Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Didn’t do much writing yesterday, but I do have later today to get some writing done.
Whether it is by hand or on the computer, I have to do some notetaking for this novel.

4 Likes

I’m reading my scifi saga from the start, hoping to regain some adventure spark for it.

3 Likes

I’ve just written a fight scene from my deuteragonist’s POV. I already loved her from the moment I created her but damn, she just looks so much cooler in this scene! I was lowkey fangirling over my own work as I was writing it :joy: I hope that’s a good thing. I mean, what good is a story if you don’t enjoy writing it :wink:

It’s actually a pretty short fight scene. Throughout the story so far she’s painted as this ultra-powerful guardian that everyone holds in extremely high regard, even those who are technically the same rank as her. In this fight we actually get to see her in action, and hot damn, she finishes the job so quickly :skull: I hope that whoever reads that will then see why people look up to her a lot, because boy she’s earned that respect very well.

I’d love to talk more about it if anyone’s interested, don’t want to give too many spoilers away XD

4 Likes

At the very least, that means you’re writing something you want to read all over again.

4 Likes

Oh, it’s a wonderful feeling!

4 Likes

That’s definitely a good thing. :muscle: :smiley:

3 Likes

I am sitting outside and just relaxing while I try to watch YouTube and type.

One thing I will say about this outdoor experience is that kids are interesting in a I don’t know what to make of them way.

So, I am going to write on this beautiful and nice day.

Nothing else to report.

I am going to try to write until the battery on my tablet dies/needs to be charged.

EDIT: I didn’t stay out too long because it started to drizzle, and I was afraid that it would downpour or something.

So, I am back in my home hours later.

2 Likes

I’m with my family at the park for a picnic thing. I didn’t want to go but had to.
It wasn’t so bad but now it looks like it will rain so I’m like, okay, can we go now but now my son wants to play baseball so I guess we have to wait until it rains for real.

3 Likes

I am about to use some of my old notes for worldbuilding that I didn’t finish to help me out a bit with worldbuilding this novel’s overall world.

I swear to damn God if I change the name of this planet one more flipping time, I am going to punch myself in the face with a brick.

I am not even joking.

3 Likes

For to send my girls and husband to the park without me and the baby because of female issues. I hate the park. Lol

1 Like

I feel you.

This wasn’t just park. It was a social event! :scream: The horror!

It did rain eventually though so thank you for that, weather.

I just love that got was turned to for and I missed it.

I’m good with socializing as long as I’m not the center of attention…and as long as it’s not hot. It’s been in the 90s, as a part of steering this potential hurricane towards Florida. We still have tarps up from last year.

1 Like

A while back I made a document focusing on the worldbuilding of Avantica (which was originally Alterra then Avantica then Alroria and now Llyria groans). The reason why I didn’t finish it and left it undone was not only because it is hard trying to answer things but was even harder trying to figure out other things as well.

So, I am going to have to really think and do some research on certain topics in for my worldbuilding process.

Because looking at my notes back when Llyria was Avantica, I could have done more research and/or ask for some advice.

EDIT: MY WORLD OF LLYRIA IS WAY TOO BIG AND IT KEEPS GROWING IN MY MIND!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THIS IMMENSE WORLD OF MINE?!

1 Like

You do know that you don’t have to explore all of a world in a story, right? The growth of the world itself is not a problem imo. If the world grows and it gains an aspect that changes or is in conflict with your story, then maybe you can consider it a problem.

I personally have huge worlds, and several of them at that (if you consider individual planets to be individual worlds). I don’t explore most of those worlds in my stories, though, and that’s fine.

3 Likes

No, this is merely me trying to understand my fictional world. I am doing this purely for fun (I guess). I totally get that exploring the whole world isn’t necessary, but I want to touch base on some parts of Llyria.

So, basically, you are saying in a sense that I should focus on the worldbuilding that matter to the novel, correct?

I wanted to do that and reveal things that my possible readers won’t get to read about.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, it’s really the only worldbuilding that matters. You can come up with several cool things about your world but at the end of the day if it doesn’t play a hand in your story—directly or indirectly—a lot of readers probably won’t care.

If you want to worldbuild beyond that it’s totally fine, because I do it too. But I don’t think it’s something to really stress over :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Compartmentalize it. Think: this world has 7 continents (arguably a few more or less depending on the science), but if I was writing about people in Antarctica, it wouldn’t be this elaborate cate of thousands.

Nations limit it further. Other than immigration and online outreach, my limited socialization is for 1 parish of about 110K, where 18% is black, most the rest are white, and the majority of the whites are Cajun. Asians I regularly run into are Vietnamese: I’m more likely to run into a cousin than an Asian in some parts of my grocery runs. One of the people we interact with in this forum is in Japan. I type more to her than I run into any Asian here.

So, you can see that a whole continent of people ain’t my daily life–that is in spite of my sister-in-law being Trinidad (3/4 India Indian) and my step-mom being a Philippino.

But in spite of that, what we did in a war on the 40s, and later in the 70s forces some knowledge of Asian history into my life because it’s my national history as well (WWII, Vietnam: personally had an uncle died from Agent Orange, most my uncles/great uncles were alcoholics who came back from that war, both sides of the family. The war ended a couple years before my father could be drafted. It’s a huge impact on my life, though not an everyday life issue.)

So, what you really need is the limitations of your locations, then you can know what is necessary for world building.

1 Like

I have a shit ton of cool things for Llyria that I would love to type out. I would like to heavy worldbuild just for fun, but it is wearing on me. I have a list of things I want to add to for the world of Llyria. I shouldn’t stress over something like this otherwise it will ruin me.

Thanks. I just really love this world and want to go into full detail about it.

1 Like

Here is a table of contents for worldbuilding Llyria:

Well, I tried to make it look decent.

5 Likes

That is a lot.

1 Like