Stupid Question: How long do you wait till you start the edits of your first draft?

Just curious!
I finished my novel July 24 of this year. Anyway, I am curious to know how long do you personally wait to start edits for your first draft. Does it take you weeks or a few months or a few days?

I need your personal opinion on this one.

What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Itā€™s variable. Ideally itā€™s once the first taste of the story has faded so that Iā€™m looking at it with eyes not caught up in the original build. Some stories, that can take a good year to do.

For others under a time constraint, itā€™s a matter of forcing myself to look at it in a different way.

For example, the two I did for ONC, they were edited directly after the first draft. So they are both complete, in a basically finalized mode within a monthā€™s time. But itā€™s only now that Iā€™m thinking back that I managed to mentally put aside a lot of the details of both. So, I think a safe ā€œfresh editā€ is about 2-3 months for meā€“and I didnā€™t take that time. The final edit on To Make a Kinder Childrenā€™s Tale was done just behind those two about 2-3 years after writing it.

Now, all of that was done with extremely minimal feedback, which at the best means itā€™s not been edited for an audienceā€¦although one did get some feedback of someone who disliked it: which is actually useful, at times.

2 Likes

I usually wait minimum 3 months, but can wait up to a year. The smallest wait time Iā€™ve had is 2 months, and thats only because I wanted to add it onto Radish after approval. It needs another run through but I was happy with the 2nd draft XD

3 Likes

I usually start something new and then anytime I want to work on something else or donā€™t want to work on the one Iā€™m writing I do the edits.

2 Likes

It depends on where the feedback is sitting. Normally, I want at least 1 serious beta reader to have finished the book completely, 2 or 3 is even better. Plus, when another book(S) are finished or if there is ONC going on.

1 Like

I usually start editing immediately since Iā€™ve forgotten the beginning by the time I get to the end anyhow. (ā™Æ^.^įƒ¦)

2 Likes

Depends what type of edit you mean. If thereā€™s a scene or two you neglected to write into the initial manuscript, you can go in and write it/them pretty much asap. Iā€™d even say something similar if you wanna rewrite any scenes.
If youā€™re talking about nitty-gritty revisions, though, Iā€™d wait six months to a year if itā€™s something youā€™re serious about. Work on other projects in the meantime and read books to cleanse your palate and remind you what prose and pacing look like in edited pieces.

If itā€™s something youā€™re just putting out for fun, though, use your own discretion. Itā€™s usually more fun to do your edits while you still have the momentum of finishing a manuscript.

2 Likes

Depends on my mood, really. Sometimes straight away, sometimes a few days/weeks/months later :thinking:

2 Likes