Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Today isn’t going to be a writing day for me. I did some editing for Radish, loaded a chapter of both stories there, and will have to sit down and read a book to write a review.

Plus, this week’s reading starts to come in too, which always puts a bit of pressure on me.

2 Likes

I just came up with an even better idea for one of my stories. I shall be focusing on two novels and nothing more than that. I do have a personal deadline which is focusing on these two stories until I am fifty-nine years old. It sounds ridiculous, but I don’t care.

Summary

Ryker has to leave his current home because of the heavy racism and discrimination towards his kind. He goes to another nation which is far more accepting of his kind. Or so he thinks because when he gets there, he still needs to hide the fact that he is a weird mixture of robot and mage which is slightly uncommon but is strongly not accepted. So, he ends up in the middle of so much tension, lies, secrets, and possible warfare that is happening his new home. All he wants is to live peacefully after losing his family., Sadly, that isn’t the case anymore and he must fight to survive being in a new yet hostile environment that the thought would be welcoming but is more so not.

Ryker is in a jar unable to breathe and get out fast enough.
I need a title that will better fit this story. I could name it “Ryker”, but things like that have been done so many times.

What do you guys think?

That sounds like actual effort.

I don’t know which one that is. I have too many ideas/drafts.

That is a good idea, but then, I really can’t be bothered rewriting the whole damn thing for the second draft because Billy says X is off and Sammy won’t accept it because Y if I wanna publish it. I wanna self publish, but that takes too much work as well.

2 Likes

Literally running around town. My schedule is stretched thin between work, research projects, meetings, the bookshop (We had a very successful launch!) and my other responsibilities. I have to facilitate a workshop in less than an hour to discuss ‘the worst book in the world’. Barely done any prep for it. Haven’t done any reading or writing lately. Worse, I think I’m coming down with the flu gaaah :face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

I’ve had the flu all weekend, and honestly, the best thing to do if you have it is to rest. Running around will make it worse. Keep hydrated and take vitamins.

3 Likes

I am tired and need a break from typing. Yet I am full of story dumps for one of my two stories. My typing skills are getting dull, and it is showing.

I am going to take a break now. I should write down my ideas, but I hate handwriting with a passion. I can only handle but so much of it.

2 Likes

Spent some time reviewing my story sharing strategies for next year. Still fine tuning and making preparations now.

But I’ve decided to stop using novel sites like wattpad etc. They weren’t working out for me. Since I’m not gathering a readership on free share sites, I mind as well try my best to gather another way.

It’s a brave move for me as I know readership chances are going to be extremely lower than they already are and that is low enough. 3 casual readers are the most I can achieve for any story (and not at the same time. It could be weeks or months before one comes along). Otherwise, most times my stories are unread anyway.

This is the reason I made the decision. To stop focusing on readership whilst completing the works, so I can complete as many as possible.

Also, there’s no point in investing time and energy into something that’s not going to give. It’s better I try to tap into a channel or avenue that might and/or will.

2 Likes

Time to get back to writing my story dumps.

1 Like

I hear you. Radish isn’t earning me much, but, like, it’s earning me something… while readership is not coming my way from Wattpad. But I like workshopping on Wattpad, so I am a bit stuck.

2 Likes

The review I was working on is done! I am going to start the next chapter, and see how reading progresses tomorrow.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s tough.

The recent places I used were so small and, like most sites, where there were more writers than readers, and everyone had to get by with R4R. Some sites owners weren’t willing to invest their own promotional activities and rather use their members to spread the word. Viral should only be one part of the marketing strategy. Not the.

At least on paid channels, if I have a reader, I know they were interested in the story.

But readership isn’t my biggest challenge right now. So, decided to switch-up my strategy.
Tackle one battle at a time.

2 Likes

At this point, my brain is a jellified anal bead and is in no condition to write 50k :frowning:

3 Likes

Oh my gosh! I have been blazing through these story dumps. Just jotting down every single idea or whatever that is crossing my mind.

I was at 1,831 words, but now I am at 2,494 and tired from writing and thinking.
I am exhausted.

I know I can do more, but I am struggling to not make mistakes as I type. Since I am physically tired from typing, I will not switch up and write by hand.

I am going to take a break and relax.
It is 9:32 pm at night and I should be asleep, but I will not sleep because I am a glutton for punishment. LOL!

So, I shall leave the rest of my story dumps for tomorrow.
I have a busy tomorrow anyway.

Nothing else to report.

3 Likes

I WROTE SOMETHING LOL

3 Likes

I’ve been seeing a lot if people who could use his power.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great approach. Alas, for me, the only thing I ever wanted were the readers, so I dunno how I can go about that except maybe posting everything free on Radish and opening a new account on Wattpad for lurid stuff. But what if people don’t really read lurid stuff? Argh.

Anyway, I got to 45.8K yesterday, but didn’t finish chapter yet. Have a frig-ton of reading today, so that’s what I am gonna do. And, like, yeah, working today too.

3 Likes

Lurid might do better on sites geared for severe lewdness. But not all of us are Shel Silverstein. Lmso

2 Likes

Honestly, I just don’t know.

1 Like

Just a quick look around the first choice is Literotica, a site around since '98, and what people bring up for it.

Depending on how it’s run, it might be a place to put excerpts, get specific feedback for that, since that is their focus?

But this one does list other sites, just haven’t gone too far down that rabbit hole because I REALLY ain’t trying to work myself back into finishing that one stupid erotica this year. Lmao

2 Likes

I just want to be read on Wattpad… like, I can’t write teen-fiction. My mafia didn’t fly. That leaves spicy stuff, but I can’t put it on my account.

2 Likes