Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Not quite.
See the female that Elred was in his past life isn’t even human, but rather a humanoid being who is on the same level as god. Although Renna (Elred’s real self) had a female appearance, Renna isn’t truly a female. In fact,Renna is actually a genderless being with female features. However, in disguise form Renna can be ANY gender of it’s choosing.

Renna went from “female” to woman in disguise form to reborn male.

thinking about it I guess it don’t matter that much, does it?

1 Like

I just realized i will have 3 books to edit for Watty after ONC is done. Ouch!

3 Likes

That technicality is more along the line of “Why don’t we respect God’s pronouns?”

(That always causes a fight.)

But yeah, it’s not going to be really analogue to Earth issues. The problem is to clearly define it would take a lot of reinforcement, and would be easier to leave as “he was a she”.

2 Likes

i actually left the apartment to work on Magpie Black before class today and then realized I don’t remember wtf was supposed to happen next and all my plot notes are at home.

still a more productive day than it would have been if I stayed home though so… can’t complain too much.

3 Likes

All of this:- I understand filly of the complications of writing a coherent tale…

If you have an idea that is held within a time frame, look at your peoples histories, find a moment in that time and add it as a Note Only (I have many pages of histories for the differing peoples and add such ideas to it. Only then do I look back at them and try to see where and who it will fit with. It is a part of World Building, one that make it more coherent and can take time to do unfortunately,

As for characters, once you find a settlement or race and there belonging in your world, it becomes easier to write about their cultures and such. The characters must be now a part of your world, their beliefs and ways will fall into place. The addition of new people, new characters, will fall into their respective peoples and historic lives naturally.

Llyria sounds like a really nice place you have created…
I imagined Arillion to be a land mass with a certain lay out… I was wrong to do so… What I then saw in my mind was a place that would expand as I wrote, and as such it did. I started with a fleeing of our first two characters from Astiol, which is located in the South Fief. I had a slight look of the overall location, but it did not stay with what I had, it grew… I wrote and saw as I did the world fall away before me, northern lands passed me by, as did the lands all around me. But where I was riding to… That came as I wrote further…
My advice for writing the world around your current timing is just this… Think of it as a Jigsaw… Write where you’re going, and fill in the lands about as your character sees them in passing. Once you have a reference, you can always look back upon it, or do as I do, see it grow in your mind.

Personal not here:- Whatever the location within your world, you should keep one thing coherent… Location and trades.
If your township is by the coast, fishing will be the foremost trade, in the wide open planes it will be crops and cattle farming, in the mountainous regions it will be a bit of both farming, and mining, Use such trades to barter with other settlements and peoples which would deem it worthy of trade.

One thing to do is this… Break down your “Peoples”, “Races”, “Histories of each race”, “Locations within the world” and have notes for them on file to adhere to when your a little lost as to where you wish to go. If something else surfaces, and you wish to add it, do so. But make a note of it within the “Notes” and add a “Timescale” of when it happened, and with who…

This is all my advice for your post, and I hope it does indeed help you.
Llyria sounds like a well conceived place, and I hope it becomes a reality for you to pen it down.

SD

2 Likes

Well, if Ariana Grande could say “God is a woman” and not get smote, then I think YHWH is truly an “any/all pronouns” type of being

Lmao, this is why it causes arguments. If there’s anything that has a priority over "misgendering*, something has to be delayed. Could think of a few things I’d have no patience with.

Instant death ruins autonomy. Either there is no God or God is extremely patient to not insta-smite.

1 Like

Now the name has been changed to Alagossia as opposed to staying Llyria.

Yeah, I shall tackle this more a bit later.
See ya soon.

1 Like

Ugh, I just had a similar hassle with hosts. My host is expensive. Great, but pricey. And I haven’t been active on my blog since 2020 (go figure lol). It still gets traffic though, just not enough to warrant the host so I ended up downgrading to a cheaper host which I originally left when traffic got high enough to force my site to go down all the time. I don’t think that’ll be the case now since I’m not active so I had to downgrade. I wanted to monetize the blog somehow, but yeah, it’s a process that I’ve kind of given up on. (sigh) This is for a web dev blog I have, not my free writing blog. I’ve been writing more creative stuff than tech stuff in recent years so :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Eek. That’s not encouraging. I was thinking of trying it. :grimacing: When you say Tapas “is too fixed on what it wants and has a tight readership”, what do you mean? :thinking:

2 Likes

Wrote a chapter to a fanfic I haven’t touched in like half a year. I’ve started editing Debts to Dead Men again with the intention of my WIP staying on WP and then when the editing is “done” (first round anyway) and I get feedback from a beta reader or something, maybe try it for the Watty’s, the more “complete” version will go on Tapas. :thinking: :crossed_fingers: We’ll see.

3 Likes

I transferred my tech blog to my author blog because I don’t have time to maintain both. That’s against best practices though.

Sure, it’s a valid advice that a niche blog does better than a little bit of everything but there’s an advantage to it. My ungoogleable posts actually get some clicks and occasional comment. It might help visibility and also to make my domain stronger in search results.
Also all marketing opportunities look for full website traffic.

For monetization, I tried to do affiliate links before but then Amazon got on my nerves and I gave up on that.
Apparently, I still don’t have enough visitors to qualify for Google ads. I gave up on that too.

Whatever. I can afford maintaining it for now. I’d rather build up the blog to get some traffic so later I can use it for marketing my fiction. At least it sounds good in theory.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to overcomplicated things :stuck_out_tongue:

But maybe I won’t.

3 Likes

I need to write, but don’t know where to start.
What I mean is I don’t know which story I should go with far as the Alagossia novels. I have options, too many options!

LOL!

2 Likes

Guess I am editing and redoing The Breakers so that it can be a completely remastered new version of Red Reign.

I kinda wanted to do that anyway! It is more like I wanted to focus on other Alagossia Novels too.

So, I am going to do a bit of that then something else later.

Side Note/Off Topic: I am in love with bread and it’s one of those things I really need to try and eat sparingly. But the bread I got is soo good because it is those soft bakery bread rolls. You know the long ones.

3 Likes

I am so short on time… not funny… ONC… clubs… gym…

3 Likes

I decided to not overcomplicate things.

I decided to end the book where Viv says “yep, I’m viv. I’m gonna lead with pride. So, where did you say you were from?” and kind of imply she’s going to take a lead or something.

Sounds like a good ending. Kind of ends how it began but in a better way.

Now I have to go and write up two or three battle scenes for that story.

Considering ONC as I do every year, but I never do well with prompts. It’s been proven to me over and over again. I’ve tried. I really have. I produce such horrendous blah when I have a prompt. All of my prompt stories are cringe and I’m not proud of any of them :sweat_smile: The only time a prompt works is when I write a single scene of a few paragraphs. That’s the only time it works.

5 Likes

That seems like a good ending to me! I love books that leave off with dialogue like that, and it sounds so fitting!

Prompts are definitely hard to write to. It’s so easy for them to feel forced into a story where it doesn’t belong!

3 Likes

And that often gives me writer’s block :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve discovered while editing that I like to write “he/she appeared/seemed XYZ” instead of “he/she was XYZ.” Searched my first draft. 58 “seem”, 40 “appear”. :scream: Gah! Delete delete delete! :laughing:

I also read a tip to search for “There was” anywhere so instead of writing, “There was a clap of lightning,” you’d write, “Lightning clapped.” 113 instances of that in my draft. Yay! :sob: At least the editing is making progress lol

5 Likes