ever doing so.

1 Like